The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Salad bars at FF burger places

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 9:40 AM (permalink)
On another thread I mentioned McDonald's having a salad bar in the 70's.  Many people said they don't recall salad bars at burger chains.  Does anyone else remember SB at McD, Roy Rogers, Wendy's and I believe Arby's had a small salad bar.
<message edited by ChrisOC on Mon, 12/10/12 9:44 AM>

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
    Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 10:02 AM (permalink)
    I posted in that other thread that Wendy's had a salad bar in the 90's.  I don't remember seeing them anywhere else at a burger place.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 10:05 AM (permalink)
      Burger King definitely had a salad bar in the 80's, at least on Long Island.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
        Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 10:09 AM (permalink)
        In the early 80's, I got kicked out of a Wendy's along with several of my colleagues for abusing their "all you could eat" salad bar.
         If I remember correctly, we might have consumed a bit of "herbal" appetite enhancer before dining.
        Carl's Jr also had salad bars in their stores in CA.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
          Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 10:58 AM (permalink)
          Definitely remember the Wendy's salad bar, but I don't remember ever getting it. Was it the same bar that they had toppings for their baked potatoes?

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
            Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 11:42 AM (permalink)
            A salad bar at a FF joint is as functional as a screen door on a Submarine.

kland01s

Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 12:32 PM (permalink)
              I seem to remember that Wendy's had 2 options. You could get the salad bar and you got a big plate and could go back but if you ordered the side salad you were given a small bowl and could take only one trip. 

kman160

• Total Posts: 160
                Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 12:41 PM (permalink)
                Red Barn had a large salad bar. 1st place I ever went with the family that we salad as a meal.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
                  Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 1:54 PM (permalink)
                  It wasn't fast food, but the very first time I ever saw a salad bar anywhere was at Chuck's Steakhouse on the Boston Post Road in Orange, Connecticut in 1964. I'd never heard of such a thing. I even went over and looked at it.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3294
                    Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 2:17 PM (permalink)
                    Around here, the only FF chain to ever have a salad bar was Wendy's, from about the mid-80's to maybe 1994. Pizza Hut used to have one in the 80's, when you could still find one that had a seating area instead of just a take-out counter. Never saw one at Burger King, or McDonald's, or Burger Chef, or Rax.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 2:29 PM (permalink)
                      chewingthefat

I disagree.  On more than one occasion I've been dragged to a Wendy's by a particular gluttonous friend. At least at the salad bar I could eat something that resembled actual food, as opposed to the dreck they were slinging at the counter. 

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                        Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 3:09 PM (permalink)
                        Pigiron

Burger King definitely had a salad bar in the 80's, at least on Long Island.

Burger Queen had a salad bar.  BQ morphed into Druther's. The salad bar was very good for a hamburger joint.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                          Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 5:04 PM (permalink)
                          Pigiron

chewingthefat

I disagree.  On more than one occasion I've been dragged to a Wendy's by a particular gluttonous friend. At least at the salad bar I could eat something that resembled actual food, as opposed to the dreck they were slinging at the counter. 

Well, there is that, I was thinking crappy burger chain has crappy salad bar. I don't recall ever seeing one, although anytime I've been to a chain, 95% of the time I drive thru.

jman

Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 6:42 PM (permalink)
                            chewingthefat

Well, there is that, I was thinking crappy burger chain has crappy salad bar. I don't recall ever seeing one, although anytime I've been to a chain, 95% of the time I drive thru.

There's your problem.  Going through a drive-thru to get your food at a FF place pretty much guarantees bad results.  By the time you get back home or the office, the food has continued to cook down into an homogenous mess.  A Wendy's burger eaten inside is pretty good, as is a Whopper from BK if you ask them to cook it fresh and not microwave it. 

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
                              • Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                              Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 6:50 PM (permalink)

Some of these were not actual "salad bars", but they were "Fixins bars"  ... a small bar with lettuce, onion, tomato, etc. to top your burger.   Burger Chef was well known for this, and I think Wendy's might have done it for a while. 

Glenn

jman

Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 6:58 PM (permalink)
                                Glenn1234

Some of these were not actual "salad bars", but they were "Fixins bars"  ... a small bar with lettuce, onion, tomato, etc. to top your burger.   Burger Chef was well known for this, and I think Wendy's might have done it for a while. 

Glenn

Nope, Wendy's was a full salad bar.  You weren't allowed to fix up your burger unless you paid for the salad bar.

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
                                  Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/10/12 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                  chefbuba

In the early 80's, I got kicked out of a Wendy's along with several of my colleagues for abusing their "all you could eat" salad bar.
                                  If I remember correctly, we might have consumed a bit of "herbal" appetite enhancer before dining.
                                  Carl's Jr also had salad bars in their stores in CA.

I hope you had your pants on when you did that.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                                    Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Tue, 12/11/12 7:36 AM (permalink)
                                    I can confirm salad bars at Wendy's (at least some of them) and Red Barn.  Wendy's switched to pre-made salads at some point.  Not sure why.  Actually, Wendy's seemed to try several ideas that appeared to work well but were dropped.  I've seen some that don't have the single line anymore.  And they used to send somebody out during busy times to get people's orders while they waiting in line.  All they did was write the order down and hand it to the person, but it made people think about what they wanted BEFORE they got to the counter and, as a result, made the line move a lot faster.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                      Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Tue, 12/11/12 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                      Glenn1234

Glenn

Believe Burger Chef introduced this concept.

kland01s

Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Tue, 12/11/12 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                        I don't consider Pizza Hut fast food but chain food. They still have salad/pizza bars for lunch in many locations. I know in rural northwest Illinois, in many small towns the Pizza Hut is the only option and they all have lunch/pizza bars because we have stopped at many of them when we travel that way. My partner is vegetarian and very few mom and pops out that way can accommodate.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                          Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Fri, 12/14/12 8:20 PM (permalink)
                                          My daughter was working at Wendy's at the time. To get a salad bar, a Wendy's had to consistently pass a rather strenuous cleanliness test. Hers did.

Bart

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                                            Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Sun, 12/16/12 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                            I remember (in the same location) Gino's had a salad bar. Gino's became Roy Rogers with a salad bar that was phased-out a few years before closing. Wendy's took over and had a salad bar for a short run.

cathyftr

• Total Posts: 87
                                              Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Sun, 12/16/12 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                              Wasn't Wendy's salad bar called the "Super Bar" ??? 
                                              Besides salad they offered I believe a pasta bar and for a time a taco bar when one could make their own tacos and taco salads. Actually the latter I have in my collection an old radio spot for them advertising that one but it didn't mention the pasta or use the name "Super Bar" though.  The ad was from either March or April 1982. Easy to find that one out since after the ad the dj mentioned the "recent" death of John Belushi.

joclyn

• Total Posts: 360
                                                Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/17/12 2:14 AM (permalink)
                                                yes, wendy's was the 'super bar' at some point and they had some hot pasta items as well as cold pasta salads. 

gino's had a salad bar.  i remember it well since it was my responsibility when i worked there :)

roy rogers did as well - and i think at least one of them (in maryland) still does. i didn't take all that good a look because i was in a bit of a rush - there did seem to be more there than condiments though.

i think it was gino's that started it - not sure though.  i don't remember any mc d's or burger kings having the salad bars, just gino's and then the roys added them.  (no wendy's in the area really except for the one in glenolden and that one didn't open until '81 or '82 and i don't think i ever was inside, just used the drive through).

CCinNJ

Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/17/12 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  I have fond memories of Gino's. I was very young during the Gino's years...but I remember my Father loved the salad bar. Gino's had separate left/right smoking/non-smoking sections.

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                                    Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Mon, 12/24/12 5:49 PM (permalink)

wendys salad bar commercial

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                                                      • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Wed, 01/2/13 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                                      joclyn

yes, wendy's was the 'super bar' at some point and they had some hot pasta items as well as cold pasta salads. 

gino's had a salad bar.  i remember it well since it was my responsibility when i worked there :)

roy rogers did as well - and i think at least one of them (in maryland) still does. i didn't take all that good a look because i was in a bit of a rush - there did seem to be more there than condiments though.

i think it was gino's that started it - not sure though.  i don't remember any mc d's or burger kings having the salad bars, just gino's and then the roys added them.  (no wendy's in the area really except for the one in glenolden and that one didn't open until '81 or '82 and i don't think i ever was inside, just used the drive through).
                                                      I don't know if Roy Roger's ever had or now has a salad bar, but the fixins bar has lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, sometimes red onions as well, pepper rings, some sort of pico di gallo and one or two other items, as well as all the sauces.  They often have a big canister of Old Bay, and a bottle of the hot sauce with the wooden cap (Chalulu or something like that).  The fixins bar does resemble a salad bar.

CCinNJ

Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Wed, 01/2/13 3:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        Roy Rogers discontinued the majority of salad bars in the late 80s.

JohnChavesDDS

• Total Posts: 3
                                                          • Location: West Hollywood, CA
                                                          Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Thu, 01/3/13 8:34 AM (permalink)
                                                          Wow, classic commerical.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
                                                            • Joined: 10/18/2004
                                                            • Location: New Whiteland, IN
                                                            Re:Salad bars at FF burger places Sun, 01/6/13 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                                            fishtaco

Believe Burger Chef introduced this concept.

First time I ever saw a salad bar anywhere was at Burger Chef. A buddy and I didn't know, got Big Chefs and fries, sat down, then saw the salad bar.  We had no clue that you had to pay extra for it, or why there were no plates or forks. Like 2 morons, we helped ourselves, putting it all on our orange plastic trays......ewww!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com