The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Question about Field Roast veggie dogs...

djdawg

• Total Posts: 439
Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Thu, 12/13/12 4:14 PM (permalink)
I can't believe I'm even considering carrying these but I have had people ask about them more and more lately... veggie dogs that is. a buddy of mine told me that this specific brand came with each dog in its own plastic sleeve. and apparently the way he cooks them is right in the sleeve... then right before serving he takes the sleeve off. that way he was able to cook them in the same steam pan along with the other dogs. I checked the cooking instructions on the package when I found them at Costco and they say to remove the sleeve before cooking.... so I'm wondering if my friend is Looney or what...lol. I haven't been successful in contacting him to see if he knew what he was talking about. anyone else seen this brand and have you cook them in the sleeves? I apologize for the grammar of this post, it's not easy posting a new thread on the phone....

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
    Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Thu, 12/13/12 4:54 PM (permalink)
    Seeing is believing, buy a package and try it.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 740
      Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Fri, 12/14/12 8:52 AM (permalink)
      I had a guy order a 100% beef dog once cuz he didn't eat pork.When he saw I steamed them is the same pan as pork sausages he walked away in disgust. So I would cook them separate, sleeve or no sleeve.

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Fri, 12/14/12 10:58 AM (permalink)
        That's the problem jcheese...I don't have the space to cook them separately. Although when I switch to nights I have been considering dropping chili and if I did that it would free up space...

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
          Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Fri, 12/14/12 1:26 PM (permalink)
          Kevin,
          I thought you had a grill.

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Fri, 12/14/12 9:35 PM (permalink)
            Nope....no grill

LeafEater

• Total Posts: 2
              Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Sat, 12/15/12 2:12 PM (permalink)
              Hey dj,

I work with FR, So let me answer your questions. 

Our Frankfurter, which is like a hot dog but yummier! is what your friend was referring to. In it's retail packaging each frank is individually wrapped in food grade plastic and can be boiled in it! Perhaps I'm biased, but our Frankfurter is the best! it's actually an option at Safeco Field and a few other MLB parks across the country!

What you found at Costco is our multipack of our 3 sausages, they're made a bit differently, but are just as amazing! However we don't recommend they be boiled in their packaging.

The field roast factory is right in Seattle! So if your business is also in Seattle you could order direct from us. Feel free to message me, I would loved to hear about your business and help you out in any way.

Thanks!

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Sun, 12/16/12 11:03 AM (permalink)
                Hey Leafeater (great name!)  Thanks so much for chiming in here...that's great to know!  As you may or may not know, a lot of us street hot doggers have pretty small carts so space is limited.  You can't very well cook/boil, etc a veggie dog in the same water/pan as the rest of the dogs so this idea of it being in a sleeve is fantastic!

So...I'm north of Seattle in Bellingham....about 90 miles north.  The franfurters you mention are not carried at Costco or Cash and Carry......are there any other locations near me that might carry them?  I don't go down to the big city anymore....lol

LeafEater

Hey dj,

I work with FR, So let me answer your questions. 

Our Frankfurter, which is like a hot dog but yummier! is what your friend was referring to. In it's retail packaging each frank is individually wrapped in food grade plastic and can be boiled in it! Perhaps I'm biased, but our Frankfurter is the best! it's actually an option at Safeco Field and a few other MLB parks across the country!

What you found at Costco is our multipack of our 3 sausages, they're made a bit differently, but are just as amazing! However we don't recommend they be boiled in their packaging.

The field roast factory is right in Seattle! So if your business is also in Seattle you could order direct from us. Feel free to message me, I would loved to hear about your business and help you out in any way.

Thanks!

LeafEater

• Total Posts: 2
                  Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Wed, 12/19/12 5:03 PM (permalink)
                  Hey Dj,

I completely understand the cart dilemma, we have a lot of cart customers that have similar situations. 

I'm still to new to the forum and the admin settings won't let me PM you.. so feel free to email me or call our office and we'll help you out, and we could send you some samples.

Thanks,
                  Dean

email: dean.stanford@fieldroast.com
                  office phone: 1-800-311-9497

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Fri, 12/28/12 6:38 AM (permalink)
                    I received some samples from Fieldroast and damn if they weren't pretty good.  I'm not a vegetarian guy at all but I would eat these....ha ha.  Indeed you CAN cook them in the plastic sleeve which is a godsend!  You can cook them in the same pan as you do your other dogs!!!  Cost is about .83 a dog (less if you buy more than one case at a time) and I sold 6 tonight @ $5 and people didn't bat an eye.  Got very good response when people tasted them.....that's 6 sales I wouldn't have gotten otherwise since I couldn't really swing them over to a polish or chicken saus....here's the link to the frankfurters.  They are the ones you can cook in the sleeve...

http://www.fieldroast.com/products/food-service/frankfurters/

happyhotdogs

• Total Posts: 25
                      Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Sun, 12/30/12 2:26 AM (permalink)
                      I'm curious djdawg...did you 'special order' cook these or did you just give it a whirl and some customers happen to show up to purchase these?  I hate throwing a small batch in just to throw them out at the end of the day...

And if in 'made to order' mode, how long did they take to cook to delivery to customer?

Thanks! 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9580
                        Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Sun, 12/30/12 3:06 AM (permalink)
                        Leafeater,
                        I'm not a vegetarian but your products look good on your web site and I see Whole Foods carries them down here.
                        I'll give them a try.

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Sun, 12/30/12 5:37 PM (permalink)
                          happyhotdogs, no I didn't special order cook....I put some in and just ran with it.  I agree with you - throwing out food at the end of the day sucks but I've learned that it's part of the cost of doing business.  I try and estimate what I might sell....but sometime it's a guessing game.  I recently switched to nights and am working the bar crowd so in the early part of the night I throw a bit of everything in...I don't go crazy but I have some of everything in the pan.  Then I'm getting to know the night and can tell if it feels like a really busy night or so - so or whatever...then I add dogs as I go.  When I get the rush at bar closing time people aren't going to wait for a dog to cook so there has to be something ready...

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Sun, 12/30/12 5:41 PM (permalink)
                            f.y i....I don't pretend to be a pro at any of this but I would recommend to anyone to track what you sell.  From day one I have a tracking sheet that I use every shift that has all of my different dogs broken down (hot dog, polish, veggie, etc) and then it's broken down by hour.  That way I can see what my busy hours are and I can also average what I sell of each dog for the night.  I know if I sell an average of 12 polish sausages a night, I don't have to start the night by dropping in 20 in the water...thereby cutting down my shrinkage.  I know that's probably elementary to everyone but just thought I'd throw it out there.... 

jcheese

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Mon, 12/31/12 5:45 PM (permalink)
                              djdawg

Did you request and get free samples? I would like to try them, but ain't ready to invest.My clientle could give a s**T about healthy, but I want to grab an un-answered bunch that want a "Healthy Hot Dog".
                              I received some samples from Fieldroast and damn if they weren't pretty good.  I'm not a vegetarian guy at all but I would eat these....ha ha.  Indeed you CAN cook them in the plastic sleeve which is a godsend!  You can cook them in the same pan as you do your other dogs!!!  Cost is about .83 a dog (less if you buy more than one case at a time) and I sold 6 tonight @ $5 and people didn't bat an eye.  Got very good response when people tasted them.....that's 6 sales I wouldn't have gotten otherwise since I couldn't really swing them over to a polish or chicken saus....here's the link to the frankfurters.  They are the ones you can cook in the sleeve...

http://www.fieldroast.com/products/food-service/frankfurters/

jcheese

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Mon, 12/31/12 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                Did you request and get free samples? I would like to try them, but ain't ready to invest.My clientle could give a s**T about healthy, but I want to grab an un-answered bunch that want a "Healthy Hot Dog"
                                Tried Whole Wheat buns one day, first 6 said yes. Saved the other 2 for me. Will offer them for .25 more.
                                Gotta convince folks that a Dog is not automatically not healthy. Onions,cabbage, peppers, garlic,and tomato are good things.
                                The trick, I think, is getting those folks who wanna eat healthy stop at a Hot Dog Cart.
                                Maybe work on my marketing?
                                <message edited by jcheese on Mon, 12/31/12 6:08 PM>

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Tue, 01/1/13 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                  jcheese,

Yeah I got some free samples.  I honestly say that if you're not getting anyone asking about them, maybe it's not the right time to try them.  It seems like people that want veggie dogs are used to asking for them so if you're not getting anyone asking, maybe it's the wrong market for it.  When I was on days I would get a few people asking a week for them but since I switched to nights (college/young crowd) I was getting inquiries nightly. 

jcheese

Did you request and get free samples? I would like to try them, but ain't ready to invest.My clientle could give a s**T about healthy, but I want to grab an un-answered bunch that want a "Healthy Hot Dog"
                                  Tried Whole Wheat buns one day, first 6 said yes. Saved the other 2 for me. Will offer them for .25 more.
                                  Gotta convince folks that a Dog is not automatically not healthy. Onions,cabbage, peppers, garlic,and tomato are good things.
                                  The trick, I think, is getting those folks who wanna eat healthy stop at a Hot Dog Cart.
                                  Maybe work on my marketing?

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Thu, 02/7/13 1:00 AM (permalink)
                                    Thought I'd follow up on a few threads that I started and left hanging...ha ha!  Get it?  Hanging thread!  ha ha ha ha!

I'm sorry to report that while the Field Roast Veggie dogs are indeed delicious, I've had some issues in cooking and holding.  They cook up quickly and as I've mentioned you cook them in a sleeve so since they are protected you can cook them in the same pan that your regular meat dogs reside in.  The problem is that the ends become unraveled rather quickly in the hot water (sometimes within 30 mins) and that defeats the whole process because they are veggie dogs.  I've tried to transfer them to my bun pan after they get hot but they cool down too quickly there...I've also tried to balance them on top of the other dogs, slightly keeping them out of the water to make them last longer but that's hit or miss. 

When you first get the dogs they are linked together similar to old fashioned weiners.  At one end of the string of dogs is a metal clip and that end never becomes unraveled....if only both ends of all dogs had the metal clips I'd be in business!

sillydogz

• Total Posts: 113
                                      Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Thu, 02/7/13 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for the update! I had checked them out at whole foods and noticed/wondered if that would happen. 

I am planning on adding them to my cart when I open. 1 of my specialty dogs is going to be a vegan friendly chili cheese dog. Lots of vegetarians/vegans in this area and not many places to choose from! I'm hoping I can just squeeze them into their own pan so I don't have to worry about the cross contamination.

zumguteetz

• Total Posts: 171
                                        Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Thu, 02/28/13 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                        I have also used the Field Roast sausages - Italian and Chorizo....both pretty good.

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Thu, 02/28/13 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                          I might bring these back at some point when the weather improves and I'm betting I could find some metal clips to put on both ends of the sleeve...somehow crimping them....to keep them from unraveling. 

DWags541

• Total Posts: 174
                                            Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Mon, 05/6/13 3:41 AM (permalink)
                                            Dj,
                                            If you are heating your meat dogs in water, then even if you had a separate pan for your veg dogs, FR sausages would likely not hold up. In my experience, they are best done on a flat griddle or perhaps on a nice seasoned grill. They have a kind of texture that I don't think would take well to being "cooked" in water. And obviously you run into the cross contamination issues with your meat dogs anyway.

Keeping them in the sleeve seems interesting, but they are not individually crimped, so...

How about putting them in another seal-able food grade bag to heat them w water and keep them isolated from your meat water?

Good luck.

Dave

DWags541

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Mon, 05/6/13 3:53 AM (permalink)
                                              djdawg

I can't believe I'm even considering carrying these but I have had people ask about them more and more lately... veggie dogs that is. a buddy of mine told me that this specific brand came with each dog in its own plastic sleeve. and apparently the way he cooks them is right in the sleeve... then right before serving he takes the sleeve off. that way he was able to cook them in the same steam pan along with the other dogs. I checked the cooking instructions on the package when I found them at Costco and they say to remove the sleeve before cooking.... so I'm wondering if my friend is Looney or what...lol. I haven't been successful in contacting him to see if he knew what he was talking about. anyone else seen this brand and have you cook them in the sleeves? I apologize for the grammar of this post, it's not easy posting a new thread on the phone....

LOL. I am glad you are opening your mind to alternatives dj! Because earlier you seemed pretty well fixed on never serving veggie dogs. As a vegetarian, I fully support your venture into this realm, even if it is to make a few more bucks satisfying the needs of all those granola eating Berkley types!
                                              Peace!
                                              Dave

djdawg

No offense, but I will never carry a veggie, vegan, tofu, fake hot dog on my cart...ever. They can go buy granola at the food co-op. It's sacrilegious...

djdawg

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Mon, 05/6/13 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                Ha...you're right Dave! I was pretty dead set against it...but if people want to buy crap on a shingle, hell - I'll sell it to them! (I'm not saying that veggie dogs are crap on a shingle, lol)

Unfortunately, the veggie dogs didn't work out. The product is top notch but after the first week I couldn't give them away...go figure.

DWags541

Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Mon, 05/6/13 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  You probably shouldn't have marketed them as "crap on a shingle". You might have sold a couple. :)

C2CD

• Total Posts: 189
                                                    • Location: Beech Mountain, NC
                                                    Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Sat, 05/18/13 4:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    Has anyone tried or had any luck with Light Life Smart dogs? It is the only "Veggie Dog" I can seem to find in my area. I am considering putting a veggie dog on my menu as I get request for it, but I am not sure on a good brand, nor how to dress it. 

sillydogz

• Total Posts: 113
                                                      Re:Question about Field Roast veggie dogs... Tue, 05/21/13 8:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      I picked up some Field Roast Frankfurters to sell on my cart. Our area has a strong vegan/vegetarian population so I'd be stupid not to. I tried one myself and was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. 

Sunday I catered a 2nd birthday party for our daughter. Served a field roast to a vegan friend and she said it was the best vegan dog she's ever had. 

They're expensive but just prove you get what you pay for. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com