The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab

Holly Moore

Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab Thu, 12/13/12 6:23 PM (permalink)
I am trying to remember the name of a Chicago Bar that back in the late 60's specialized in Dungeness Crab and had at least one waiter who was a disbarred lawyer.  It was just north of the Loop, on a corner I think, bar on the first floor and dining room above. Also wondering if the place is still around?

Thanks.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
    Re:Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab Thu, 12/13/12 7:16 PM (permalink)
    Don't know the name of the bar, Holly, but our season in Oregon has been delayed til Dec. 31. 
     Dungeness crab season delayed again; harvest delayed until Dec. 31 | OregonLive.com
    And the SF crab guys were on strike but now settled.
      Deal set on Dungeness crab - strike ends - SFGate

<message edited by 1bbqboy on Thu, 12/13/12 7:38 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9587
      Re:Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab Thu, 12/13/12 11:12 PM (permalink)

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
        Re:Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab Fri, 12/14/12 2:24 AM (permalink)
        Nope.  Half Shell is still around, and a fair distance from The Loop.  Also, the entire establishment is in a basement, so it doesn't fit Holly's physical description.

Holly, I'll ask around.  You might do well to post the question at LTHForum.  Lotta old timers and restaurant history buffs there who might have your answer.

Buddy

Holly Moore

Re:Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab Fri, 12/14/12 12:23 PM (permalink)
          Great pic, 1bbyboy.

No, it's not the Half Shell.  As I recall it was an Irish Bar below. I was thinking something like Dobson's or Dotson's, but could be totally different.  It is where I discovered both dungeness crab and three martini lunches while working new products for McDs. Pretty much every Friday when we were in town. Our regular waiter was a disbarred lawyer who gave his customers no respect. Great experience.

Thanks for the input.
          <message edited by Holly Moore on Fri, 12/14/12 12:54 PM>

Holly Moore

Re:Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab Fri, 12/14/12 4:54 PM (permalink)
            Great recommend re LTH Forum. Got the right answer almost immediately along with another fascinating fact about the place.

Rene from LTH answered my query, "Hobson's Oyster Bar, at the corner of State & Illinois, is long gone. I don't know about the waiter but the original owner, Homer Hobson, once was a circus bareback rider."

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
              Re:Name of Chicago Bar Specializing in Dungeness Crab Fri, 12/14/12 9:10 PM (permalink)
              I told ya they'd know. (Dual post at LTH)

Buddy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com