The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!!

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 2 of 8, messages 31 to 60 of 212
EdSails

• Total Posts: 3555
Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Thu, 06/20/13 8:23 PM (permalink)
4 beers and 2 buffalo tenders and fries at Angel Stadium last night:
$69.25. And they lost....ouch!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
    Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Thu, 06/20/13 8:31 PM (permalink)
    A cheesesteak @ Yankee Stadium. Priceless. Somebody else picked up that tab...

...and I got a cheesesteak performance.
    <message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 06/20/13 8:49 PM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
      Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 06/21/13 9:04 AM (permalink)
      EdSails

4 beers and 2 buffalo tenders and fries at Angel Stadium last night:
      $69.25. And they lost....ouch!

And 7 bucks of that was to see Hamilton screw up both at the plate and in the field.

The big downside of Josh's enormous talent is that he needs constant coaching both on and off the field.  That said, I remain a big fan of Josh and wish him only the best.  I pray that the pressure he puts on himself from his lousy start won't lead him to "fall off the wagon". 

I "slo-mo'd" his last K and he jerked his head up as he began his final, futile swing, evidently trying to hit the ball to Mars when 400 to left would have done the trick. 

This year especially I note that the "physically large" hitters of today (M. Cabrera, Votto, C. Davis; even Harper and Puig) can go "oppo" with a short, smooth stroke. 

Don't you guys have a hitting coach to shorten that looping swing and have him keep his eye on the ball?  After all, he's a former batting champ!  (And Pujols grips his $270MM bat so tight he makes sawdust with every swing.  Yikes!).

As a Rangers fan, I thank the Angels for taking two "flakes" (Wilson & Hamilton) off our hands.

EdSails

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 06/21/13 2:27 PM (permalink)
        MetroplexJim

As a Rangers fan, I thank the Angels for taking two "flakes" (Wilson & Hamilton) off our hands.

Somehow none of these teams ever seem to learn that you can't "buy" a championship!

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 06/21/13 3:01 PM (permalink)
          EdSails

MetroplexJim

Somehow none of these teams ever seem to learn that you can't "buy" a championship!

Well, the Yankees have pulled that off a few times but are now suffering the bitter ashes of that with $100MM in long-in-the-tooth payroll sitting on the disabled list (A-Rod, the Magnificent Jeter, Texiera, and Granderson).  I can't see them finishing any higher than 4th. this year.  The Angels will be in even worse shape in two years, still owing Hamilton $50MM and Pujols over $200 MM.  Yikes!

$$$ savings aside, presently, who wouldn't trade either the Angels' or the Yanks' entire roster for that of the Orioles?

EdSails

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 06/21/13 4:28 PM (permalink)
            MetroplexJim

$$$ savings aside, presently, who wouldn't trade either the Angels' or the Yanks' entire roster for that of the Orioles?

The game that I went to on Tuesday, Pujols hit a home run. No men on base, just a solo HR. At this point, I'd trade the Angels entire roster for the lineup of the UCLA 2010 Women's Softball team. At least they won the Women's Collegiate Softball World Series!

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sat, 06/22/13 8:17 AM (permalink)
              As a Rangers' fan I have been lamenting (endlessly!) about "our" giving Chris Davis away to Baltimore.  The reason for this was the "glimpes" of potential greatness he gave us during his three partial seasons here.

Watching BP at the Park in those years it was evident to all who had the most power on the Rangers - not Cruz, not Hamilton, but "Crush".  In BP he swung the bat smoothly and (just like he does now) hit seemingly effortless "HR" to all fields.  Then, for giggles, he'd take a few 'crush' swings and sometimes put it into places that even Hamilton couldn't reach.

In 2009, as a nervous hometown boy of 23 (Longview is just east of Dallas), guess which swing he took into the game?  As a result he struck out 150 times in 398 AB (but did hit 21 HR). 

Along with a few "cups of coffee" in the 'Bigs, in 2010 - 2011 he hit .342 with 38 HR and 146 RBI in 153 AAA games!  Why the Rangers elected to keep Moreland rather than him I still cannot figure, but they let the Orioles "steal" him in their greatest trade since they got Frank Robinson from the Reds for Milt Pappas back in the 1960's.

When he was traded to Baltimore I immediatle posted a lament here that the Orioles had stolen a .300/30/100 player with "Warehouse Power".  Maybe I underestimated him a bit...
              at his present pace he might do that by the All Star Game!

I was led to post this today by a "factoid" I saw on the MLB Network the other day:  in his last 162 major league games for Baltimore, Davis has hit 50 HR and driven in 119!  Did I mention that he has always been a "plus" defender?

In any case, now that he swings within himself in the Show, it looks like he is there to stay.  And, as he is arbitration eligible for next season it looks like the big payday is not far away.  Congratulations, Chris!  (All I ask is that you do not eventually sign with the Yankees; Camden Yards was built with a hitter like you in mind!  And the food in Charm City is wonderful.) 

(Another bit of advice:  don't "do" the HR Derby at the AS Game; it might mess with your timing and your head like it did with Josh).  

<message edited by MetroplexJim on Sat, 06/22/13 10:02 AM>

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sun, 06/30/13 9:43 AM (permalink)
                At the halfway point THE MIGHY BUCCOS have the best record in baseball and are the first team to 50 wins - the first time the Bucs have done that since 1960, a year I remember so well and the Yankees would probably like to forget.

Pittsburgh:  get your a$$es into those empty PNC seats before they become the San Antonio Pirates!

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 07/3/13 9:52 AM (permalink)
                  This year the Mighty Buccos are the first team in the majors to reach 50 wins.  They haven't done that since 1960.

53 years later I can still rattle off that line-up:  Virdon, Groat, Skinner, Stuart, Clemente, Burgess, Hoak, Mazeroski.  Law, Friend, & Vinegar Bend with Face waiting in the pen.  Hal Smith and Rocky Nelson platooning for Burgess and Stuart. 

Bob "the Gunner" Prince and Jim "the Possum" Woods calling the games of KDKA and endlessly playing this by Bennie Benack and His All-Star Band:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDrO4vkk3I .

May the team of my youth Raise the "Jolly Roger" in 2013!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                    Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 07/3/13 10:26 AM (permalink)
                    MetroplexJim

At the halfway point THE MIGHY BUCCOS have the best record in baseball and are the first team to 50 wins
                    Isn't this a sign of The Apocalypse?

buffetbuster

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 07/3/13 10:43 AM (permalink)
                      SC-
                      No, but the Pirates sweeping the Brewers is!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                        Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 07/3/13 10:54 AM (permalink)
                        With the Brewers and White Sox playing so poorly their seasons are all but over, so at this point I'm hoping they at least cause problems for some playoff contenders later on.  The Cardinals, Pirates, and Reds all visit Milwaukee in September so the road to the NL Central title may very well go through Miller Park.

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 07/3/13 7:01 PM (permalink)
                          ScreamingChicken

MetroplexJim

At the halfway point THE MIGHY BUCCOS have the best record in baseball and are the first team to 50 wins
                          Isn't this a sign of The Apocalypse?

No, maybe it's back to 1960.  That truly was the team of destiny. 

Strictly from wonderful memories from my eight grade year: no one in the starting lineup hit 30 HR or drove in 100.  No one scored 100.  No one stole 20 bases.  Only Groat and Clemente hit .300.  But, they had solid starters who went deep into games and Elroy Face and his fabulous forkball to finish when necessary. 

Defensively, most were average save for Virdon who covered that expansive acreage in Forbes Fields' vast center field.  But, Maz and the Great One were the best defenders of their positions in the History of Baseball.

Maybe the 2013 Bucs found the "formula" in a time capsule.  In any case, I'm sure the Gunner is hearing the "Raise the Jolly Roger" call and is saying to himself "I wish i had thought of that!"

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sat, 07/20/13 6:29 PM (permalink)
                            Brandon Phillips slapped in the face with a 72.5 million dollar contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/b...ct-slap-220856559.html

CAN YOU SAY A$$HOLE!

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sun, 07/21/13 9:15 AM (permalink)
                              CajunKing

Brandon Phillips slapped in the face with a 72.5 million dollar contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/b...ct-slap-220856559.html

CAN YOU SAY A$$HOLE!

Phillips is 32 and his $12M/year guarantee runs through age 38 - at which point I doubt that he will be worth that much.  Truth be known, the Reds overpaid Votto.  truth be known, Phillips sounds like a guy who hit the Lotto for $72 mil and is envious of the guy who hit Powerball for $225 mil.  Suck it up Brandon, you're no Mazeroski.

By the way, who held the gun to Phillips head when he signed for $72MM?  Luca Brasi?

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 07/22/13 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                A few years back Jon Daniels made one of the best trades of the 21st. Century when he got Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Jerrod Saltamaccia, and Matt Harrison from Atlanta for a three month "rental" of Mark Texiera.  (Rumor has it that Texiera was trying on pinstripes in the Texas and Atlanta locker rooms).  That was six years ago.

Since, he has literally given away Chris Davis and Jerrod Saltalamaccia and kept Mitch Moreland, the weakest-hitting first baseman in the AL.

Last season he rented 69 innings with a 5+ ERA in Dempster at a cost of two decent prospects and now he's lusting after another mediocre Cubs pitcher on a career-defying hot streak.  Yikes!

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                  Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 07/22/13 11:56 PM (permalink)
                                  Good to see that dirtbag Ryan Braun getting what he deserves.  From the mouth of Ryan Braun- “I realize now that I have made some mistakes." He understands know only because he's been caught.  He didn't realize his mistakes when he was sticking a needle in his arm or when he failed last year's piss test, only to get off on a technicality, ferociously ruining the guy who had the FedEx package.  He's a piece of human garbage and he should be happy with 65 games. I hope baseball can take out the rest of the garbage as well, but I'm especially happy that they nailed that liar Braun.  Rick Sutcliffe scorched him on a broadcast tonight.  It was great. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9501101

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 07/23/13 9:52 AM (permalink)
                                    I just looked up "chutzpah" and there was a picture of Ryan Braun!

And now will come the dominos: A-Rod, Nellie Cruz, et al. - including the (now we know why he is) "ageless" Bartolo Colon.

Standing back a bit from this circus, how is testosterone or HGH so very different from using "modern medicine" to buy Ted Williams' eyes with LASIK?  Or "Tommy John surgery"?  Or ACL's that heal in less than a year, "better than before"?

I truly wonder what Ralph Kiner and Al Rosen could have done with "non-invasive micro-spine surgery" - and maybe a touch of LASIK.

As shames go, this one is indeed a "damned" one. 

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 07/23/13 10:14 AM (permalink)
                                      @#^$*!!! 

Jon Daniels has done it again - traded a treasure chest of talent for a mediocre "rental" for a team that is about to lose its RBI leader, Nellie Cruz.  Olt is a "Baseball America Top 20 Prospect", Grimm has a great arm that was prematurely pressed into MLB service this year, and all C. J. Edwards has done is strike out 11.6/9 innings and post a 1.86 ERA with a 0.95 WHIP in his 13 - 5 minor league career! 

But wait ... there are two more players to be named later!

And all this for a mediocrity who will be wearing pinstripes next season.

Somebody pass me a barf bag!

----------------------------

BTW, congratulations to all you long-suffering Cub fans.  You deserve a break and that idiot Daniels has given you a BIG one!

edit:  I forgot!  This time last year Daniels gave the Cubbies two prime prospects to the Cubbies last year in exchange for 97 innings of 5+ ERA.  One of them, Kyle Hendricks, is 9-3 in AA with a 1.91 ERA.  Sheesh!
                                      <message edited by MetroplexJim on Tue, 07/23/13 5:59 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
                                        Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 07/23/13 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                        Braun should be banned for life if for no other reason than just plain ARROGANCE!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 07/24/13 8:46 AM (permalink)
                                          So should the other players.......

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 07/24/13 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                            Lifetime bans are a little harsh.

Pharmaceuticals are just as much a part of modern medicine as LASIK, robot-assisted microsurgery, etc.  As I recall, didn't Zack Greinke have to "take something" to overcome the social anxiety disorder that plagued him early in his career?

The great injustice here is that when Barry Bonds, Palmeiro, McGwire, Sosa, Clemens, et al. "juiced", there was no MLB rule against such!  And the last time I looked ex post facto laws are forbidden by the Constitution.

Evidently, Braun and the others patronized Biogenesis to get "designer" PED's that were not on the "banned list".  Consequently, he never failed a drug test.  So, he and the others violated "the spirit" of the law, but not the "letter". 

In the real world, violating the spirit of the law without violating the letter is not a crime; it is in fact the true "national pastime" of politicians, lobbyists, and lawyers. Otherwise, 80% of them would be behind bars.  Hell, bald-faced lying in the public square is even rewarded.  What is considered vile by a ballplayer is considered "clever" in a politician. 

As a societal concern this "juicing business" shouldn't even be a fart in the wind; it is on a par with Jessica Alba purchasing her very fine secondary sexual characteristics.

All that said, the Biogenesis group probably deserves sanction by MLB for "conduct unbecoming".  They all probably had a business card from braun's lawyer and thought they could get away with it.  In a business sense, anything that diminishes the popular credibility of their "product", should be sanctioned by MLB. 

In the meantime will someone please explain why Zack Greinke taking a psychoactive drug (pobably Paxil) to overcome "social anxiety disorder" is so very different from whatever Luis Gonzalez took to hit 57 HR or Brady Anderson to hit 50?  Those "feats" diminished the credibility of the game far more than McGwire hitting 70 yet no one ever mentions them.

Hell, we've had "the dead ball" era, the "lively ball era", the "high mound era" and none of those inhibited anyone's entry into the HOF.  Why not simply acknowledge the "PED era" and admit thise who excelled in it relative to their peers into Cooperstown?  IMHO, without Bonds, Clemens, and Palmeiro it isn't a real HOF. 

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 07/26/13 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                              MJ - As one of the long suffering cubbie fans I say THANK YOU for your loss.  Now if we could get these prspets to actually play like they are big leaguers.

I agree with you on the HOF - baseball needs to just admit it and live with the fact that there was a "PED era".

I also think the HOF needs a section for the banned for life section,
                                              shoeless joe and pete rose should be in the HOF.  Rose is an @$^* of the 10th power, but he played with his heart and soul and got the record the old fashioned way.  Play through the pain and play day to day.

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 07/26/13 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                                CK - Even after Garza won his Rangers debut Nolan Ryan was grousing about giving up C. J. Edwards in the trade.

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 07/26/13 6:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  I was actually sad to see Garza go, but the "Whiz Kid" wants youth and to shed the $$$$$.  (even if they have to eat it like they did with sorry-ah-no. (at least he is back with the Bombers and he can extend his career as a DH, cause his fielding was horrible)

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 07/29/13 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                                    MILWAUKEE FANS THANK RYAN BRAUN FOR FREE FOOD AND DRINKS

The Brewers have decided to give $10 vouchers to every fan that turns the turn stiles at a home game in August.

http://sports.yahoo.com/b...un-2013-181202291.html

They are paying for it with the money they are saving from NOT having to pay Braun

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 07/30/13 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                                      CajunKing

They are paying for it with the money they are saving from NOT having to pay Braun

I think that Braun may be the one laughing hardest - and last -here.  The reason he "gave up so easily" was to preserve his contract.  The next time he suits up he will be age 30 with the Brewers still owing him $140 MM+.

Pujols will be 34 before he resumes his first base duties with the Angels who will owe him an additional $212 MM before his additional $100 MM "personal services" contract kicks in!  At this point, pobre Pujols looks more like the "second coming" of Orlando Cepeda.  

Don't the owners know history?  In general, HOF players do not have HOF seasons after age 34.  This includes Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Foxx, Banks, Roberts, Matthews, Mays, and Mantle.  Yes, Musial, Williams, and Aaron played into their early 40's but none had anything even  resembling one of their "prime seasons".  Among the very few exceptions (e.g., Warren Spahn) were, "with a little help from their friends", Bonds and Clemens.

If A-Rod (or his agent) has a brain he'll beg for the "Braun deal" and preserve the nine figures that still remain on his Yanqui contract!
                                                      <message edited by MetroplexJim on Tue, 07/30/13 11:00 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Location: McKinney, TX
                                                        Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 07/30/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                                        Even setting that ridiculous contract aside, does anyone here think that the Cards would trade Allen Craig even-up for Pujols?

The Cards, Pirates, Cubs, Nats, Rays, A's, O's, Royals, Snakes, and (for the most part) Rangers are great organizations.  The Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, and Jays are to be pitied. 

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 07/30/13 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                                          Pirates beat the Cardinals last night 9-2.  Double header today.......could mean first place again for them.  Go Bucs!

MetroplexJim

• Location: McKinney, TX
                                                            Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 07/30/13 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                                            lleechef

Pirates beat the Cardinals last night 9-2.  Double header today.......could mean first place again for them.  Go Bucs!

Indeed; DVR is set on MLB Channel for 15:00 CDT.

Ya know, I should spread me some 'mator soss on Wunner Bread, sprinkle me some 'regano 'n garlik powder, finish with some dried par-me-shun, and bake at 350 on a greased cookie sheet:  (almost) instant Augustine's Pizza, the "official pizza" of PNC Park!

At the "factory":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2AfkDGbFM . 

At home, "how to":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnwykw3Z-Rg 
                                                            <message edited by MetroplexJim on Tue, 07/30/13 3:35 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 2 of 8, messages 31 to 60 of 212

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com