The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!!

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 7 of 8, messages 181 to 210 of 212
FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1503
Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 10/29/13 11:43 AM (permalink)
Gonna be Lobster and Baked Beans at the celebratory Dinner!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
    Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 10/29/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
    Don't forget the Sangria!

Go Sox!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
      Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 10/29/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
      CCinNJ

Big Papi "had a book" on Wacha by his third at-bat. Many of the best hitters in baseball can be somewhat puzzled when facing talented young pitchers for the first time.

That happens to the Yankees all the time. They often lose games to talented young pitchers...making their ML debut.

I remember seeing (on TV) a young pitcher making his second MLB start vs. 'my' Buccos. 

In his first start he had one-hit the Phillies, but it was all downhill from there! 

CCinNJ

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 10/29/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
        I saw his statue pitching outside of AT&T Park.
        <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 10/29/13 12:29 PM>

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 10/29/13 4:52 PM (permalink)
          CCinNJ

I saw his statue pitching outside of AT&T Park.

Except for the time he hit John Roseboro with his bat, he was a real class act.  I always enjoyed watching him pitch with that mesmerizing high kick.  IMHO, he and Gibson were the best RHP's of their era. 

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
            Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 10/30/13 3:15 AM (permalink)
            OJ Simpson was a class act aside from murdering Nicole Brown Simpson and being found guilty of armed robbery and kidnapping.

Great running back, however.  And Marichal was a great pitcher. 

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 10/30/13 10:42 AM (permalink)
              saps

OJ Simpson was a class act aside from murdering Nicole Brown Simpson and being found guilty of armed robbery and kidnapping.

Great running back, however.  And Marichal was a great pitcher. 

Point well-taken.

(Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?) 

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 10/30/13 11:14 AM (permalink)
                There's still a dugout box seat available for tonight's game for $10,894.20 if anyone is interested.  Oh, come on, if the Sox win, it'll be the first time they won the World Series at Fenway since 1918!!!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 10/30/13 10:43 PM (permalink)
                  I am going to bed, it was 6 - 0 so......

CC & the SOX congrats

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Thu, 10/31/13 7:50 AM (permalink)

Congratulations to

Red Sox Nation !!!

<message edited by MetroplexJim on Thu, 10/31/13 7:52 AM>

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sat, 11/2/13 7:15 PM (permalink)
                      Award time!

AL MVP:  Miggy - you could see how toothless the Tigers were with him hurting.
                      AL CY:  Mad Max - SABREmetricians don't value wins; I do.  Darvish was better.
                      AL Mgr:  Farrell - cellar to WS Champs; pay the man his due!

NL MVP:  Yadi - Cards had losing record with him out of the lineup.
                      NL CY:  Kershaw - who else, really?
                      NL Mgr:  Hurdle - no collapse this year; had the Pirates playing in Buctober!

Two under-rated managing jobs:  Giradi, who forged a winning record with bubblegum and bailing wire and Ron Washington who finished second despite losing 90 HR and 300 RBI to free agency and PEDs and having 4 of 5 starters on the DL.

CCinNJ

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Tue, 11/5/13 2:40 PM (permalink)
                        Thank you very much!

Wave wave wave!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                          Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 11/15/13 11:58 AM (permalink)
                          I wonder if the Orioles' Adam Jones ever checks in here.  Since his job requires a lot of travel it seems like he'd fit!

http://wapc.mlb.com/cutfour/2013/11/13/63883354/adam-jones-foodie-instagram

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 11/15/13 1:49 PM (permalink)
                            I missed on Yadi being NL MVP, but was surprised and delighted that #22, "The Next One" won - and won big.  Like #21, I'm guessing that you have to see him in person to appreciate him fully. 

Francona won the AL Mgr. more in sympathy for the raw deal he got in Beantown than for what he did with the up & down Tribe; Farrell 'wuz robbed'!
                            <message edited by MetroplexJim on Fri, 11/15/13 1:51 PM>

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Fri, 11/15/13 3:40 PM (permalink)
                              The tribe is not the only team getting a new stadium deal.  Last week a final deal was reached for the Nashville Sounds to be in their new home for the 2015 season.

The new park will be close to the site of the original baseball stadium that was in Nashville for many years.  The town seems excited about the Sounds moving "home" again.  It is another big development deal for Nashville, who has aleady spent over 1.1 BILLION dollars to new developement projects since LP field was built.

Is it February yet????

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sat, 11/16/13 8:35 AM (permalink)
                                Here's an off-season "off the wall" topic:

Since the 1970's I have thought "what a great thing it would be" to grant an MLB franchise to Habana.

The way I saw it then and now is that, if we did, the Castros' suppression of the Cuban people would be impossible for them to continue.  

And, who knows how many players of the caliber of Cespedes, Puig, Fernandez, Chapman, et al. we sadly have missed seeing in the past half-century.

And, maybe we could get real sugar back in Coca Cola.

Just a thought ...

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sat, 11/16/13 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                  It would be great to see the raw talent, but the US' stupid embargo and resrictions would never allow it.  Just think watching a bb game, in Habana, sipping a rhum and real coke while puffing on a Cubano.

I am in

CCinNJ

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sat, 11/16/13 5:53 PM (permalink)
                                    I raise my hand for Japan...

A little far for travel & be awake very early or late to watch....but it's always one big fun party from first to last pitch of baseball games in Japan.

Wave wave wave!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                                      Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sat, 11/16/13 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                      MetroplexJim

Just a thought ...

There's plenty of cane raised in the Caribbean. You don't need Cuba for that. Heck, there's plenty of sugar beets raised here in the U.S.

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sun, 11/17/13 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                        CajunKing

It would be great to see the raw talent, but the US' stupid embargo and resrictions would never allow it.  Just think watching a bb game, in Habana, sipping a rhum and real coke while puffing on a Cubano.

I am in

Exactly!

Most don't know that Castro had aspirations of being a big league ballplayer; that in fact he once tried out for the Washington Senators!  I have always thought that his ego couldn't resist the temptation to have a MLB franchise in Habana, if offered.  Soon after, media and cultural penetration would have made it impossible for him to maintain his totalitarian control of the Cuban people.

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sun, 11/17/13 9:35 AM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

MetroplexJim

Just a thought ...

There's plenty of cane raised in the Caribbean. You don't need Cuba for that. Heck, there's plenty of sugar beets raised here in the U.S.

You're forgetting about Brasil.  Their sugar output is so vast that cane ethanol made them 'energy independent' years ago.  (Together with U.S. financed deep-water drilling of the type that is now verboten off our ocean shores and in the Gulf!) 

Here in the U.S. "Big Sugar" is our most politically protected industry!  In the grocery stores I can get honey from Chile, Brasil, and Argentina; Brasilian cane sugar?  NO WAY!

(At least here in Dallas "Mexican (cane sugar) Coca Cola" is readily available.  Can you get it most anywhere in Columbus?)
                                          <message edited by MetroplexJim on Sun, 11/17/13 9:38 AM>

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1503
                                            Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sun, 11/17/13 5:50 PM (permalink)
                                            And in the aftermath..............................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-WhIpdqrNk

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                                              Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Sun, 11/17/13 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                              MetroplexJim

CajunKing

I am in

Exactly!

Most don't know that Castro had aspirations of being a big league ballplayer; that in fact he once tried out for the Washington Senators!  I have always thought that his ego couldn't resist the temptation to have a MLB franchise in Habana, if offered.  Soon after, media and cultural penetration would have made it impossible for him to maintain his totalitarian control of the Cuban people.

Holy Mackerel--Seriously?  Castro tried out for the Washington Senators?!?!?!?!?!?!  (They're the first game I went to as a kid.) 

That's just bizarre.  Thank you for sharing that tidibt!

MetroplexJim

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 11/18/13 7:21 AM (permalink)
                                                love2bake

MetroplexJim

CajunKing

I am in

Exactly!

Holy Mackerel--Seriously?  Castro tried out for the Washington Senators?!?!?!?!?!?!  (They're the first game I went to as a kid.) 

That's just bizarre.  Thank you for sharing that tidibt!

I had heard and read that stated as fact so many times over the years I took it to be true and repeated it here in this thread.  But, perhaps it is not.

Apparently, I had fallen victim to what Norman Mailer, in his biography of Marilyn Monroe, termed as a 'factoid' - something that does not exist until it appears in print. 

My favorite example of a factoid:  I had read - first as a boy reading Richard Halliburton's Book of Marvels - and even seen repeated on documentary films produced by PBS the "fact" that the Great Wall of China is the only work of mankind that is visible from the moon.  Makes sense, doesn't it?  After all, the Great Wall is almost 3,000 miles long ... but it is only 15 - 30' wide.  Oops!  (Play with Google Earth a bit and you will see that the Jersey Turnpike as it approaches NYC, 20 to 30 times wider than the Great Wall, is hardly distinguishable from only 25 miles "up").
                                                <message edited by MetroplexJim on Mon, 11/18/13 7:23 AM>

CCinNJ

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 11/18/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                                  As a tinkering bonus on the NJTP....you get a free view of <<<Hoboken>>> THE Birthplace of Baseball & unofficial 9th wonder of the world (@ 14C Holland Tunnel).

Easy on the brakes. Act like ya been there....

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                                                    Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 11/18/13 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                                    Awwww boo.  That was a great factoid!  Too bad he decided to ban professional sports in Cuba, but we certainly benefit from it.

ScreamingChicken

Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 11/18/13 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                                      Hopefully Castro's latest contribution to MLB will be worth the money the White Sox have given him.

MetroplexJim

• Location: McKinney, TX
                                                        Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Mon, 11/18/13 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        ScreamingChicken

Hopefully Castro's latest contribution to MLB will be worth the money the White Sox have given him.

Wow!  If he flops at MLB baseball he can always play MLB for da' Bears!

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                                                          • Location: Chicago, IL
                                                          Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Wed, 11/20/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                                          Went to PNC Park for a couple of games in Sept. with my 13-year-old son and we loved it! What a great place to watch baseball and what a fun team to watch. We're Chicagoans who are sick of watching the Cubs, so this road trip to Pittsburgh was quite refreshing.

ScreamingChicken

• Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                            Re:The Crack of the Bat; The Opening of the Wallets: BASEBALL 2013!!! Thu, 11/21/13 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                                            PNC is on our short list of parks to visit in the relatively near future.  I especially want to try one of the asphalt-filled pierogies that Bob Uecker recommends.

I see the Tigers have decided that having money to pay Max Scherzer is more important than having Prince Fielder, as they shipped him and $30mil to Texas for Ian Kinsler.  Is the Ballpark lefty-friendly when it comes to hitting?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 7 of 8, messages 181 to 210 of 212

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com