The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer?

breadandbutter

• Total Posts: 3
Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Mon, 12/17/12 4:25 PM (permalink)
Hey guys,
I'm just about to place the order for a 16x8.5' trailer that will house a full-service mobile kitchen for my catering company. I already have a 12' hood and fan unit - weighing in at oh, I'd guess between 250-300 lbs. I removed it myself from a local brick and mortar restaurant going out of business, it was attached with four wall mount brackets screwed into the 2x4 studs. That was it.

My trailer manufacturer seems to really, really want to sell me 12" on centre wall posts and ceiling roof bows instead of the standard 16" on centre. I have searched this forum extensively looking for build info - it seems that most people are putting their wall and ceiling supports at 16" on centre. Doing this would save me numerous hundreds of bucks.

They are going to build me a special brace for the mushroom for the roof, so not sure why I need extra support there. Plus it's just not that heavy (60 lbs or so).

Any thoughts? Any horrible mishaps with not enough support for the hood or other stuff (cabinets/racks/whatever)?

Thanks in advance!

Robyn

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
    Re:Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Mon, 12/17/12 4:27 PM (permalink)
    have you ever seen a trailer ? mainly the roof ? It's not really much too it. You will need a brace, and these guys are professional right ? if they are custom building you a trailer, then they can custom build it 16"  Maybe check other trailer manfans before you purchase something if you think you are going to get hosed

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1957
      Re:Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Mon, 12/17/12 4:40 PM (permalink)
      Where is the builder? Are they stuffing a kitchen in a cargo trailer or building a trailer from the ground up, or just giving you a shell?
      My trailer is built with 2x2 square metal tubing, 16" oc. It's built like a brick **** house.

breadandbutter

• Total Posts: 3
        Re:Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Mon, 12/17/12 5:45 PM (permalink)
        Hi Wild Dog: Yes, they are professional and they are installing a brace for the roof. My question is whether I need to upgrade the standard 16" on centre roof and wall supports to 12". I have been shopping for months and spoken to what feels like every trailer dealer on the planet :) but most of them seem to be having the trailers made at one particular manufacturer, Continental Cargo in Oregon (even the Canadian guys! I'm in BC Canada).

Chefbuba: The builder is Continental Cargo in Oregon - I'm dealing with one of their distributors, trailer showroom dot com. I am getting them to build the trailer shell... then put some stuff in it, like the concession window, doors, an electrical package, wall and ceiling coverings etc. My mom's husband is a commercial technician who installs commercial kitchens for a living so he's going to do the install, but of course he generally comes in after the structure is built. I'm pretty sure the wall and ceiling supports are also 2x2 square metal tubing.... and at 16" on centre as well it's good to hear that it will be built like a brick **** house :)

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
          Re:Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Mon, 12/17/12 6:51 PM (permalink)
          Ask them for specifics as to why they think you need this centering.  What is the load capacity at 16 inch, then what is the load capacity at 12 inch.  Do you need this added capacity.  Selling someone an open trailer that they are going to stuff can mean they want to be on the safe side, as they're not sure what your going to do.  By using the load capacities you are working from known numbers, not statements like a brick ***house.  The only other advantage to smaller centers, especially if you are cutting openings yourself, is it gives you more flexibility as to their size if you cut openings within the open areas of the supports.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Tue, 12/18/12 8:04 AM (permalink)
            All of the above is very good advice.

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
              Re:Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Mon, 12/31/12 4:40 PM (permalink)
              "I'm pretty sure the wall and ceiling supports are also 2x2 square metal tubing",I wouldn't hold my breath!Ask them what the frame is made from.ask what the roof is made from those top hat roof bows aren't that strong.also have them put that green ext.ply on the floor.I have a trailer that after 4 years is rotting by the back door because the wet roads and mud get up under the trailer and on to the plywood underside and has caused rot.You can also contact the manufactuer about what you want to do and ask them if it will be strong enough for your plans.If they don't know the dealer won't.you can also just have the 12"O.C in the area of your hood if needed.

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
                Re:Am I getting scammed by my trailer manufacturer? Tue, 01/8/13 4:54 PM (permalink)
                Are you sure a B&M hood will even work for you with a trailer height roof? Most B&M ceilings are higher than a trailer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com