Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My Year in Roadfood (2012)

Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 3 of 10, messages 61 to 90 of 271
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/8/13 12:12 PM (permalink)
So much fun! I find myself giggling at all your experiences......

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/8/13 10:25 PM (permalink)
    Here are some of the foods I tried for the very first time in 2012:

Albondigas Soup - El Charro (Tucson, AZ)

Bobbie - Capriotti's (Las Vegas, NV)

Burnt Ends Hash - RJ's Bob-Be-Que Shack (Mission, KS)

Charlie Chaplin - Mike's Candy Shop (Buffalo, NY)

Cheese Dip - Stoby's (Russellville, AR)

Chocolate Covered Datil Pepper - Luvin Ovens Hot Shot Bakery & Cafe (St. Augustine, FL)

Coca-Cola Cake - Marcy Jo's Mealhouse (Columbia, TN)

Crab Fluff - Seaside Restaurant & Crab House (Glen Burnie, MD)

Date Ice Cream - Shields Date Gardens (Indio, CA)

Dutch Lettuce - Coffee Cup Cafe (Sully, IA)

Fried Peaches - AQ Chicken House (Springdale, AR)

Frogmore Stew - Bowen's Island (Charleston, SC)

Guarapos - El Palacio de los Jugos (Miami, FL)

Hoppin John - Crooks Corner (Chapel Hill, NC)

Lady Lord Cake - Holiday Snack Bar (Beach Haven, NJ)

Mamey Batido - Latin American Cafeteria (Miami, FL)

Media Noche - Mario's Latin Cafe (Homestead, FL)

Nutella Pie - Pie Lab (Greensboro, AL)

Pig in a Pup - Mecca Restaurant (Raleigh, NC)

Pink Lady Peas - Jim Stalvey's Restaurant (Covington, GA)

Pit Beef - Chaps Pit Beef (Baltimore,MD)

Possum Pie - Stoby's (Russellville, AR)

Pot Roast Hash - Barbara Jean's (Ponte Vedra Beach, FL)

River Herring - Cypress Grill (Jamesville, NC)

Rutabagas - Bum's Restaurant (Ayden, NC)

Steamed Cheeseburger Omelet - The Lunchbox (Meriden, CT)

Sugar Cream Pie - Nick's Kitchen (Huntington, IN)

Sweet Corn Ice Cream - Broom's Bloom Dairy (Bel Air, MD)

Vanized Potato - Van's Pig Stand (Shawnee, OK)

Yuca - Mario's Latin Cafe (Homestead, FL)

Zelnik - Sykora Bakery (Cedar Rapids, IA)

<message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 01/25/13 4:59 PM>

kaszeta

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/8/13 11:45 PM (permalink)
      I miss El Charro.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 1:04 AM (permalink)
        I love Agua fresca, especially made with local fresh fruit. my favorite is melon and I's hoping will be serving some at a family gathering in Victorville , California this weekend.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
          BB, besides crab what's in the Crab Fluff from Seaside?  I don't see anything resembling celery and that alone makes it that much better...

ann peeples

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
            LadyLord Cake-Now THAT is what I am talking about.......

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 1:28 PM (permalink)
              You'd never eaten rutabaga before?

ann peeples

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 4:06 PM (permalink)
                Yes, Mr. Hoffman- I love it. Funny story-Dad would threaten rutabaga if i was naughty-I looked him in the eye and said I loved it. And i did/do!

Michael Hoffman

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 4:26 PM (permalink)
                  ann peeples

Yes, Mr. Hoffman- I love it. Funny story-Dad would threaten rutabaga if i was naughty-I looked him in the eye and said I loved it. And i did/do!

Ann, my question was to Buffetbuster. One of the first time ever pictures was of rutabaga.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 7:25 PM (permalink)
                    Rutabaga is near the very bottom of my veggies of choice. We always had to have a serving spoon of 'No Thank You Helpings' of everything served at the holiday dinners. AND Rutabaga would be my last choice every time.
                    I love Van's Pig Stand !!!

Mr Chips- Take lots of photos of the VV/Hesperia area  please. That's not only my home town...but the location of my second start in life back in the 80's. I taught in Hesperia and at Victor Valley College.  The desert back in the 50's was a very interesting place to grow up.
                    <message edited by mayor al on Wed, 01/9/13 7:26 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 7:28 PM (permalink)
                      Al, I love rutabagas. I always have. Mashed is my preferred way of eating them, and they're a must for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with turkey and everything. I thought I knew delicious mashed rutabagas, and then I ate the ones lleechef made. A whole other world of flavor and texture. And that world is a better one.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 7:46 PM (permalink)
                        The only way I would accept a rutabaga would be to feed it to a fine beef cow...then eat the cow !

But enough of this tangent on BB's thread... There are some fine dinner portions in the photos above.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/9/13 8:55 PM (permalink)
                          Michael Hoffman

Al, I love rutabagas. I always have. Mashed is my preferred way of eating them, and they're a must for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with turkey and everything. I thought I knew delicious mashed rutabagas, and then I ate the ones lleechef made. A whole other world of flavor and texture. And that world is a better one.

Is it a NE thing??  My cousin I can't stand is originally from up state NY and she loves Rutabaga and it was always her request to have it at the holidays.  She said she grew up with it.  She also made the most disgusting "Cheesecake" ever, this thing was so bad Jello Brand cheesecake is better.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 3:15 AM (permalink)
                            CajunKing
                            Michael Hoffman

Is it a NE thing??...
                            Funny you should think of it as a NE thing, because I've always associated rutabagas with Southern Cuisine.  My first exposure to mashed rutabagas was at Wishbone, a Southern style restaurant, here in Chicago.

Occasionally I'll mash rutabagas and regular potatoes together (maybe even toss in some turnips and parsnips) for a winter root vegetable mash.  The trick is to boil each tuber separately because they cook at different rates.

Buddy

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 8:56 AM (permalink)
                              Michael Hoffman

Hard to believe, but this was the first time, although I did eat it again later on in the year with wanderingjew in Atlanta.  Around here, I don't ever remember seeing rutabagas on a menu. 

Michael Hoffman

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                CajunKing

Michael Hoffman

Is it a NE thing??  My cousin I can't stand is originally from up state NY and she loves Rutabaga and it was always her request to have it at the holidays.  She said she grew up with it.  She also made the most disgusting "Cheesecake" ever, this thing was so bad Jello Brand cheesecake is better.

A New England thing? Probably not, as in New England rutabagas are called turnips. I was in my 20s before I learned that the turnips I'd been eating all my life were really rutabagas. By the way, they're also known as Swedes.

kaszeta

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

A New England thing? Probably not, as in New England rutabagas are called turnips. I was in my 20s before I learned that the turnips I'd been eating all my life were really rutabagas. By the way, they're also known as Swedes.

Hmm, up here in NH we've clearly got both turnips and rutabagas around here, and I've never seen them confused.   Same when I was in MI, when rutabaga was the obligatory ingredient for a proper Cornish pasty (with turnip or carrot clearly inferior substitutes)

I did have to explain to my British sister-in-law, however, what a rutabaga was, since she only knew them as "Swedes"

Michael Hoffman

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                    kaszeta

Michael Hoffman

Hmm, up here in NH we've clearly got both turnips and rutabagas around here, and I've never seen them confused.   Same when I was in MI, when rutabaga was the obligatory ingredient for a proper Cornish pasty (with turnip or carrot clearly inferior substitutes)

I did have to explain to my British sister-in-law, however, what a rutabaga was, since she only knew them as "Swedes"

Well, I'm from southern New England, and while we had both turnips and rutabagas, rutabagas were known as turnips. In fact, my mother was furious with me when I told her that those turnips we always had at Thanksgiving and Christmas were actually rutabagas. She insisted that I was calling her a liar. Of course, she was just as angry when I told her that the first McDonald's didn't open in 1934 on Whitney Avenue in Hamden, Connecticut.

Michael Hoffman

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                      buffetbuster

Michael Hoffman

Hard to believe, but this was the first time, although I did eat it again later on in the year with wanderingjew in Atlanta.  Around here, I don't ever remember seeing rutabagas on a menu. 

I don't believe I've ever seen rutabagas on a menu anywhere.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 6:14 PM (permalink)
                                        I grew up in New Jersey and they were called yellow turnips and we always had them on Thanksgiving. I hated them!  I now call them rutabagas and love them!  Great report BB!

ann peeples

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                          My Dad grew up in Indiana,-moved to Michigan in his youth-30's, i think.He was, honestly obsessed with rutabagas, as a joke. He hated them. Mom served them on occasion-I loved them-as i do most root vegetables. Mr. Hoffman, LOL as I thought you were questioning my rutabaga experience.Of course you knew better......

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 11:18 PM (permalink)
                                            Best Desserts (Non-Pie Division)

10) Bauder Pharmacy - Des Moines, IA

My trip to Des Moines was in July, which meant Bauder's Pharmacy had peach and strawberry ice creams available.  If I was a good friend, I would have waited for The Travelin Man, due into town later in the afternoon, before heading over to Bauder's.  But the temptation was too great and I found myself at the counter eating a scoop of that creamy fresh peach.  Not satisfied there, I then ordered a couple scoops of the peppermint ice cream, covered in hot fudge, trying to approximate Bauder's famous peppermint ice cream bars, which are only available at the Iowa State Fair.  Once meeting up with TTM, our first stop was back to Bauder's, where I ate another couple of scoops of peach, while sampling his fresh strawberry.  That was a good ice cream day!

9) Niecie's - Kansas City, MO

Niecie's has so many great things on their menu, it is easy to forget about their desserts.  This chocolate cake was sinfully rich and the perfect follow up to our breakfasts.  They only bad thing is that I had to share it with Cousin Johnny and TTM.

8) Pie Wagon - Nashville, TN

We arrived at Pie Wagon just before they closed for the day and the pie selection was picked over until there was almost nothing left.  Luckily, they still had this beautiful, sugary sweet blackberry cobbler to reduce the sting.

7) Flip's - Wilmington, NC

There are heavy, dense banana puddings and light, frothy ones.  The version they serve at Flip's is the latter kind.  It is whipped to the point where there is nothing to chew on.  The owner told us he just made it that morning and tasted wonderfully fresh.

6) Josie's German Cakes & Market - Mechanicsburg, PA

A small store that serves divine German plate lunches, Josie's was the best Roadfood place I found on my own in 2012.  The desserts weren't as good as the other food we sampled, but still plenty good enough to be on this list.  The soft, sweet apple streudel was a German classic, but it was the plum cake that really won my heart.

5) Dr. Mike's - Bethel, CT

The rich chocolate and seasonal pumpkin flavors were the best ice cream we had all year.

4) Meers Store - Meers, OK

If we were grading on size alone, the gargantuan desserts served at Meers Store would easily be #1.  The banana pudding is the heavy, dense version, with a dozen or more vanilla wafers mixed in.  The cherry cobbler has four scoops of made-in-house vanilla ice cream on top.  Neither Cousin Johnny or I came close to finishing these, despite how good they were.

3) Stroud's - Kansas City, MO

These cinnamon rolls are so good, especially when served hot from the oven, that they can sometimes outshine the pan fried chicken, which only happens to be the best in the country.

2) El Mago de las Fritas - Miami, FL

The flan is not a dessert than I typically like, but I have sampled quite a few over the years since Cousin Johnny is a fan and orders it often.  This version, with everything including the caramel sauce made-in-house, has made me a flan fan.

1) Hominy Grill - Charleston, SC

It is undoubtedly boring to sometimes see the same names on these lists year after year, but the chocolate pudding at Hominy Grill never lets me down.  It is none too sweet and tastes like the pure essence of chocolate.  Believe it or not, (divert your eyes now CajunKing!) I would choose this over any pie out there. 
                                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 01/10/13 11:24 PM>

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/10/13 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                              Over ANY pie?!?!

Oh, it is the end of days! Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria! THUD!!!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 01/11/13 7:03 AM (permalink)
                                                Sorry billyboy, should have told you to divert your eyes, too.  I will feel terrible if you had nightmares last night!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                                                  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 01/11/13 7:53 AM (permalink)
                                                  Buffetbuster

I haven't been on the boards much as I haven't been feeling well these last couple of weeks.....I can't believe you have never had rutabaga prior to this year..

Those pink eyed peas  are also going to be on my list for regional food tried for the first time his year...

It's been over a week since I've updated my list, I hope to do so tonight....

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 01/11/13 7:57 AM (permalink)
                                                    WJ-
                                                    I was wondering wandering about you and where you have been.  Hope you are feeling better.  Rutabagas are something that wasn't served in my house while growing up and you never see it in a restaurant around here.  Just one of those things I missed.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                                      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 01/11/13 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                                      Wow. I am surprised to not see Broom's Bloom on your dessert list. I always love their ice cream - or were you throwing them a bone in the previous post?

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 01/11/13 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                                        TTM-
                                                        I certainly loved Broom's Bloom, but the ice cream at Dr. Mike's was even better.  Besides, Broom's Bloom will be getting several mentions on here.

icecreamchick

• Total Posts: 99
                                                          • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
                                                          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 01/11/13 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                                          Oh, that chocolate pudding looks *amazing!* 

I loved your picture of the Great River Road, too.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                            • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 01/11/13 10:50 PM (permalink)
                                                            BB
                                                            There is nothing in this world like fresh WARM homemade chocolate pudding. I will forgive you this one time, for I too would eat a gallon of warm chocolate pudding over pie.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 3 of 10, messages 61 to 90 of 271

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com