Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My Year in Roadfood (2012)

Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 6 of 10, messages 151 to 180 of 271
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Sat, 01/19/13 6:27 AM (permalink)
I would definately go for the pineapple cream.......

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Sat, 01/19/13 5:36 PM (permalink)
    rumaki

What exactly is cherry vanilla pie?

EXTREMELY GOOD! is what it is

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Sat, 01/19/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
      Cliff

I bet it was hard to narrow down your pie list to even the top 20.  The Pineapple cream and the bananananannaana creams looked awesome, I too share your affinity for lemon, I love a good balance, but I love a slightly tart over the sweeter than tart.
      Great looking photos and descriptions.

You just completed my two favorite categories of your yearly reports
      Neon & Pie!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 01/21/13 8:37 AM (permalink)
        CK-
        Yeah, quite a few really good slices of pie got left off the list.  But you can't highlight them all!  Despite a swing through Iowa, there was no great slice of sour cream raisin pie in 2012, but that is a minor complaint at best.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 01/21/13 8:42 AM (permalink)
          Rocky Enfield

BB,

I would say that 90% of the time Heinnies is great (every restaurant has an off day now and then).  On the weekends the wait can be an hour or longer.  If you make it this way let me know and I will tip you off to some of our other local landmarks that I believe would be worthy of your interest.  That would include the place to get the finest donut I have ever had and Amish Crack, handmade chocolates and a few other items.

I would also enjoy joining you for a juicy steak at Heinnies. 

PS Love onions and when I spoke to the person that answered the phone at Powers they said thjey were open on Sundays.  Just to be on the safe side I will stop on Saturday .

If you like oriental food the next time you are Fort Wayne stop by Ma Hnin a Burmese/Thai restaurant on Calhoun just a mile south of Powers.  Auhtentic and excellent!  A tiny place and most of the time when I am there I am the only non-oriental in the place so I take that as a good sign.  The prices are sinfully inexpensive.

They said Powers Hamburgers is open on Sunday?  Wow, I have been outside of their building a few times on Sunday to get some daytime photos and they have always been closed.  I wonder if that is something new. 

It sounds like you know Fort Wayne very well.  I am a big fan of FW and we think our weekend there in October was one of our most fun all year.

And I would love to have you join us in Heinnie's when we go!  Thanks for the offer.   

Rocky Enfield

• Total Posts: 69
            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 01/21/13 10:39 AM (permalink)
            I was able to get to Power's right at noon on Saturday and the place was packed with all the seats taken and people standing around waiting .  It is a tiny little place but the staff is very efficient and very friendly.  There were people coming in and calling in orders for 12-18 burgers at a time.  Even though it was very crowded all the people were nice to each other holding the door open and being very polite.

I ordered 4 double cheeseburgers and enjoyed observing the eclectic mix of customers.  They pretty much had them all, young - old, rich - poor, different races and most patiently waiting for the food.  One person got impatient and asked for a refund and left but the rest were happy to wait.

It was incredible to see the griddle completely covered in burgers and onions.  When I got mine I went out to the car and wolfed down the first one.  DELICIOUS!  It was all I want in a burger.  Simple in its prep but outstanding in its flavor and juiciness.  The onions were the crown jewel just dripping out of it.

The one problem I had is in taking them to go they turned into a juicy hot mess after a few minutes.  I enjoyed them all the same but next time I order them to eat there to hold down the mess and to enjoy more of the people watching.

Day 2 we trekked out to the Spyro's on W. Jefferson for breakfast.  We knew we were in trouble when approached and the parking lot was packed.  We asked about a table for 7 and were told about 20 minutes but with 7 people eating and a swim meet to get to we decided we might be cutting it too close and had to pass.  Unfortunately we had to settle for IHOP but, now we can't wait for the next swim meet in FW so we can plan ahead better and make it to Spyro's in time.  Any place that busy has got to be GREAT!   In addition, I explained to my wife and our friend how I had come to hear of Spyro's and they are all the more intriqued to try the place that may land as a top 10 breakfast for Buffetbuster

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 01/21/13 11:07 AM (permalink)
              Rocky-
              So glad that you had a good experience at Powers.  Yeah, I can imagine that with all those onions eating them in your car would become a problem.  The fact that Powers is small and can get very crowded has prevented me from eating any of their pie, since there is always someone wating to take my seat as soon as I am done.  Thanks for reporting back!

And that is too bad that you didn't have time for Spyro's.  If my photos had been better, I would have written up an official Roadfood review.      

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 8:35 AM (permalink)
                We met so many wonderful people along the way in 2012.  Here are some of the more memorable ones:

Yeah, the food at Beacon Drive-In isn't great, but I still love coming here if for no other reason than to see JC Strobel

shout out my order to the kitchen.  JC has been here for over 50 years now and is legally blind.  He is such a local institution that they used to sell bobbleheads of his likeness!  In past visits here, there has always been a line, but this year I stopped in shortly after they opened on a Sunday morning, which gave me a few precious moments to chat with the man.  Here is a short video of JC in action.

Nobody in Roadfood has a bigger smile than Roque

of Roque's Carnitas in Santa Fe, NM.

With the help of his grandmother, young Austin Herron

bought Jack's North Hi Carryout, a wonderful little burger stand in Wichita, KS.  Based on the burgers we enjoyed, this place is in good hands for many years to come.

Restaurant employees are usually very friendly when you visit them on the Roadfood bus tour, but the nice people

at The Lunchbox in Meriden, CT even came outside to wave at the bus as we were leaving.

Mariton poses with Mary Fannie Woodruff

of Woodruff's Cafe & Pie Shop in Monroe, VA.  Miss Mary is well into her 90s, but still holds court at the back table, reading her bible and providing what she calls "the entertainment".

At J & W Grill in Chickasha, OK, Darren Cook

kept up a running conversation.  But since he was working the grill at the same time, it took place with his back turned towards us!  He told us how he used to ride by the place when he was just 12 years old on his paper route and now he owns the place.

We're not sure if this man

is the owner or the manager at Second Avenue Deli in New York City, but we are sure he was the funniest person we met all year.  Hearing it was our first visit, he was constantly at our table, telling jokes and making sure we liked our food.  We did!  At one point, he was wearing a cabbage leaf as a yarmulke, saying he wanted to leave zero carbon footprint!

During most of the time we were at Flip's BBQ in Wilmington, NC, we were the only customers, which allowed us plenty of time to chat with the friendly owner.  His daughter, who now lives in Charleston, stopped in and since we were headed that way, she gave Mariton some helpful tips of where to go for shopping.  When I suggested a father/daughter photo, they were happy to oblige.

Being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and season ticket holder, I was shocked to see a man

walk into Teresa's Mosaic Cafe dressed in all Steelers clothing.  He said he has never been to the Steel City and has no connection, but just likes the team.

No year is complete without at least one stop at Niecie's in Kansas City to see our favorite waitress, Miss Myra C. 

Luckily for us, Miss Myra enjoys posing for photos.  This year, she gathered up the troops and they posed behind the counter.  She said she wanted to holding some food, so she grabbed the closest thing, a plate of cookies.

This nice lady

didn't wait on us at Pie 'N Burger in Pasadena, CA, but she still stopped and said hello.  She told us that after being there for 29 years, she is tired of eating there, but never gets tired of eating their pie!

Josie's German Cakes & Market in Mechanicsburg, PA is a little store that puts out fantastic plate lunches.  Josie's passed away a few years back, but is now being run by her son

in her memory.

Another mother/son

team was at Big Dipper Ice Cream Factory in Prospect, CT, where they took time to tell us about their business and answer questions.  They also let us order any ice cream we wanted and only charged us a dollar each!

This time it is father/daughter

at the friendliest spot in Miami's Little Havana, El Mago de las Fritas.  We got lucky as the daughter brought in a cake to celebrate the 28th anniversary of her dad at the restaurant.

This young lady

with the great smile was very happy to meet me, since she rarely gets to talk hockey, which is no surprise since she lives in Oklahoma and works at The Diner in Norman.  She is such a big fan, she even named her son after her favorite player, Brendan Shanahan.

Everytime I leave the Wilton Candy Kitchen in Wilton, IA, I can't help but think will this be the last time.  After all, owner George Napolous

is now 90.  But, he says he has no plans to retire and during my visit, he was his usual, charming, wisecracking self.

In the review for Poe Boy Luncheon in Nashville, TN, Michael Stern included a photo of the chef's son, Kadarius.  I was fortunate enough to get a photo of father and son together.

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 01/22/13 8:45 AM>

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                  Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 10:29 AM (permalink)
                  buffetbuster

is the owner or the manager at Second Avenue Deli in New York City, but we are sure he was the funniest person we met all year.  Hearing it was our first visit, he was constantly at our table, telling jokes and making sure we liked our food.  We did!  At one point, he was wearing a cabbage leaf as a yarmulke, saying he wanted to leave zero carbon footprint!

You got Cousin Johnny in his usual "My Name is Earl" pose.

I loved the lady at Pie and Burger. She was a hoot.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 10:41 AM (permalink)
                    TTM-
                    Poor Johnny!  The lady at Pie 'N Burger was a hoot and our own waitress was wonderful, too.  I wish I had asked her for a photo.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 11:01 AM (permalink)
                      Some of my favorite pie art and images from 2012:

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
                        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 12:01 PM (permalink)
                        buffetbuster

is the owner or the manager at Second Avenue Deli in New York City, but we are sure he was the funniest person we met all year. 

When I brought 2 female co-workers (both very blond and obviously non-Jewish) to the 2nd Ave. Deli for lunch, this gentleman said to me "Thanks for bringing the shiksas. Just make sure that don't order anything on white bread with mayo." He later stopped by our table and beamed proudly as he saw us devouring Mushroom Barley Soup, Matzo ball Soup, Corned Beef and Pastrami sandwiches (on rye with mustard, of course), kashe varnishkas and knishes. What a great character. 

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 12:29 PM (permalink)
                          Howard-
                          Oh I can definitely see him saying that.  When we ate, he came over and asked what brought us to Second Avenue Deli.   I told him it was our first time there and that a friend of mine said they were the best deli in NYC.  He replies, "I doubt that".  He had to see the surprised look on my face and without missing a beat, he continued, "Not that we're the best, I doubt that you have friends!"  Hilarious! 

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 12:50 PM (permalink)
                            Hot dog images are even more popular than pie.  Here are some I came across in 2012:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 01/22/13 5:24 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17807
                              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 12:59 PM (permalink)
                              BB, I love the Franktuary sign. It reminds me of a place in Pittsburgh that we went to last month -- Burgatory. Have you been there? The burgers were terrific.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                Michael-
                                Yes, I have been to Burgatory and liked it also.  As good as the burgers were, we got an even better milkshake there.

BTW, one of the hot dog photos is from Orr's Drive In in Byesville, OH.  This may be worth it for you and lleechef to check out one of these days when driving back and forth from Pittsburgh.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17807
                                  Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                  Good idea about Orr's. I've been to Byesville a few times (I used to hunt deer around there) but I never paid any attention to eating places. Last Thursday, on our way back from Beaver Falls we stopped in Cambridge for lunch at the Ruby Tuesdays. We were sort of in a hurry, and it's right off the highway. We could almost as easily have gone to Orr's.
                                  <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 01/22/13 1:16 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                    Even the tips jars are an opportunity for a restaurant to be creative:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 02/4/13 2:32 PM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                                      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                      buffetbuster

And apparently recommended by Ann Landers!  Were you awake enough to smell the coffee?

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                        SC, that was a night time photo.  I try not to have two or three slices of pie right before bed!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                          Just about every bbq parlor, especially in the South, love to decorate with pigs and porcine images:

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                                            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 5:42 PM (permalink)
                                            Love the neon, as always.  Thanks!

That sign from Scott's is just a bit disturbing. Sort of St. Lawrence on the Gridiron!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 5:50 PM (permalink)
                                              I didn't get the reference to St. Lawrence on the Gridiron and had to look it up.  That is a little disturbing!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                                To the best of my recollection, I was only TravelinManned three times in 2012.

There was Mr. Bibb's in Des Moines, Iowa:

Charlie's Hamburgers in Folsom, PA:

And La Super Rica in Santa Barbara, CA

Better luck next year my friend!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                                  Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'll definitely have to check Marty's out!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 7:42 PM (permalink)
                                                    Some of the best "anything that swims" images from 2012:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 01/22/13 7:45 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                                      • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 01/22/13 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                                      buffetbuster
                                                      I didn't get the reference to St. Lawrence on the Gridiron and had to look it up.  That is a little disturbing!

I swear on my life, I'm not trying to make a sick joke, but, Google "Patron Saint of Barbecue" and see what you get...

Buddy
                                                      <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Tue, 01/22/13 10:25 PM>

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                        • Location: portland, OR
                                                        Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/23/13 12:21 AM (permalink)
                                                        What marvelous photos.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/23/13 7:49 AM (permalink)
                                                          Some of my favorite chicken signs and images from 2012:

<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 01/23/13 8:04 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/23/13 8:03 AM (permalink)
                                                            Finishing up the signs, bovine images seem to be even more popular at ice cream shops than at steak houses.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 6 of 10, messages 151 to 180 of 271

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com