The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 8:36 PM (permalink)
This is something that I haven't seen anyone do for quite a while. Chicken is usually just dropped without respect to the piece/meat type. In one chains manual years ago, the white meat went first for a few minutes, followed by the dark, then the wings. Then I've seen the reverse sort of, where the chicken legs of the batch are first dropped followed by the rest, and finally the wings with the wing tip tucked in. Seperation/agitation in some processes is initiated after a few minutes, others towards the end. Giles process has the stir about 3-4 minutes towards the end.

Although KFC uses pressure frying, originally the 2 heads of breaded chicken were dummped simulataneously via a hand held chute with a stir after the pre-fry browning and the lid clamped on. Later with the early,  collectramatics that didn't use the bird cage and the Henny Penny's, the procedure called for the legs immersed first during the 80's about the same time they went to the pre-brined cryovac. I metal agitator was pulled out just before the lid went on to unstick the chicken.  

I've alway wondered if there was specific order, interval timing, and agitation that was ever established as the ideal method to get even results .  

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7748
    Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 9:11 PM (permalink)
    Uncle Lou's in Memphis has a particular frying order as shown in this DD&D clip...

Hard to know if it was edited a little at any point.... like the other clip.... but I really like Uncle Lou!
    <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 01/7/13 9:16 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 9:22 PM (permalink)
      Don't know if  you've ever seen this KFC Training film from 1985...

DawnT

Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 9:42 PM (permalink)
        No wash, single toss+ has to be really thin. Not much for the breader either although 3:1 is pretty crazy. Sounds like everything is about the sauce.

So... thigh,leg,white,wing? Seems like Guy has in mind an established order with the last two reversed.

CCinNJ

Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 9:47 PM (permalink)
          Sweet spicy love sauce combined with corruption!

This is so not fried chicken central!

DawnT

Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 10:21 PM (permalink)
            That vid appears to be Canadian and after the old man died in '80. He held on to the Canadian operation, so it didn't get watered down like the US operation that he sold to Brown & Massey. He personally financed the development of those Collectramatics. That looks like an early one b/c they had that special cold zone tube on the bottom specifically to catch the cracklings unburned for making gravy which is what he wanted. IIRC, Scott's of Canada took it over around that time. I see they're using the leg immersion first in that video.

CCinNJ

Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 10:26 PM (permalink)
              Very interesting. I didn't know about that KFC Canadian factor.

I believe this KFC clip was from 1990...

<message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 01/7/13 10:32 PM>

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
                Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Mon, 01/7/13 11:30 PM (permalink)
                DawnT

I've alway wondered if there was specific order, interval timing, and agitation that was ever established as the ideal method to get even results .   

A couple factors that need to be considered is fryer recovery time and changes in chicken quality.  Todays computer controlled units with improved heating elements combine to have a very short recovery time without overshoot.  The problem used to be getting too hot when trying to recover and scorching the oil.  The second is the poor quality of chicken these days when compared to the past.  Dark meat just is not that anymore, with the industrialized farms there is almost no muscle development in the commercial birds.  This leads to more uniform cooking times between different pieces.  I think the biggest factor was fryer recovery, as if you dropped the small pieces first then the large you risk a big overcook on the bottom as the fryer recovers.  Today with advanced burner technology and fuzzy logic temp controllers the recovery is much fast and overshoot is much less.  This makes the drop order much less significant.

CCinNJ

Re:Chicken Drop Order In Immersion Frying Tue, 01/8/13 10:44 AM (permalink)
                  Speaking of KFC...

Todd Wilbur has (don't know if it was renewed) a show on CMT based on his Top Secret Recipes. Some of it is entertainment/comedy in the dumpsters...midnight meeting etc. sneaking cinnamon in his pocket at the plant but it's a fun watch.

He takes on a recipe (he's had years of practice) and challenges the original version created up against a panel of "experts"

KFC was one episode and he didn't fool anyone on the panel. There was a segment on the fryers that was good. But he is McGuyver in his Airstream for production value...so I wasn't paying too much attention by the end of the show. He did borrow a fryer that KFC uses...for the show.

I don't know anything about his version of KFC chicken. I've always found his version of KFC cole slaw to be spot on.
                  <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/8/13 11:01 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com