The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions

SAK5252

• Total Posts: 9
Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Tue, 01/8/13 3:26 PM (permalink)
I have a question for you smokers out there. We just finished our food truck build and are looking to smoke pork loin and serve it was a sandwich. What have you found is the best way to "pull" the loin? We are looking into getting a  Ro-man pork puller (porkpuller.com), as I know it works wonders with the butt, but Im not sure how it will work with the loin.  
Any suggestions?  
SAK 

bbqbeets

• Total Posts: 5
    Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Tue, 01/8/13 4:42 PM (permalink)
    SAK5252

I have a question for you smokers out there. We just finished our food truck build and are looking to smoke pork loin and serve it was a sandwich. What have you found is the best way to "pull" the loin? We are looking into getting a  Ro-man pork puller (porkpuller.com), as I know it works wonders with the butt, but Im not sure how it will work with the loin.  
    Any suggestions?  
    SAK 

I think you would be more  successful thin slicing the loin for the sandwich. In my experience loin is not pull friendly. Bone in boston butt should give the best yield . The Roman fork is fast & easy but you will have some stuff ( fat , gristle , etc ) to clean out of
    the meat .

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
      Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Tue, 01/8/13 4:59 PM (permalink)
      Since you want to cook a loin to 135-145 degrees max, you ain't going to be able to do any pulling, there is no reason to, just slice it, top it with sausage gravy, and watch the line grow!

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
        Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Tue, 01/8/13 5:04 PM (permalink)
        SAK5252

Any suggestions?  
        SAK 

You can chop a loin but you can't pull one. A loin sandwich is going to be much more expensive than one made from a butt or shoulder.

asromatifoso

• Total Posts: 2
          Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Tue, 01/8/13 7:47 PM (permalink)
          I do boston butts by shredding them with two forks. Just keep working at it until you have a big pile of meat, then douse it in your favorite sauce. I agree with most other posters here that loin is not the way to go for pulled pork.

SAK5252

• Total Posts: 9
            Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Tue, 01/8/13 7:59 PM (permalink)
            I think we are gonna go the slicing route. Thanks guys!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
              Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Tue, 01/8/13 11:20 PM (permalink)
              I use rubber dipped cotton gloves I buy at the hardware store for a couple bucks a pair.  They keep my fingers from being burned, yet still allow enough dexterity to pull the pork and pick out bits of fat and gristle.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Wed, 01/9/13 12:16 AM (permalink)
                You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't pull a loin!
                (Or something like that!)

chewingthefat

Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Wed, 01/9/13 1:22 PM (permalink)
                  JRPfeff

I use rubber dipped cotton gloves I buy at the hardware store for a couple bucks a pair.  They keep my fingers from being burned, yet still allow enough dexterity to pull the pork and pick out bits of fat and gristle.

Use Tongs, makes life much easier.

chewingthefat

Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Wed, 01/9/13 1:24 PM (permalink)
                    Foodbme

You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't pull a loin!

You can also pick your butt.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                      Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Wed, 01/9/13 1:28 PM (permalink)
                      bbqbeets

SAK5252

Any suggestions?  
                      SAK 

I think you would be more  successful thin slicing the loin for the sandwich. In my experience loin is not pull friendly. Bone in boston butt should give the best yield . The Roman fork is fast & easy but you will have some stuff ( fat , gristle , etc ) to clean out of
                      the meat .

I agree 100%, loin just doesn't pull. If you smoke a butt to perfection, it will pull with fingers just fine, fall apart wonderful!!

kevincad

Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Wed, 01/9/13 1:30 PM (permalink)
                        JRPfeff

Yes, if it's a butt, and it's done perfectly, fingers are all that's needed, it will just about fall apart.  A loin won't.

kevincad

Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Wed, 01/9/13 1:31 PM (permalink)
                          chewingthefat

Foodbme

You can also pick your butt.

But you can't pick your friend's butt....

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                            Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Wed, 01/9/13 2:04 PM (permalink)
                            A $100 bucks for a Ro-man pork puller, I can make one for less than $5.   With the stuff I have in the shop, it would cost $0

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                              Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Thu, 01/10/13 1:50 AM (permalink)

chewingthefat

Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Thu, 01/10/13 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                Why anyone would tear a pork butt apart so it can get dried out and lose moistness and heat, beats me. Pull it as ordered, with tongs, it's real simple.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                                  Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Thu, 01/10/13 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                  Chewy knows a good butt when he see's one...........

chewingthefat

Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Fri, 01/11/13 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                    pnwchef

Yep, been checking them out since I was 13 I believe!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17827
                                      Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Fri, 01/11/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                      chewingthefat

pnwchef

Wow! You got a late start.

OxDawg

• Total Posts: 51
                                        Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Fri, 01/11/13 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                        Slicing a loin is the best way to go for using just a loin. What I do is cook both  loins or hams along with my shoulders, chop then, and blend the meat together. The result is a tasty BBQ that is ready for a good sauce.

chewingthefat

Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Fri, 01/11/13 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

pnwchef

Wow! You got a late start.

The key word here is START!

Antilope

• Total Posts: 56
                                            Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Sun, 01/13/13 2:57 PM (permalink)
                                            To the original poster. This website seems to be full of the close-minded that know everything. Don't waste your time here. I won't anymore. There are other websites that are more welcoming. 
                                            <message edited by Antilope on Mon, 01/14/13 3:16 AM>

Relentless

• Total Posts: 150
                                              Re:Pulled pork LOIN? "Pulling" suggestions Fri, 04/26/13 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                              Antilope

To the original poster. This website seems to be full of the close-minded that know everything. Don't waste your time here. I won't anymore. There are other websites that are more welcoming. 

Hate to see a thread die on such a sour note You sir, are the only poster in the thread wasting anyone's time. I thought everyone else made polite and positive comments. When everyone that responds says the same thing...it's just possible that at least some of them know what they are talking about. They are correct...you can't pull a pork loin.

I'm just happy to find a thread on here about food. At least I know where to go if I need information on how to build a food truck  It's all good.........still plenty of interest here.

Best............John

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com