The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 10:26 AM (permalink)
The organization may be looking to latch-on to any given case with their own agenda in mind.

However...that does not excuse the fact that the restaurant attempted to require an employee to carry a $100 bank every shift (or be terminated) to tip-out sums to other employees while they have not received those tips yet.

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
    Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:21 AM (permalink)
    CCinNJ

The organization may be looking to latch-on to any given case with their own agenda in mind.

However...that does not excuse the fact that the restaurant attempted to require an employee to carry a $100 bank every shift (or be terminated) to tip-out sums to other employees while they have not received those tips yet.

Oh, I think your point about the illegality of the requirement is very valid.  I can see the scenario of the wait staff using the repeated excuse of no cash to pay out the other staff and the management trying to solve the problem by instituting a policy that was not only illegal but ill conceived.  Sometimes the solution to a problem is worse than the problem.  This may very well be one of those cases.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
      Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
      I, too, am saddened by the loss of Lynn's Paradise Cafe from the Roadfood landscape. I have had a number of meals there, over time, both with the Mayor and other friends that I have introduced to the very unique restaurant.

It must be all kinds of easy to sit in your living room and jump to conclusions about what may or may not have happened based on the Internet rantings of a disgruntled former employee. I see stuff like this all the time on Facebook, especially with political content. Just this week, someone posted about a member of the House who introduced legislation to repeal the 22nd Amendment (two term limit for the president). They claimed that this was President Obama's way to "ignore" the constitution and remain "president for life." Instead, this congressman has introduced the same legislation, only to be shuttled to committee, where it lays dead, for the past 16 years, including the entirety of the previous administration. Also forgetting that by introducing legislation, this would, in fact, be ABIDING by the constitution, rather than "ignoring" it. But, hey - a good story is a good story, right? How many people just copied and re-posted the same factually incorrect article, while starting a firestorm of anti-whatevergroupyouwanttobeagainst sentiment. The pitchfork and fiery torch crowd gets to march in the streets once more - apparently led by carolina bob.

CC - Can you show me where it is illegal for a restaurant to require $100 cash for their servers? The owner claimed that she researched what other restaurants in the area were doing, and found that many others had the same policy. I don't know if it is legal or not, but I would be curious to know the Kentucky statute to which you refer when you say it is illegal.

As for the restaurant not paying the waitstaff their tips from credit cards on the spot, why should they? What if the customer refutes the charges with the credit card company? Why should the business be out that money? From what I read, this was an issue of institutional control - the tips would be distributed in a weekly paycheck with taxes withheld. Why is this a problem? I have taxes withheld from my paycheck. I have heard others say that they tip in cash, so that the server can decide how much they want to claim. Why would I expect the server to NOT claim the full amount of their tips - their income - when I am required to claim the full amount of my income?

There is a lot to this story that we don't know - and we will never know. But, at the end of the day, a landmark Louisville restaurant has shuttered its doors, and, on the surface, it appears that it is due, at least in part, to the now common practice of Internet bullying.

CCinNJ

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
        I also think it's terribly wrong if the advocacy group and any former employees put flyers on customers cars about the matter.

CCinNJ

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:34 AM (permalink)
          Mandatory tip sharing is illegal in Kentucky. So any requirement of any policy that incorporates a requirement to share tips is illegal.

CCinNJ

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:36 AM (permalink)

CCinNJ

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:42 AM (permalink)
              The questions is not about paying on-the-spot.

The question is having a policy when it's unlawful in the first place...and attempting to have wait staff pay others out-of-pocket & on-the-spot.
              <message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 01/12/13 11:44 AM>

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3091
                Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:46 AM (permalink)
                I sure hope that any cash due the wait staff gets paid to them.
                I'm guessing not though.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                  Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:47 AM (permalink)

jman

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:52 AM (permalink)
                    MilwFoodlovers

I sure hope that any cash due the wait staff gets paid to them.
                    I'm guessing not though.

Why would you "guess" that?  That seems pretty judgmental.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:59 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks to all who urge witholding judgement til all the facts are in and presented by whatever authority eventually deals with the situation.
                        The right of any consumer to do business with an institution is recognized and correct. BUT the condemnation of a business based on hearsay and one-sided arguments represents fauty thinking and leads to more serious demonstrations of poor judgement in the future.  Sit back, Take a breath, Let the forces of justice examine the situation, then respond. 
                       Or in terms designed to educate the less thoughtful, Put the damn rope away, There ain't gonna be no hangin' in Louisville today.
                      That makes my Mayor's Crown a real collector's item, doesn't it ???

The Travelin Man

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:00 PM (permalink)
                        Thank you for providing the link. 

Maybe I am not connecting all of the dots here. The servers claim that all of their tips are on credit cards, so they have no money to "tip out" the bussers, bartenders, etc. Management enacts a rule that says that they have to carry money on their person when they begin their shift. I would have to see the new policy, but if it was written that a server must begin each shift with $100 cash, without making mention that it was for the purpose of tipping out others, then there should be no problem with the rule, yes?

The legislation that you linked to was so loosely written that a good labor lawyer would have a field day with it, anyway. A "tip pool," one could argue is one in which participants contribute to the pool and divide equally at the end of the day (like bartenders in a busy bar). The situation at Lynn's sounds like the servers were making the tips and stiffing the bussing staff, for whom tipping out from the serving staff is customary. Bussers don't earn tips of their own to contribute to a pool - they make their living off of the decades-long system of servers tipping out their bussers. I don't see that as a "tip pool."

Of course, if this is true, the irony of the situation is that it is often argued that their is a "greedy landlord" or a "greedy owner" at the root of all of these restaurant closings. In this case, if true, it would be the greedy employees, who chose not to share their tips with their bussers, as the root of the restaurant closing. A few employees bringing down an establishment that employs 50-75 people(?) because they chose not to properly tip out their own help. Good job.

The Travelin Man

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:01 PM (permalink)
                          mayor al

Thanks to all who urge witholding judgement til all the facts are in and presented by whatever authority eventually deals with the situation.
                          The right of any consumer to do business with an institution is recognized and correct. BUT the condemnation of a business based on hearsay and one-sided arguments represents fauty thinking and leads to more serious demonstrations of poor judgement in the future.  Sit back, Take a breath, Let the forces of justice examine the situation, then respond. 
                          Or in terms designed to educate the less thoughtful, Put the damn rope away, There ain't gonna be no hangin' in Louisville today.
                          That makes my Mayor's Crown a real collector's item, doesn't it ???
                          It would appear that the hanging's already taken place.

jman

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:12 PM (permalink)
                            The Travelin Man

Thank you for providing the link. 

Maybe I am not connecting all of the dots here. The servers claim that all of their tips are on credit cards, so they have no money to "tip out" the bussers, bartenders, etc. Management enacts a rule that says that they have to carry money on their person when they begin their shift. I would have to see the new policy, but if it was written that a server must begin each shift with $100 cash, without making mention that it was for the purpose of tipping out others, then there should be no problem with the rule, yes?

The legislation that you linked to was so loosely written that a good labor lawyer would have a field day with it, anyway. A "tip pool," one could argue is one in which participants contribute to the pool and divide equally at the end of the day (like bartenders in a busy bar). The situation at Lynn's sounds like the servers were making the tips and stiffing the bussing staff, for whom tipping out from the serving staff is customary. Bussers don't earn tips of their own to contribute to a pool - they make their living off of the decades-long system of servers tipping out their bussers. I don't see that as a "tip pool."

Of course, if this is true, the irony of the situation is that it is often argued that their is a "greedy landlord" or a "greedy owner" at the root of all of these restaurant closings. In this case, if true, it would be the greedy employees, who chose not to share their tips with their bussers, as the root of the restaurant closing. A few employees bringing down an establishment that employs 50-75 people(?) because they chose not to properly tip out their own help. Good job.

Excellent post. Don't be surprised to find out that the involvement of Jobs With Justice turns out to be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back in regard to the closure.  Once those flyers were placed on customers' cars, the owner may very well have said, "Screw it, I'm done with it" and shut the doors.
                            <message edited by jman on Sat, 01/12/13 12:15 PM>

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:19 PM (permalink)
                              The Travelin Man
                              It must be all kinds of easy to sit in your living room and jump to conclusions about what may or may not have happened

The Travelin Man
                              a landmark Louisville restaurant has shuttered its doors, and, on the surface, it appears that it is due, at least in part, to the now common practice of Internet bullying

The end of your post should become acquainted with the beginning of your post.

I have no idea why Lynn closed her restaurant. I doubt there is a restaurant in existence that does not have disgruntled former and current employees. Many of them post on Yelp and elsewhere. If "Internet bullying" could close a restaurant we'd all be eating at home.

Forgetting, for the moment, the legality of the policies, there does seem to be a real practical problem with them. Lynn's collects credit card tips for the servers and includes them in the next paycheck. Yet in the meantime, servers are supposed to tip-out each night. They have to bring $100 to work to do that. They probably don't tip out the full $100 each night, but they might tip $30 or $40 a night. If they work multiple nights before they get paid, this means they have to lay out what, for servers, could amount to quite a bit of money before they get it back the next week in their paychecks.

Add to that the fact that they are paying taxes on the full amount they are tipped, even though a significant portion goes to other staff. And that staff receives those tips in cash, so do you think that's all being reported as income?

Anyway, who knows if any of that, or the employees complaints, have anything to do with Lynn closing. The timing is suspicious but perhaps the new policies she instituted reflects other financial troubles she is experiencing - these policies do result in Lynn improving her cash flow by holding onto servers tips for a week, and perhaps she was covering tip-outs before she started requiring servers to bring enough cash for tip-outs. Maybe not. But there ARE other explanations for her closing besides simply a snit over disgruntled employees.

jman

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                The Travelin Man

But, but, but......... social justice,  (to wit: JwJ's core belief is that in order to be successful, workers' rights struggles have to be part of a larger campaign for economic and social justice.)

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
                                  Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                  jman

This thread is an example of Internet Vigilantism.  Some of you immediately accepted the story on face value, even signing the online petition, while, thankfully, some of you said, "hey, not so fast".  I'm not trying to pin all of it on RF because there seems to be multiple sites that have responded to the "blood in the water".

In the time that I've been reading and posting  here at RF, I've learned some things:  Give some of you an opportunity to jump to conclusions, you're lined up and ready to jump.  If there are two sides to a story, you're ready and eager to take a side, regardless of any actual supporting facts.  I guess you could say RF is a microcosm of life.

I don't know what the real story is, and perhaps in time there will be an accurate and verified account of what was really taking place at the restaurant. 

Why did the owners close it?  Maybe, it's because the story is true.  Maybe, it's because of other reasons.  Hopefully, we'll find out. 

Exactly.

jman

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:28 PM (permalink)

[
                                    Forgetting, for the moment, the legality of the policies, there does seem to be a real practical problem with them. Lynn's collects credit card tips for the servers and includes them in the next paycheck. Yet in the meantime, servers are supposed to tip-out each night. They have to bring $100 to work to do that. They probably don't tip out the full $100 each night, but they might tip $30 or $40 a night. If they work multiple nights before they get paid, this means they have to lay out what, for servers, could amount to quite a bit of money before they get it back the next week in their paychecks.

I agree. That's why I wrote that perhaps the solution to the real problem (servers stiffing the bussers) was worse than the problem.  It seems to me that perhaps the problem could have been amicably solved by sitting down with those involved before instituting a policy that was problematic in itself.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                      I think the thread discussion is not mourning the loss of a Roadfood Classic, but treading into philosopical discussions of labor relations and legislation.
                                      I suggest the thread, if it is to remain active, should steer itself back to the memories of exotic foods in a post-hippy environment.

If not we'll lock it up, as the fultility of beating a dead horse does not contribute to anything worth saving.

The Travelin Man

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                        Bruce- 

I don't know. It would seem as though I put enough qualifiers in my statement that a reasonable person could believe that even I am not certain as to why Lynn's is closing. Moreover, I don't believe that a business closing is EVER tied to one single event. For all I know, Lynn's may have been having a period of slow business. She also mentioned in one online interview I read about the impending Obamacare legislation. Maybe that had something to do with it, too? I don't know.

To compare my "jump to a conclusion," which included reason and analysis to someone who rants "I'm never eating at Lynn's again" because I read somewhere on the Internet that Lynn is a mean, horrible, greedy no-good boss and I worked for a mean, horrible, greedy, no-good boss is a bit of a stretch.

As for the tip out situation (and, again, without regard for what is or isn't or may or may not be law), from what I have read, it doesn't seem like Lynn's had a very good procedure in place. I am close friends with a number of people who work in a similar service industry and, an all cash service industry, at that. Their cash tips are deposited in a secure locked box until the end of their shift, where they are counted and recorded and distributed back, after taxes are withheld, in a weekly paycheck. After their tips are counted, they are offered a line item by which they can tip out the remaining support staff, who also receive a paycheck with taxes withheld. The money is only properly taxed once (i.e. the tip out is a pre-tax event), so the government gets their share, the employees get their share, and the employer does the paperwork. So...there is a way to make this work.

The Travelin Man

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                          Al, I apologize. I was typing while you posted. If I am too far off-topic, feel free to delete. Your call.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                            I think the topic remains... for a yet to be published reason, Lynn's has closed. The reasons for the closure are actions between the persons involved and only hearsay at this time to us (the customers). I will miss the fun, the interesting approach to many of the menu items, and the comradery of my RF friends while enjoying food at this ,now gone, establishment.

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
                                              Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 3:15 PM (permalink)
                                              Gabe Bullard ‏@gbullard
                                              Security guards are posted at Lynn's. Lights are on. A few people outside are crying.

from Twitter

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                                                Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                                I really hope she opens back up, the Pegasus Parade and other Derby Day events wont be the same without them. They made everything from scratch, I loved their waffles and pancakes with fruit and or chocolate chips, I also liked their grits, and I dont say that very often.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 3:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  The Bourbon French Toast was my favorite...but the Hot Brown was way off from the Brown Hotel's version.

This afternoon while waiting for the NFL Playoff game I channel surfed into a "Man vs Food"  episode with Adam Richman making that French Toast with Lynn herself in a parking lot display of the menu items at the former Lynn's Paradise Cafe. 
                                                  Uncle G-  i do hope you're right in your thoughts on reopening.

jman

Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 3:56 PM (permalink)
                                                    mayor al

I think the topic remains... for a yet to be published reason, Lynn's has closed. The reasons for the closure are actions between the persons involved and only hearsay at this time to us (the customers). I will miss the fun, the interesting approach to many of the menu items, and the comradery of my RF friends while enjoying food at this ,now gone, establishment.

Unless there are major financial shortcomings or huge income tax liabilities, I expect that it will reopen even if the owner decides to get out.  I doubt it would be much of a problem to find someone to buy it IF inherited liabilities don't get in the way. 

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4465
                                                      Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                                      Wow!  Closing up shop....security guards?  Maybe they heard The Travelin Man is coming to Louisville?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4465
                                                        • Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 5:07 PM (permalink)
                                                        Latest.......

The restaurant’s chief operating officer, Patty Schnatter, also did not respond to a request for a phone interview but issued a statement that addressed the controversy:
                                                        http://www.courier-journa...radise-Cafe-Louisville

“For 22 years Lynn’s Paradise Cafe has been committed to working with our employees to create a positive working environment through the challenges of an ever-changing economy.
                                                        “We are disappointed to learn that a few former employees and third-party agitators have some disagreements with us at this time. The issues raised arise from personnel matters that we cannot and will not discuss publicly.
                                                        “We are reviewing all of the issues raised, we are listening to the concerns and we will respond at an appropriate time and in an appropriate manner.”

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                          • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sat, 01/12/13 11:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          The Bourbon French Toast was awesome AL, anytime of the day it was filling and um... hit the spot! 

I havent been there in the past coupe of years, but it will be missed.

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                            • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Lynn's Paradise Cafe Tells Waitresses To Show Up With A Hundred Bucks or They're Done Sun, 01/13/13 1:20 AM (permalink)
                                                            joerogo

Latest.......

The restaurant’s chief operating officer, Patty Schnatter, also did not respond to a request for a phone interview but issued a statement that addressed the controversy:
                                                            http://www.courier-journa...radise-Cafe-Louisville

“For 22 years Lynn’s Paradise Cafe has been committed to working with our employees to create a positive working environment through the challenges of an ever-changing economy.
                                                            “We are disappointed to learn that a few former employees and third-party agitators have some disagreements with us at this time. The issues raised arise from personnel matters that we cannot and will not discuss publicly.
                                                            “We are reviewing all of the issues raised, we are listening to the concerns and we will respond at an appropriate time and in an appropriate manner.”

While it is not clear from that particular Courier Journal story, the quote from Patty Schnatter was made before Lynn's closed, and referred to the labor dispute, not the closing of Lynn's.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com