The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43
chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 1:01 PM (permalink)
It's an insult, ridiculous, stupid, and unwatchable....all I've seen are the adds for it and just that makes my skin crawl. Your thoughts?

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
    Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 1:27 PM (permalink)
    I would never watch it. TLC channel has some of the most insulting to intellegence programs ever.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 4:01 PM (permalink)
      It is a total scam. Exploiting the cultural group and insulting everything about their beliefs. I will not watch it.

Most of the other 'Reality" shows are just as or almost as bad as this disgusting series.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1502
        Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 4:28 PM (permalink)
        Not to sound like a snob.but other than some sports and a rare PBS, i have given up my boob-tube time to peruse equally mindless web sites.

After Boo-Boo kitty, or baby or whatever she is and the guys that make Duck calls...........I rest my case

I live near Amish country as does CTF.....watching that show (I'm told) is about as close to reality as was the documentary on Second Life to the game.........or Hogan's Heroes was to life in a PoW camp

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
          Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 4:46 PM (permalink)
          Amish Mafia : Discovery Channel
          This looks great! Did they ask for protection money from you, CTF?
          Almost makes me want to go get a TV.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
            Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 4:47 PM (permalink)
            I have not seen the show nor do I watch reality TV.

We live near Amish communities here in SW OHIO and enjoy visiting these areas.  I also have started reading authors who write mysteries involving Amish communities.  Authors I enjoy in this genre are Karen Harper, P L Gaus and Kate Burkholder - there are many others in this genre I plan to get to.

TV has always been a "vast wasteland" - as we age I think many of us view it more sparingly - also the quality of the shows has diminished over the decades IMHO.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 5:03 PM (permalink)
              I just ran across a blog entry from  P L Gaus, one of the Amish mystery authors, mentioned above, and it is a fascinating look at both the Amish and the reasons he writes in this genre:
              http://www.mysterywriters.org/node/2803

Reading these kinds of books sure beats watching most of what is on TV LOL.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 5:05 PM (permalink)
                chewingthefat

It's an insult, ridiculous, stupid, and unwatchable....all I've seen are the adds for it and just that makes my skin crawl. Your thoughts?
                I guess you could say that about most of what airs on TV nowadays, eh?

chewingthefat

Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 5:14 PM (permalink)
                  1bbqboy

No, but I live in fear they will ask me to help raise a barn.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                    Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 5:28 PM (permalink)
                    I'd never heard of this program before, but now that I've had the chance to see what it's all about I can't wait to watch it. Thanks Chewy for tipping me off to this show.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 5:31 PM (permalink)
                      chewingthefat

1bbqboy

No, but I live in fear they will ask me to help raise a barn.
                      They offer many jobs involved in barn raising - you would be a great hit with the women in their kitchens...

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
                        Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Wed, 01/23/13 5:45 PM (permalink)
                        I've watched the show a couple of times because one of my Amish friends asked me to take a look at it.  It's pretty bad.  What's even worse is that I saw that it was the second-rated cable show (3.2 mil) on TV last week, trailing Bill O'Reilly by just 200,000 viewers.  Ted Baxter better watch out.  Levi may overtake him.
                        <message edited by jman on Thu, 01/24/13 4:58 PM>

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                          Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Thu, 01/24/13 10:32 AM (permalink)
                          I watched two episodes, I don't buy any of it. It all looks completely staged, with third rate actors. They're committing crimes on camera, if it were real they'd be in jail by now with RICO charges hanging over their heads.

chewingthefat

Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Thu, 01/24/13 11:58 AM (permalink)
                            Michael Hoffman

I'd never heard of this program before, but now that I've had the chance to see what it's all about I can't wait to watch it. Thanks Chewy for tipping me off to this show.

You will love this show, it appeals to a certain breed of cat, one that likes Catchup on Ball Park Franks!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                              Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Thu, 01/24/13 1:18 PM (permalink)
                              The vast majority of so-called "reality" shows are nothing but mindless garbage that would insult the intelligence of a ten year-old. As a rule I never waste my time on any of them. The one exception is "American Pickers", as it deals with backroads roadtrips and antique advertising, two subjects near and dear to my heart.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Thu, 01/24/13 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                carolina bob

The vast majority of so-called "reality" shows are nothing but mindless garbage that would insult the intelligence of a ten year-old. As a rule I never waste my time on any of them. The one exception is "American Pickers", as it deals with backroads roadtrips and antique advertising, two subjects near and dear to my heart.

Every time I watch American Pickers I wish I had done that 6 years ago when I retired and was healthy. Love that show and Duck Dynasty but that's it.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                  Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Thu, 01/24/13 4:49 PM (permalink)
                                  television is entertainment. Very little of it is educational. and when it's educational, it's clear.

Reality shows are fake. Of course, but they can be mindless entertainment.

Boob jobs make fake boobs. And I don't care. The fantasy is fun.

The Amish could give a **** about the show. They do their thing. They don't answer to media. They live quiet and humble lives. They do, however, rely on "english" money. And the English spend a fortune. But, it's worth it, because its high quality stuff, made with care. The Amish markets are great places for high quality foods and products

No fool would actually confuse this reality show with actual reality. 

What I think is more agravating than the mockumentary aspect, is the people they chose it create characters the public "cares" about. The actual people, are not Amish, they are, however, raging alcoholics, each with at least one DUI and public intoxication arrest on record. The "leader," Levi, has three DUI arrests alone (plus other mishief crimes), and he is only 33 years old. These aren't IMO people to put on TV to idolize.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
                                    Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 8:23 AM (permalink)
                                    chewingthefat

Having spent ages 14 - 21 in New Wilmington, PA I developed profound respect for the Amish.  Even though I know their "down East" cousins of Lancaster County are "more worldly" I have a hard time believing that this "Amish Mafia" is anything but yet another vile "reality" fraud(Kudos to that guy from "Storage Wars" for admitting that "it ain't real").

BTW:  The highly principled Valentine Y. Byler of my old hometown remains a personal hero of mine:  http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/amishss.htm .

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                                      Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 8:31 AM (permalink)
                                      You wanna talk about fakes?  Last night my kids were watching Long Island Medium(as opposed to The Long Island Minchia we all know).  

What a crock of bull.  My favorite is when they surprise people.  I guess nobody sees the director, producer, lighting and sound crews, camera crew, etc.

She talks to the dead.  That's because she is so nauseating, they're the only ones who WILL talk to her.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
                                        Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 9:07 AM (permalink)
                                        joerogo, I'll be renting a horse and carriage for the family to travel to  Chubby's this  summer. If Tom doesn't offer Horse and carriage parking I think we should consider another choice of restaurants.

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
                                          Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                          I think that most people who tune in to "reality shows" know that these shows are staged for the purpose of entertainment.  They prosper because of the "trainwreck" aspect of the genre.  As long as people tune in and sponsors line up to support them, these shows will continue to flourish.

Maybe there should be more disdain toward the news platforms than reality shows.  Many people who watch the news use what they see and hear to help them develop their opinions. They aren't aware that most of what they see or hear is reflective of opinions rather than actual facts.  It's a shame that the news can't even be considered reality TV anymore.  Heck, you can't even be assured that a national weather report will deliver just the facts and not be used as a lecture.

Tony Bad

Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                            joerogo

You wanna talk about fakes?  Last night my kids were watching Long Island Medium(as opposed to The Long Island Minchia we all know).  

Don't be a hater.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                                              Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                              joerogo

What a crock of bull.  My favorite is when they surprise people.  I guess nobody sees the director, producer, lighting and sound crews, camera crew, etc.

She talks to the dead.  That's because she is so nauseating, they're the only ones who WILL talk to her.

Fake or not, at least it's not another show with vapid plastic surgical nightmares creating drama and fighting with each other constantly, or spoiled teens, or pregnant teens, or spoiled pregnant teens, etc.

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                                                Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                                Anyone old enough to remember Queen for a Day (I mean the original)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_for_a_Day

And Tony, good one!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1502
                                                  Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                                  OMG QFaD.the original sob story!  Alas, count me among the ancients as I watch some gal who's family has been blown away in a Tornado, after her dog ate the neighbors child, and who has recently found out her father was his own grandfather win a fur stole and a trip to LA for 2.  Always wondered if they rigged that audience clapping meter.

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                                                    • Location: Fredericksburg, VA
                                                    Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                                    FriedClamFanatic

OMG QFaD.the original sob story!  Alas, count me among the ancients as I watch some gal who's family has been blown away in a Tornado, after her dog ate the neighbors child, and who has recently found out her father was his own grandfather win a fur stole and a trip to LA for 2.  Always wondered if they rigged that audience clapping meter.

Now that's what I'm taking about!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                      Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Fri, 01/25/13 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      MetroplexJim

(Kudos to that guy from "Storage Wars" for admitting that "it ain't real").

what?!?

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                                                        Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Sat, 01/26/13 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        "Reality" tv shows always remind me of the 'Monty Python' sketch where village idiot John Cleese eloquently explains the vital psycho-social service he provides - "There is this very real need in society for someone whom almost anyone can look down on and ridicule."

chewingthefat

• Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                          Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Sat, 01/26/13 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                                          pnwchef

joerogo, I'll be renting a horse and carriage for the family to travel to  Chubby's this  summer. If Tom doesn't offer Horse and carriage parking I think we should consider another choice of restaurants.

I only have a Pony and a Flexible Flyer, will that do?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Amish Mafia, Worst TV show ever? Sat, 01/26/13 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                                            No pony, but my Flexible Flyer is available at a good rate.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com