The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Defining characteristics of New York pizza?

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
Defining characteristics of New York pizza? Thu, 01/24/13 1:45 PM (permalink)
New Yorkers rave about their pizza and how good it is compared to that of other towns.  But what then are the defining characteristics of New York pizza? I don't want puffery such as "It's just made better!".  I want as neutral an exposition as possible.

<message edited by Hepcat on Thu, 01/24/13 3:44 PM>

KenK

• Total Posts: 143
    Re:Defining characteristics of New York pizza? Thu, 01/24/13 4:15 PM (permalink)
    Personally, I can't say it is true or not. But I have seen many tv programs and read just as many newspaper articles that claim it is the water that differentiates New York pizza from other parts of the nation.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7761
      Re:Defining characteristics of New York pizza? Thu, 01/24/13 4:18 PM (permalink)
      ...and the bagels & bread.

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
        Re:Defining characteristics of New York pizza? Thu, 01/24/13 4:32 PM (permalink)
        Water gets credit for pizza and bagels but can't say if it is true.  Walking the streets of NY with a pizza place seemingly on every corner, when you realize you are hungry, ducking into a pizza place for a slice or two is always a good option. Frankly, I think I enjoy the counter stuff they sell by the slice better than buying a whole fresh pie.  I think the cooking and resting and reheating has a beneficial effect.  I like my slice on a thin crust but the crust need a good tensile strength, a char on the bottom and slightly oily on the top.  I usually add salt but don't tell Bloomberg. By the slice I usually forgo the toppings but anchovies or sausage are a must when I order a whole pie.

Here's an interesting web page of an ex-Bronx guy with a restaurant in Atlanta.  His comments were always spot on in my opinion.
        http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
          Re:Defining characteristics of New York pizza? Thu, 01/24/13 6:27 PM (permalink)
          Whole pies or slices?  There is a HUGE difference.

bwave

• Total Posts: 231
            Re:Defining characteristics of New York pizza? Thu, 01/24/13 6:30 PM (permalink)
            Thin, doughy crust, sometimes cooked in a coal-fired oven for extra charcoal flavor on the bottom, large slices, and must be foldable.
            I will say that NYC tap water does taste amazing  (at least in Manhattan)

(when I say doughy, I mean flour type soft dough, vs. Greek bread style)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com