The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Latest Poll Question

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
Latest Poll Question Thu, 01/24/13 8:16 PM (permalink)
 sorry,am sometimes a little dim, not even sure if this is the right place , but cannot figure out what the latest poll means

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
    Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Thu, 01/24/13 10:04 PM (permalink)
    californyguy

sorry,am sometimes a little dim, not even sure if this is the right place , but cannot figure out what the latest poll means

what food translates best outside it's region. I think.  In the spirit of WJ, I voted none.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
      Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 8:17 AM (permalink)
      1bbqboy

californyguy

what food translates best outside it's region. I think.  In the spirit of WJ, I voted none.

Your just happy because CT got its butt whooped.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4076
        Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 1:31 PM (permalink)
        1bbqboy
        californyguy
        In other words, if it isn't already clear, does a Chicago Style Hot Dog served in Texas, taste as good as one served in Chicago?

Buddy

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
          Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 1:43 PM (permalink)
          Only to someone who actually likes that sort of thing.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4076
            Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 6:43 PM (permalink)
            Michael, you're not fooling anyone.  We all know how much you love a dog "dragged through the garden".  Mmm...mustard and onions and relish and tomato and pickle and peppers and celery salt, oh my!

Buddy

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
              Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 7:04 PM (permalink)
              In fact, I've eaten a couple of them. The first I really did not like at all. I had the second to be fair and see if my first was a mistake on my part or something. I still didn't like it. I'm afraid I'm a creature of my upbringing; a split, grilled hot dog with mustard, relish and sauerkraut -- sometimes with chopped raw onions, too.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 7:07 PM (permalink)
                1bbqboy

californyguy

I have absolutely nothing to do with this, if anything it should be in the spirit of the Pre Website Sterns.

My only take is what is the point of  traveling hundreds or thousands of miles to eat stuff that I can find just as good locally? 

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 7:39 PM (permalink)
                  Interesting question. I shall ponder this.............

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                    Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 8:15 PM (permalink)
                    It's hard enough to find great BBQ within the regions known for it. Let alone outside those regions. Same goes for Jewish deli as well.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 8:18 PM (permalink)
                      Twinwillow

It's hard enough to find great BBQ within the regions known for it. Let alone outside those regions. Same goes for Jewish deli as well.

It's hard to find Jewish Deli's in NYC- There are like 3 left in Manhattan and probably a dozen in the surrounding suburbs- no one goes anymore!

Twinwillow

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 8:32 PM (permalink)
                        wanderingjew

Twinwillow

It's hard to find Jewish Deli's in NYC- There are like 3 left in Manhattan and probably a dozen in the surrounding suburbs- no one goes anymore!

So I've heard. I understand the majority of people at Katz's at any given time are from out of town.
                        Speaking for myself, I'd have my taxi driver drive straight to Katz's as soon as I got off the plane!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 8:40 PM (permalink)
                          Twinwillow

wanderingjew

Twinwillow

So I've heard. I understand the majority of people at Katz's at any given time are from out of town.
                          Speaking for myself, I'd have my taxi driver drive straight to Katz's as soon as I got off the plane!

I don't blame you, although as much as I love Katz's my # 1 choice would still be The 2nd Avenue Deli

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                            Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 8:45 PM (permalink)
                            I enjoy the 2nd Avenue Deli but I'm a Katz's man all the way.  Love their Reuben.  There are definitely more than three in Manhattan though Katz's, 2nd Avenue and Carnegie are the most well known and seem to get the most press.
                            <message edited by billyboy on Mon, 01/28/13 10:33 AM>

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 8:51 PM (permalink)
                              billyboy

I enjoy the @nd Avenue Deli but I'm a Katz's man all the way.  Love their Reuben.  There are definitely more than three in Manhattan though Katz's, 2nd Ave and carnegie are the most well known and get the most press.

Billyboy
                              Now that  Stage and Sarge's are gone, I don't know of any others.....I understand that decades ago there were over 300 or 400 just on the Lower East Side.

I know there are only about 4 or 5 left on Long Island. I don't think there are any left in Southwestern CT. and probably about 3 or 4 each in Northern NJ and Rockland County ( I don't think Westchester has any left)

I forgot about the Boroughs, maybe a handful (if that many)

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 9:04 PM (permalink)
                                There's Ben Ash near Carnegie, Fine & Shapiro (Kosher) on W. 72nd Street, Jay & Lloyds (love it) in Gravesend/Sheepshead Bay, Ben's in Rego Park.  Still bummed about Sarge's.  I hope they re-open.  Totonno's is still struggling with finances for re-opening since Sandy hit and my favorite Korean fried chicken place just down the street from me made it through Sandy only to suffer a fire weeks later and is still closed!  It's been a tough year.

Twinwillow

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                  When I was 18 back in 1958, I used to work at a men's wholesale clothing business on Fifth Avenue at 14th. Street.
                                  There was a great Jewish deli a few doors down Fifth that served a "Romanian Tenderloin" (skirt) steak for lunch with french fries and cole slaw for .98 cents!
                                  And, it was delicious.

Around the corner from there was yet, another (Kosher) deli that served Pastrami that literally, melted in your mouth.

There was no shortage of great Jewish deli's in NYC back then.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                    I never heard of Ben Ash. I completely forgot about Fine and Shapiro- I went to Ben's Best back in 2007, it was horrible....

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 10:58 PM (permalink)
                                      There are plenty of other Jewish delis in Manhattan: Pastrami Queen; Lansky's; Barney Greengrass; Mr. Broadway; 5 locations of Mendy's (soup can be a meal!); Noah's Ark; Artie's; PJ Bernstein; Eisenberg's; Bloom's... not all good, but then I doubt they were all good in 1930 either. Plus many more in the boroughs.

1bbqboy

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 11:15 PM (permalink)
                                        Do you have to be Jewish to run a Jewish Deli?

Twinwillow

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                          No. But it does help.

Twinwillow

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Fri, 01/25/13 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                            That said, My kid is Jewish but he owns a pizzeria in Austin, Texas that specializes in Italian food.

1bbqboy

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Sat, 01/26/13 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                              Kosher BBQed meatballs and pizza. Perfect.

Twinwillow

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Sat, 01/26/13 5:08 PM (permalink)
                                                Hmm, that could be a great combo. Jewish Italian Texas fusion!

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                                                  Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Sat, 01/26/13 7:23 PM (permalink)
                                                  None of the above is the correct answer because whoever wrote this poll left out so many regional favorites that translate well. 
                                                  That's in addition to the poorly worded question.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                    • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Sat, 01/26/13 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                                    That was me, and you are right about the wording. Unfortunately, the poll template leaves very little room for the question. The squeezed-in result can sometimes be tortured.

What regional favorites would you have included instead?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
                                                      Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Sun, 01/27/13 2:16 AM (permalink)
                                                      For the life of me, I can't understand why the deli's are disappearing. I've never heard of anyone that said they had bad food at a Jewish deli, (Except maybe Bin Laden)

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7748
                                                        Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Sun, 01/27/13 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'm guessing that crabs are winning the poll with 0% of the votes.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Post your bugs and issues here... Mon, 01/28/13 6:50 AM (permalink)
                                                          Foodbme

For the life of me, I can't understand why the deli's are disappearing. I've never heard of anyone that said they had bad food at a Jewish deli, (Except maybe Bin Laden)

I actually asked this of several of my friends back in NY (neither of whom have stepped foot in a Jewish deli in decades, unless I'm visiting of course)

One of my friends put it perfectly when they said  "They loved their grandparents, however they don't want to be their grandparents"

They're just not popular anymore and haven't been in decades  unless you're Bruce Bilmes

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com