The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Pizza by the Slice

fraz627

• Total Posts: 16
Pizza by the Slice Mon, 01/28/13 6:49 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Is there any body out there doing pizza BY THE SLICE?
I'm in the planning stages of setting up a concession trailer, to do festibles and fairs.
What I was wondering, is do you make your own crust or buy pre made skins or dough balls.
and the quality of the product which is very important to me.
Any advice is helpful.
thanks in advance

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
    Re:Pizza by the Slice Mon, 01/28/13 9:35 PM (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood!

What type of oven will you be using in your trailer?

How much space do you have to prep & storage?

Pizza by the slice is popular in this area. But there are some built-in factors to that business. It's a product of supply/demand. It often works well with quality pizza being a very strong seller...and tons of traffic. Pizza made. Pizza sold. Pizza made. Pizza sold. Fast....with room to roll-it-out. If you're limited in prep storage & making spaces...it is easy to find yourself in the weeds quickly...with a crowd.

I don't know what experience you have in the pizza business. Do lots of research on pizza and get as much hands-on experience with pizza before you decide to make pizza your business. Especially mobile pizza. Contact the health dept. and get information on the requirements and/or restrictions that you'd have to follow.

Research the requirements and/or restrictions at the current events. That can change and they also can vary from one event to another.

It's good to do all that before you look at who is doing what in the mobile pizza business.

It's like Tiger woods can drive a ball 500 yards. Good for him!

Good luck!
    <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 01/28/13 9:47 PM>

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
      Re:Pizza by the Slice Tue, 01/29/13 9:47 AM (permalink)
      I actually use a Anvil Model: TSA1309 panini press http://www.anvilworld.com/product.htm?productID=60
      I took a Pizza stone and cut it down with a ceramic table saw. It sets in the bottom. You can adjust the top to just above the pizza slice and it works great. It goes up to 570 degrees. You can also make about a 13 inch pizza and it runs on standard 120 volts...Russ

jcheese

• Total Posts: 738
        Re:Pizza by the Slice Tue, 01/29/13 11:42 AM (permalink)
        I think the logistics of Calzone's would be better.

CCinNJ

Re:Pizza by the Slice Tue, 01/29/13 11:54 AM (permalink)
          You could walk with Stromboli (if you had to) but a Calzone?

Not if it includes ricotta.

fraz627

Re:Pizza by the Slice Wed, 01/30/13 5:30 PM (permalink)
            [This post was marked as helpful]
            I am planning on using a conveyor oven (gas), mostly for the easy of baking. However I haven't ruled out deck ovens, for reliablity, and cost. I have drawn floor plans for both a 16 & 20 ft units. Other equipments are to include prep table, upright refer, and chest freezer, BIB soda dispensor, Ice machine, and warming racks. I've done alot of research on Pizza by the slice and look a many units (via internet) and only a few have mixers, and dough sheeters. I was wondering were these people get there pizza skins. If I could find a product that is of high quality and readly available, it would save both space, labor, and money (at least in the start up)
            I have learned alot from the various threads on this site. Thanks to all and keep up the good work.

fraz627

Re:Pizza by the Slice Wed, 01/30/13 5:30 PM (permalink)
              I am planning on using a conveyor oven (gas), mostly for the easy of baking. However I haven't ruled out deck ovens, for reliablity, and cost. I have drawn floor plans for both a 16 & 20 ft units. Other equipments are to include prep table, upright refer, and chest freezer, BIB soda dispensor, Ice machine, and warming racks. I've done alot of research on Pizza by the slice and look a many units (via internet) and only a few have mixers, and dough sheeters. I was wondering were these people get there pizza skins. If I could find a product that is of high quality and readly available, it would save both space, labor, and money (at least in the start up)
              I have learned alot from the various threads on this site. Thanks to all and keep up the good work.

CCinNJ

Re:Pizza by the Slice Wed, 01/30/13 5:42 PM (permalink)
                If you won't be making the dough...the next best bet would be checking with larger local bakery facilities. See if they have a formula or (if not) are willing to work with you to produce a new fresh quality supply. Most would be willing if they have the time and space.

Make sure you will have enough clearance behind the oven (if you go with a deck)...when making pizza.. Especially in a trailer. That might be one of the most overlooked factors in the pizza business. Not enough room for enough steps backwards.
                <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 01/30/13 5:48 PM>

fraz627

Re:Pizza by the Slice Fri, 02/1/13 1:51 PM (permalink)
                  Thanks for the advice. I have been playing around with various dough recipes on my trusty kitchen aid mixer, and would really like to make my onwn. I vist a lot of pizza industry web sites, learning about par baking ect.
                  Hope to learn more from this site.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 738
                    Re:Pizza by the Slice Fri, 02/1/13 3:23 PM (permalink)
                    Kinda off the wall, but.......
                    How about a Pizzarito?
                    Anything you'd put on a pizza but put on a flour tortilla, folded up and "browned" on a griddle. Would save thousands on equipment and be good "Fair Food". Hell, you could even deep fry them.
                    Just a thought.....

Tristan225

• Total Posts: 350
                      Re:Pizza by the Slice Fri, 02/1/13 5:22 PM (permalink)
                      Hey, that's an interesting idea!
                      jcheese

Kinda off the wall, but.......
                      How about a Pizzarito?
                      Anything you'd put on a pizza but put on a flour tortilla, folded up and "browned" on a griddle. Would save thousands on equipment and be good "Fair Food". Hell, you could even deep fry them.
                      Just a thought.....

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
                        Re:Pizza by the Slice Sat, 02/2/13 9:23 AM (permalink)
                        I would be worried about the heat in the trailer.

CCinNJ

Re:Pizza by the Slice Sat, 02/2/13 10:07 AM (permalink)
                          Since you're not in die-hard pizza-crazy territory....

If you would be allowed to use pizza that was already made (by you in advance - chilled- portioned) as the base for a popular novelty item that would do well at Fairs & Festivals...

http://www.foodspotting.c...tems/73842-fried-pizza

Deep-fried pizza.

If allowed...all it would take is a batter & fry. Some creative dipping sauces bring in extra $.

CCinNJ

Re:Pizza by the Slice Sat, 02/2/13 10:24 AM (permalink)
                            Or Pizza Fritta...

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?Display=83

Assemble - fry - done.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2225
                              Re:Pizza by the Slice Sat, 02/2/13 11:16 AM (permalink)
                              Fraz, Welcome, it looks like you have a fun project in the works.... All of the major food companies sell frozen pizza dough balls, they also have a full line of premade shells. I use to use 1lb frozen Italian bread loaves cut 3 or 4 for Calzones. Pizza dough isn't hard, it just takes working with it under the conditions you plan to work with the dough. I have been through Houston many times, the Humidity is higher than I could ever stand. I would think a pizza truck/trailer would be hotter than hell to work in. That being said, only because i had to say it, I have seen days in Houston, Galveston area that I thought OMG how do these people stand this heat/humidity. Then I'll see a cowboy walk down the street wearing a long sleeve shirt.......I have a few ideas, take them or leave them. Costco has a $8.99 premade pizza, cut 8 would be a pretty good slice. The slice isn't like the jersey shore, or NYC, but, your not even close to competing in that mkt. The East coast mkt is all about heart and soul, Pizza is a religion. OK, back to Costco, Costco is in all the major mkts in Texas, they can be preordered, the pizza is pretty good, for a premade non NY style pizza that is. Cut 8 on the Costco Pepperoni pizza. ( Loaded with Pepperoni ) is $1.12 sell for a minimum of (Fair Prices) $4 = 28% food cost. The nice thing about this is, low labor, no mess, no fuss, clean operation, Oh, did I say low labor. The cooking time is 10 to 12 minutes from Raw. In a Fair large volume operation you better be busy enough to have the pizzas moving out quickly.........pnwc

fraz627

Re:Pizza by the Slice Mon, 02/4/13 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks for all the input. Many years ago I lived for a short period of time in Scottland, and a the local FISH N CHIPS shops they had a deep fried pizza, which wasn't bad.
                                Now my concern about buying frozen pizza crust is the availability, example you go from one event to the next with out hitting home base.
                                That is why I was leaning to makeing the dough myself.
                                fraz

s_rawat

• Total Posts: 1
                                  Re:Pizza by the Slice Sat, 11/9/13 2:05 AM (permalink)
                                  Hi guys, I would also like to suggest you about this site for dual deck conveyor ovens with great features.
                                  Go to this site 
                                  <message edited by s_rawat on Sat, 11/9/13 2:12 AM>

kapowtruck

• Total Posts: 117
                                    Re:Pizza by the Slice Sat, 11/9/13 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                    This is one of the food truck I partner with i DE. He has a good following for being seasonal. https://www.facebook.com/WoodFiredPizza

Hopefully this gives you some good ideas!
                                    Welcome to Roadfood.com!

~Thai GUy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com