The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Tue, 02/12/13 1:14 PM (permalink)
Both pressed duck and chop suey are available at Dragon House in Columbia Heights, MN, Lotus Garden in Greenwood, IN (south suburban Indianapolis), and Orange Garden, Chicago, IL.  I love them all.  Because I live in Minneapolis, Dragon House is where I go for Chinese-American food most frequently.  We get carry out a lot, and I find that the pressed duck doesn't travel well, so I mostly have it when we dine in the restaurant.

http://www.dragonhouserestaurant.com/Dinner.html
http://www.lotusgardengreenwood.net/  (the link to the actual menu doesn't seem to be working at the moment)
http://chicago.menupages....nts/orange-garden/menu

HDtravlr1

Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Tue, 02/12/13 3:07 PM (permalink)
    That chow mein sandwich sounds great! Anybody still make one?
    I have had the St Paul sandwich in St Louis. 

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 321
      Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Wed, 02/13/13 2:23 PM (permalink)
      Michael Hoffman

I used to love the chow mein sandwiches at Charle's Lunch on Church Street in New Haven. The place was known as Nickel Charlies to most regulars, and the chow mein sandwich was served on a hamburger bun with crispy noodles topped with the gooey chow mein.

Not to get too far afield from the OP’s topic, but I found an interesting article about the rehabilitation of a building on Church Street in New Haven, and one of the former tenants at the building was Charles Lunch.  As they scraped away the layers, they found a sign for five cent ice cream sodas, which they speculated was a remnant of “Nickel Charlie’s.”  About halfway down the article is a good picture of the storefront, which, true to its nickname, shows food for five cents including a “Hamburg” or "Frankfort.”  And not just any Frankfort, but Carl Roessler Frankforts.  Interestingly, the article refers to the photo as circa 1938, but the movie poster shown partially in the lower right corner advertises Marion Davies and Gary Cooper in “Operator 13” which came out in 1934.  Perhaps Michael spent some of his youth in that theater, as well as Nickel Charlie's?

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/gateway_spurs_church_street_rehab/

In answer to HDtravlr1's inquiry about the availability of chop suey/chow mein sandwiches, it appears that there are still a few places in Fall River and Salem that offer them.
      <message edited by Treetop Tom on Wed, 02/13/13 2:29 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
        Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Wed, 02/13/13 3:08 PM (permalink)
        Almost every Saturday in winter and spring I went to the movie matinee at the Loews Poli Palace Theater right there, hard by Nickel Charlie's. I'd usually wait till I got out of the palace before grabbing a couple of hamburgers and a chow mein sandwich and boarding the trolley (later the bus) home. Lunch before the movie was usually at Eddie Rham's on Center Street for a cheeseburger and a razz lime.

Oh, and by the time I was old enough to go there hamburgers were 15 cents.
        <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Wed, 02/13/13 3:21 PM>

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
          Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Mon, 02/18/13 3:31 PM (permalink)
          Most of the chinese restaurants here in San Antonio carry Chop Suey and chow mein.I've also seen pressed duck and peking duck too.Golden Wok has dimsum
          like you would find in China. Most sweet and sour chicken here is chicken chunks that are dipped in batter and then fried  and covered with sauce.
          Now you are making me hungery for chinese food.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
            Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Mon, 02/18/13 3:49 PM (permalink)
            There used to be a chop suey place in Madison, WI, on the west side of Park Street just south of W. Washington Avenue but I'll be darned if I can remember the name...was it Frank's?

Lovefoodies

• Total Posts: 1
              Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Wed, 03/6/13 9:25 AM (permalink)
              In Britain you can get both chop suey & sweet and sour balls, usually in takeaways. If you want to have original sweet and sour chicken it is usually called something like cantonese Sweet and sour, and isn't made with batter balls but coated with corn flour. Much more delicious!

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                Re:Chop Suey and Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls? Thu, 05/30/13 5:05 PM (permalink)
                ScreamingChicken

There used to be a chop suey place in Madison, WI, on the west side of Park Street just south of W. Washington Avenue but I'll be darned if I can remember the name...was it Frank's?
                Wow SC....I just saw the PM notification. It was Tony's...used to go in there all the time. Kind of a dump, but good.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com