Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mission Im-pie-sible

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 158
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Tue, 03/12/13 4:14 PM (permalink)
The Engagement Ring Pie!

That pie has had an impact...

http://www.yourengagement...e-engagement-ring-pie/

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1272
    Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Tue, 03/12/13 6:08 PM (permalink)
    YES!!!!  That's it!!!    That's impressive that you found that.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2234
      Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Tue, 03/12/13 6:47 PM (permalink)
      L2B, great pictures, great report. This is a true quality Roadfood report, the restaurants and Bakeries were well thought out. In doing so you showed us all the many places to stop going through these areas of the USA.....Thx for taking the time, I know how much time this takes to do what you do.....................pnwc

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Tue, 03/12/13 11:51 PM (permalink)
        Thanks, pnw!  I followed your train trip, too.  What a fantastic journey and fabulous pics.  Taking that trans-Canadian trip has been on my bucket list for years.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Wed, 03/13/13 6:16 PM (permalink)
          It's the next day, and I'm assigned to judge professional pies today.  Here are a few of the entries.

First up, a raisin pie.  Until I came to the National Pie Championships, I don't think I'd ever even tasted a raisin pie.  However, I came away from these events craving them.  This pie had many interesting elements to it--nothing too weird or edgy--all delicious!  The crust was made of oatmeal cookies.

This was also raisin pie, but seemed more like a chocolate pie with raisins, and kind of blurred the category lines.  It was tasty, though!

In the fruit and berry category, quite a voluptuous pie:

This year they had a mini-pie category.  This is a beautiful example, and it won in its category.

A triple chocolate cream pie--not for the faint of heart!

I also ended up judging junior chef and Best of Show for both of those divisions.  Instead of going to watch the awards, however, I drove over to Cocoa Beach to put my feet in the warm Florida ocean.  Ahhhhhh...

Leaving Florida the next day and heading north to visit my sister, I found a place called Southern Image Catering and Eatery in Richmond Hill, GA, and they had a buffet--YES!

Here's the BBQ up close:

And assorted desserts.  (Notice--no pies!!)

I kept going and arrived in Fayetteville, NC, where I stopped at Cape Fear BBQ & Chicken.  I adore North Carolina chopped barbecue, as I spent several years there.  Their's was a classic example, and I was a happy girl.

They also had house-made hush puppies so fresh they fogged up my camera lens.

The flavor of their Brunswick stew was also classic; however, I wish they wouldn't have allowed green beans in there.  I imagine it was part of the frozen vegetable mix they used, but still.  Anyway, no biggie--I was happy to be having it.

Forgive the fast food stop, but the next morning it was Bojangles for biscuits.

Steak:

And country ham:

Time for a break.  Next stop will be Warrenton, VA, at Frost Diner.
          <message edited by love2bake on Wed, 03/13/13 6:22 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Wed, 03/13/13 6:23 PM (permalink)
            Love Bojangles!

CCinNJ

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Thu, 03/14/13 1:55 PM (permalink)
              The strawberry little vixen pie!

With the stems still attached it screams to plunk one of those strawberries off the top. Is that allowed...as a Judge?

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Thu, 03/14/13 3:38 PM (permalink)
                March 14th...Happy Pie Day....at 1:59 PM!!!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Thu, 03/14/13 3:44 PM (permalink)
                  I celebrated Pie Day...

SEVERAL Times so far, and there is still 8+ hours left in the day.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9551
                    Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 2:24 AM (permalink)
                    My Bride was hungry for pie tonight but didn't realize it was National Pie Day!
                    Must have been her inner clock!
                    So I went to the Black Bear Diner and got her one of their Individual Blackberry Pies, i.e. cobblers.
                    No sense waisting,(spelling correct!) a trip so----I got me one of the Apple ones!
                    http://blackbeardiner.com/BBD_Dessert-Menu-1-2.pdf

CCinNJ

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 12:26 PM (permalink)
                      I read the rules of the contest....gasp!

New Jersey residents are not allowed to participate!

Boo....hiss...boo.

We can have you come judge the parking lot pie category for us. That's where all the fun can happen in 2014.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 12:27 PM (permalink)
                        CC - I'm with you!  Judges are supposed to taste the pies as they were intended to be tasted, and I agree with you 100%--those berries were intended to be plunked off there and popped in the mouth!  Although I didn't see anyone do that, maybe after the judging is done, what happens in the judging room stays in the judging room.

As far as Pie Day is concerned, please let me clarify:  National Pie Day is January 23, and National Pi Day is March 14.  We pie lovers have happily adopted the latter in addition to the original for obvious reasons!  The math people are mostly okay with this.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 1:41 PM (permalink)
                          In Warrenton, VA, visiting my sister, I stopped at Frost Diner.  It's a classic metal diner, and while I don't have any pics of it, there are several on the following page--just scroll down a bit to see them: http://www.choppedonion.com/id133.html

Here's what I had for breakfast:

Accompanied by:

Another visit to Carousel Frozen Treats:

And it's on to Culpeper, VA, a quaint, historic town and home of Knakal's Bakery, recommended by my sister.
                          http://knakalsbakery.com/

Supposedly famous for their doughnuts, I tried a variety of good-looking pastries.  Although I don't recall the name of this pastry, the cake had one of the most tender crumbs I've ever had.

Here's a mini lemon chess pie:

And a custard-filled doughnut:

However, my favorite item here was their cinnamon roll ring, which I unfortunately don't have a photo of, but can definitely recommend!

Fast forwarding a few states and heading to Chicago, I went through Amish country, hoping to find some pies (I hadn't had enough!!)  Seeing folks in buggies is common enough, but bikes were a first for me:

So, excited by the review and pie pics of the Village Inn in Middlebury, IN:
                          http://www.roadfood.com/R...erview/565/village-inn
                          I headed there.  As I reached town, however, the following sign grabbed my attention:

Waahhhhhh!!!  It was only a tease because, guess what--it was Sunday, and they were closed!   So, I suspected the same would be true of the Village Inn, and sadly, it was.  It should've been a no-brainer, but it was also an unfortunate result of my scheduling. 

My consolation prize was a (say this in your best Barry White voice) Choco-Cherry Love blizzard at Dairy Queen, which didn't care what day of the week it was.

So, that was my Sunday school lesson...

I happily made it to Chicago, which I've wanted to visit for years.  Although I only had one full day there, I did at least a little damage.  First up was Johnnie's, in Elmwood Park, thankfully not crowded on a chilly afternoon.
                          http://www.roadfood.com/R...Overview/3447/johnnies

I loved this place!  The lemon ice was spectacular:

And Italian beef, dipped, with sweet peppers--what can I say!

If I'd had more tummy space, I'd have gotten a sausage.  This is a definite drawback to traveling alone.

Next day, in addition to hitting a few of the city highlights like the Willis Tower (I think it used to be Sears), Millenium Park, and the Chicago Art Institute, I stopped at Garrett's Popcorn Shop, where the Chicago mix was outrageous.  Caramel with pecan was also delicious:
                          http://www.roadfood.com/R.../garretts-popcorn-shop

Later I went to Gene & Jude's http://www.roadfood.com/R...erview/2284/gene-judes and had some of the best French fries ever:

covering up the dog:

With little time to spare before closing time, I made a beeline for Eli's Cheesecake, another famous Chicago favorite.
                          http://www.elicheesecake.com/
                          Here's what I tried at Eli's.  Salted caramel cheesecake:

Their original "plain" cheesecake:

Mixed berry cheesecake:

And lemon:

I definitely have to go back to Chicago--I hardly made a dent.

<message edited by love2bake on Fri, 03/15/13 2:04 PM>

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 1:43 PM (permalink)
                            CCinNJ

I read the rules of the contest....gasp!

New Jersey residents are not allowed to participate!

Boo....hiss...boo.

We can have you come judge the parking lot pie category for us. That's where all the fun can happen in 2014.

Wth!!!  Is that the only state?  Wonder why. 

Absolutely--I love the parking lot pie category.  I'm sure we could recruit a few other RF judges!!
                            <message edited by love2bake on Fri, 03/15/13 2:07 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 2:17 PM (permalink)
                              Maybe they think we'd try to bribe the Judges.

Psst...look under my pie plate...before you vote.

Then we can pie toss. I'll win that with my own skillz.

We're not alone. AZ...TN...MD...DC as well.
                              <message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 03/15/13 2:19 PM>

mar52

• Total Posts: 7598
                                Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                I should never check this thread in the morning.  Those calories jump out from my monitor and attach themselves to me.

For dinner tonight or right now I'd like that Italian sandwich and the lemon chess pie... and cheesecake.

love2bake...  you're travels and choices are so inspiring. 

I'm loving your report!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Fri, 03/15/13 7:00 PM (permalink)
                                  Your report is fantastic. You are a real trooper, love2bake, and a fantastic member of this tribe.........

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sat, 03/16/13 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                    Haha, CC!!  We should rent one of the villas next door and bake and eat pies.  So, I checked with the American Pie Council, and apparently the restrictions in those states have to do with old gaming rules on the books.  However, even though people can't compete, they can still be judges, volunteers, etc., and get all the pie they could possibly ever want without any of the stress of competing!

Thanks Mar and Ann - Thank you for making me welcome in the tribe!!  I really hope to meet you in the future. Roadfooding would be way more fun then.

Mar - you have so hit on the reason I didn't read trip reports for months.  I was busy dieting off the weight I'd gained from this trip and lots of home cooking/baking experiments, ballpark food, etc., so had to shut out all of that amazing input.  Cooking shows, too--outta my life!  Waahhhhh

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
                                      Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sat, 03/16/13 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                      love2bake, Great report and pics....it is a fusion similar to the philosophy of Thai food-sweet, sour, salty, bitter and hot....of course while featuring PIE! Thank you.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sat, 03/16/13 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                        Once past Chicago, I'm on the home stretch via I-80. (I hear a collective sigh of relief out there!!)

It's funny, but you can tell when you've left cow country for pig country, and I entered Iowa wanting to find a pork tenderloin sandwich.  Stopped at the Machine Shed in Davenport, so I could also try their famous cinnamon buns.  I must say that this pork tenderloin was not was I was expecting--it was more like fish and chips--batter-and-fried--than a breaded and fried type:

Sorry for the blur:

And a slice of raspberry pie to go:

Here's how big the cinnamon bun was (room key for comparison):

Unfortunately, in the afternoon it wasn't very fresh. :(

My next "significant" stop was in Cheyenne, WY, and what I was not expecting at all was to find soul food there!  Mitchell's BBQ is fairly new on the scene in town, but it already had a following.  I went for the "Tennessee Tango" dinner comprised of a double-decker sandwich and sides:

The sandwich had a layer of BBQ pork and BBQ brisket, separated by a slice of white bread:

Genius.

Moving along, the next day I stopped for lunch at Grub's Drive In in Rock Springs, WY.  Maybe it used to be a drive-in, but now you just park out front and walk in.  It's mostly counter seating and is popular with the locals.  I went for the Shamrock, which is their standard burger.  

and French fries, which were made fresh in house and spectacular:

I heard they were good with gravy.  Some might not be into it, but I tried it:

And two house-made pies!  Fresh pear:

And rhubarb, still warm, so fell apart when they cut into it.  (This was my favorite.)

Last stop was The Griddle in Winnemucca, NV, where I tried their unique looking house-made cinnamon bun. (The toothpicks in there were to keep the to-go-lid away from the topping.)

and their French toast stuffed with cream cheese and house-made strawberry-rhubarb jam.

I just realized that I neglected to mention my ice cream stop in Oklahoma City at Braum's Ice Cream & Dairy Store, a regional favorite.  Rather than go back to that post, I'll just leave it here as dessert:  German chocolate sundae.

Thanks so much to everyone for your encouragement and sense of humor!  I look forward to meeting up with you whenever we can.  In the meantime, the 2013 National Pie Championships are coming up the last weekend in April.  I won't be driving there this year, but will spend some time on the road between Florida and Virginia.  Bye for now!!
                                        <message edited by love2bake on Sat, 03/16/13 2:33 PM>

mar52

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sat, 03/16/13 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                          You're leaving?  DON'T!!!

You just killed me with that rhubarb pie.  If I saw that slice, I would have ordered an entire pie to go.

There are some pies that I do like. 

Stay and tell us about San Francisco Bay spots to eat.  Our dinner thread needs you!

Your trip report was spectacular.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                            Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sat, 03/16/13 3:37 PM (permalink)
                                            Just an outstanding report!!

Ralph Melton

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sat, 03/16/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                              A splendid report. Thank you very much.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sun, 03/17/13 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                                Thank you for your kind words and observations, Wintahaba.  

Agnes and Ralph - Thank you for the shout out!

Mar - I'm happy to hear you like a few pies! I like a few cakes.  And a lot of doughnuts.  I'm also ashamed to say that I go out to eat more in other people's cities than I do in my own.   Part of it is because I really dislike driving in SF, and the public transportation to many of the places I'm interested in just sucks.  However, I'm going to take this challenge and try to get up there more this year. (It's just 25 miles...pitiful.)  A friend and I did a bakery crawl a year or so ago in the Mission District.  It was a blast--maybe I should look up those pics.

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                  Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Sun, 03/17/13 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                                  Do it!  (Great name for a store)

My niece lives in San Francisco.  I've only visited her once, sad to say.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                    Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Mon, 03/18/13 5:24 AM (permalink)
                                                    A report for the ages. Please come here to portland. We have wonderful pie shops, great seafood and food carts to die for.Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                                      Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Mon, 03/18/13 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                                      love2bake, Spectacular Report!  Excellent choices and photos.

I figure Buffetbuster's heart stopped somewhere around page 3.

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                        Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Mon, 03/18/13 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                                        Thank you, mr chips!  Almost came up last fall--definitely thinking about it this year, and if so, will coordinate with you. 

Thanks, joerogo - and that's such a great way of putting it.  buffetbuster's reports do that to me, too, and make me want to bake, like, 20 pies afterwards. 

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                                          • Location: Noblesville, IN
                                                          Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Mon, 03/18/13 8:04 PM (permalink)
                                                          I loved this report! And the pies. Thanks for sharing it with us!

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                            Re:Mission Im-pie-sible Wed, 03/20/13 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                                            Thank you, Root-Beer Man!  I'm glad I could share my pie and road trip adventures.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 158

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com