The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE?

MR. FRAZIER

• Total Posts: 15
ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 12:09 AM (permalink)
Hey guys i'm new to this forum and would humbly like to ask for some advise.  I'm building a food truck and I'm strongly thinking about doing a "southern Fish Fry theme".  I'm in Memphis, Tn and there are a few trucks operating and no one is doing fish. I think there could be a market for fried catfish with a southern twist.  My question to you guys is: Are any of you or do you know of anyone doing fried catfish. What are some hang ups/ benefits?  Any advise and or criticism is welcomed.  

Thanks,

Mr. Frazier 

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 12:18 AM (permalink)
    In Springfield Illinois there is a guy doing fish out of a walk up, winter and summer, former gas station that's is doing great business. He has been around for 10 or 12 years. In fact he is now selling carp, catfish, and Asian Carp (Asian Carp cost 57 cent per LB) selling it for $8.00 per order with river fries.  Lines every day from 11:30 until 2:00 pm. And none of his prices are cheap but they are large orders.

Good luck and welcome top Road Food.

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 12:25 AM (permalink)
      Thanks Dr., 
      It's really encouraging to hear that someone else is doing well.  Thanks for the post.  Asian carp never crossed my mind.  I fish a lot and have had several jump in my boat but i just throw them back in the river.  Maybe i'll keep a few next time and drop some in some hot grease lol.  Btw, what are river fries? 

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 12:54 AM (permalink)
        Large potatoes cut long way into wedges. Just cut throw them in hot grease and fry. Fast easy and no big deal. They are called RF because they are often served at camps on fishing trips all over the country. LMAO Where have you been? LOL

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 1:00 AM (permalink)
          Lol.  Oh just regular ole large cut french fries.  I can honestly say i've never heard the term River Fries and we camp several times a year.  That's a new one lol.  Thanks bro. 

roadkillgrill

• Total Posts: 174
            Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 1:32 AM (permalink)
            Hey Mr Frazier, I'm just across the river. In the South we call those JoJo Potatoes. In the past 15 years I have only seen 2 vendors selling Cat. I'll pass on what I saw. Long waiting time, mad customers. Large amount of LP. Cool down time from 2 35# fryers after event. storage of grease. mosts events down here will not let you set up on asphalt(same as for Mudbug). not to even get into the price of Cat. If that's what you want to do, you know the processing plant is in Tunica. most restaurants here go to Belzoni area processors and pick it up themselves due to price.  good luck

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 1:45 AM (permalink)
              roadkillgrill,
              thanks for the input. Yeah one of my main concerns was the wait times.  I'm thinking about stripping the fish out.  I'm thinking that cutting the fish into smaller pieces should cut down on the cooking time.  The last thing i want are angry customers, but you get what you pay for.  I wont sacrifice quality for volume.  Events will not be my main focus. I will be a lunch truck mainly targeting warehouses with hundreds of employees with 30 minute lunches.  With a little trial and error, i'll kinda have an idea of how much to start cooking to kinda get a jump on wait times.  And thanks for the tip on the plant in Tunica.  I will definitely be checking them out.  Thanks again.

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Sat, 02/9/13 3:01 AM (permalink)
                Trying to post a pic.  Not sure if this will work.  
                Got a ways to go on my build but she's coming along.  Might have to copy and paste link.  Let me know what yall think.  I have more pics if this works.

www.flickr.com/photos/93025326@N05/8457013969/in/photostream
                <message edited by MR. FRAZIER on Sat, 02/9/13 3:03 AM>

reesesgrill

• Total Posts: 9
                  Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Tue, 04/30/13 5:20 AM (permalink)
                  HOW is your catfish frying coming along? i am also in memphis and in the process of building a food truck for fried chicken.i have some of the same concerns about long waits and the best fryers to use.are you up and running if so i would love to come buy some catfish!!

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Tue, 04/30/13 6:29 AM (permalink)
                    The food truck isn't up and running just yet.  As a matter of fact, I just dropped it off yesterday to have it wrapped.  Everything else is done just a few odds and ends.  I'm planning on launching in july but I've already done a couple corporate fish fries in the last month; each doing over 100 people.  With the catfish prices down I did pretty good.  I used 2 35lb fryers and was able to keep up pretty easily.  I personally think that fried chicken will do quite well in Memphis.  Yeah cook time will be an issue, but folk know it takes time to fry chicken.  Good luck.  If there's anything i can do to help just let me know.  mthrelkeld1@gmail.com
                    reesesgrill

HOW is your catfish frying coming along? i am also in memphis and in the process of building a food truck for fried chicken.i have some of the same concerns about long waits and the best fryers to use.are you up and running if so i would love to come buy some catfish!!

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
                      Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Tue, 04/30/13 8:35 AM (permalink)
                      Hope your going to have hush puppies!

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Tue, 04/30/13 7:40 PM (permalink)
                        AWE YEAH MAN GOTTA HAVE HUSHPUPPIES.  I'M ALSO DOING FISH AND SHRIMP PO-BOYS AS WELL AS FISH AND SHRIMP TACOS.  ALL WILL BE OFFERED EITHER FRIED OR GRILLED.  PROBABLY DO SOME TENDERS AND BURGERS FOR THOSE THAT DONT EAT FISH.  HADN'T MADE MY MIND UP YET.  MIGHT JUST STICK WITH FISH AND SEAFOOD.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                          Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Wed, 05/1/13 12:00 AM (permalink)
                          MR. FRAZIER

AWE YEAH MAN GOTTA HAVE HUSHPUPPIES.  I'M ALSO DOING FISH AND SHRIMP PO-BOYS AS WELL AS FISH AND SHRIMP TACOS.  ALL WILL BE OFFERED EITHER FRIED OR GRILLED.  PROBABLY DO SOME TENDERS AND BURGERS FOR THOSE THAT DONT EAT FISH.  HADN'T MADE MY MIND UP YET.  MIGHT JUST STICK WITH FISH AND SEAFOOD.

With that kind of time consuming menu, you're gonna need helpers in you're going after the 30 minute lunch crowd. Keep it simple for faster service.

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Wed, 05/1/13 12:10 AM (permalink)
                            YEAH I REALIZE MY MENU IS A LITTLE AMBITIOUS LOL.  JUST BRAINSTORMING THE POSSIBILITIES.  I WOULDN'T DARE TRY AND DO ALL THAT ON THE SAME DAY.  I'M STAYING TRUE TO MY BRAND BUY MAY THROW IN A "SPECIAL" FROM TIME TO TIME JUST TO KEEP THINGS INTERESTING.  THX ANYWAY BRO. 

reesesgrill

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Wed, 05/1/13 8:55 AM (permalink)
                              MR. FRAZIER
                              thanks!! i have a couple of questions i will email you!

The food truck isn't up and running just yet.  As a matter of fact, I just dropped it off yesterday to have it wrapped.  Everything else is done just a few odds and ends.  I'm planning on launching in july but I've already done a couple corporate fish fries in the last month; each doing over 100 people.  With the catfish prices down I did pretty good.  I used 2 35lb fryers and was able to keep up pretty easily.  I personally think that fried chicken will do quite well in Memphis.  Yeah cook time will be an issue, but folk know it takes time to fry chicken.  Good luck.  If there's anything i can do to help just let me know.  mthrelkeld1@gmail.com
                              reesesgrill

reesesgrill

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Mon, 05/20/13 7:50 AM (permalink)
                                hey saw you on fb,i liked your page great looking truck!

MR. FRAZIER

Re:ANYBODY FRYING CATFISH OUT THERE? Thu, 05/23/13 8:48 PM (permalink)
                                  Hey thanks a lot.  Still a work in progress.  Had a blowout the other day.  Guess i'll be getting new tires now lol.  Let me know when you're up and moving.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com