The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Safe

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
Safe Mon, 02/11/13 8:39 AM (permalink)
Just sitting here thinking how nice it is to be safe and warm.
It seems like from Texas to the east coast of the US and from Toronto to Newfoundland people aren't. 

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
    Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
    The older I get, the more the idea of losing power, bothers the hell out of me!
    As a kid growing up in the DC area, I never remember a power outage from a storm.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
      Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 1:33 PM (permalink)
      Guess I'm probably older than you, chewy, because we had a major blizzard and lost power once when I was a kid (in Falls Church, VA), and for a few days we lived with our neighbors who had a fireplace.  I get really nostalgic and romantic about snow until I think of losing power...

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3305
        Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 2:56 PM (permalink)
        At risk of jinxing myself, I have to say I am absolutely amazed that we haven't lost power yet! They haven't really upgraded the service at all from when I lived in this house as a kid, and we used to lose power at least a dozen times a year, during all seasons.

It is very nice to be safe! And your post reminded me that while I hate how cold I am forced to keep my house (my hands and nose are always cold), at least I have the option of turning the heat up. Thank you for the perspective!

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
          Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 4:05 PM (permalink)
          Good sentiment, Ice Cream Man.  Your post was more like a prayer but much appreciated.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
            Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 5:49 PM (permalink)
            love2bake

Guess I'm probably older than you, chewy, because we had a major blizzard and lost power once when I was a kid (in Falls Church, VA), and for a few days we lived with our neighbors who had a fireplace.  I get really nostalgic and romantic about snow until I think of losing power...

When I was a kid, Falls Church was "in the Boondocks" love2bake, I was fortunate to be raised in Chevy Chase Village, too many rich powerful people to let PEPCO, let the power fail there!

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
              Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
              Three years ago, we installed a Generac 20KW Whole House Standby Generator. It's powered by natural gas.  We've had four outages since we installed it, one of which was for two days.  For some reason, our neighbors are a lot friendlier than they used to be.

Sundancer7

Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 6:16 PM (permalink)
                jman

Three years ago, we installed a Generac 20KW Whole House Standby Generator. It's powered by natural gas.  We've had four outages since we installed it, one of which was for two days.  For some reason, our neighbors are a lot friendlier than they used to be.

Jman:  I have a interest in the generator as we live in a very mature peninsula with out 75-100 houses with very large trees.  We lose power about once a month and with storms, it is often a few days before power is restored.  I have natural gas.  Can you give me an idea about the cost of the generator and installation cost?

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
                  Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 6:45 PM (permalink)
                  Generators, Was it 2003 when the whole eastern side of the country including Southern Ontario was out, I bought a 6000 watt generator for 3000 dollars for the store. After that the longest my power was out was 1 hour. Usually it goes out once or twice a year for 20 minutes. Last year it never went out at all. I sold the generator in October for 650. It had 3.3 hours on it, never added gas or changed the oil. The 3.3 hours were from exercising it.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 7:20 PM (permalink)
                    My biggest fear, in somewhat of a mild winter, is falling. We have snow, 60 degrees, than rain that freezes. Cant see what we call, black ice. I have altered the way i walk, to avoid these situations. Bob and I are equipped with high powered battery operated lamps, and my work told me to bring food to our freezers if we lose power. I am not worried about that-i just dont want to fall.........

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
                      Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 7:25 PM (permalink)
                      Sundancer7

jman

Jman:  I have a interest in the generator as we live in a very mature peninsula with out 75-100 houses with very large trees.  We lose power about once a month and with storms, it is often a few days before power is restored.  I have natural gas.  Can you give me an idea about the cost of the generator and installation cost?

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

A 20KW unit will run about $5000 plus installation.  The installation can be $2000-$3000 depending upon a number of factors.  Lowes is pretty competitive on the unit, so you might want to get an estimate from them on installation, which they will sub out.  More and more electrical contractors are now selling these units, so if you've got a contractor that you can depend on, you might want to check with them.

felix4067

Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 7:35 PM (permalink)
                        ann peeples

My biggest fear, in somewhat of a mild winter, is falling. We have snow, 60 degrees, than rain that freezes. Cant see what we call, black ice. I have altered the way i walk, to avoid these situations. Bob and I are equipped with high powered battery operated lamps, and my work told me to bring food to our freezers if we lose power. I am not worried about that-i just dont want to fall.........

Amen to that! This year I had the added "bonus" of having had surgery on my foot at the end of October that requires building bone where there wasn't any, so I've been either on crutches or using a cane since it started snowing. There are days when I simply do not leave the house, because if I fall and do something to my foot I'll be worse off than I was before. You always hear about black ice on the roads, but no one ever thinks about it on sidewalks. I bought a pair of those stupid stretchy ice spike contraptions you wear over your shoes this year, because I was so afraid of falling (or even slipping wrong if I didn't actually fall) and screwing up something. They seem to work.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                          Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 7:44 PM (permalink)
                          ann peeples

I totally agree Ann! We had black ice last week and then again this morning, along with all the snow left from the weekend. Although this morning it was all about the freezing rain too. And I have to open tomorrow, meaning I have to get there by 6:15am. So I'm a little worried about the morning. My kids have been great about shoveling and salting!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
                            Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 7:54 PM (permalink)
                            While living in Virginia 1969 - 2005 the worst outage I can remember was the result of Camille soon after I had arrived at U.VA.  Even though the floods did not affect us, power was out in Charlottesville for five days.  Otherwise, while living in Staunton (1972- 1978) and Arlington/McLean (1978 - 2005) outages were rare and rarely lasted more than a few hours.

In Texas for the past eight years even short outages are extremely rare.  We live in Collin County where, for the most part, utilities are buried.  In addition, Texas has its own grid and it seems to be very robust. 

In many ways, we feel very "safe" down here.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Safe Mon, 02/11/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
                              Power outages, just another sign of our failing infrastructure. It's only gonna get worse.

felix4067

Re:Safe Tue, 02/12/13 12:07 AM (permalink)
                                MikeS.

Power outages, just another sign of our failing infrastructure. It's only gonna get worse.

Ironically, power outages were more common and lasted longer in the past than now in my area.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com