Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicken of the Month

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 115
agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
Re:Chicken of the Month Fri, 07/12/13 9:06 PM (permalink)
Well, I guess fried chicken will have to be on the menu this weekend!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
    Re:Chicken of the Month Fri, 07/12/13 9:26 PM (permalink)
    This thread is AMAZING! I thank y'all!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
      Re:Chicken of the Month Fri, 07/12/13 10:44 PM (permalink)
      Brad and I were supposed to meet at Rip's Tavern in Ladd, IL this Sunday.  Unfortunately his schedule got whipped around so we had to postpone.

Full report when the grand event happens.

Buddy

P.S. Nice shot from Bonaparte's, BTW.

B.

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
        Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 07/13/13 8:57 AM (permalink)
        How did I miss this special fried chicken tour? Wonderful report and photos of your meals! Can't wait for the next installments!

There is a BBQ place near me that does broasted chicken and I think that is better than their BBQ. My mom made pan fried chicken just about every week and she became an expert at making it.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4726
          Re:Chicken of the Month Mon, 07/15/13 12:50 PM (permalink)
          CajunKing

Fried Chicken Dinner
          Bonaparte's Retreat
          Napoleon, IN

It is a true SE Indiana fried chicken, the skin was crispy and peppery the meat was tender and juicy.
          Yes, it was indeed very good fried chicken and CK is to be commended for his choice of Bonaparte's Retreat!  And while it's listed on the menu as a dinner I should point out that it was actually lunchtime when we ate.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Fri, 08/2/13 9:17 AM (permalink)
            July was another month that went down to the wire.  As noted above I did have some chicken while on the road but since that'll be part of a future thread I didn't want to double-dip unless I had absolutely no other choice, so 2 days ago I stopped at DeBroux's Diner in Oregon, WI.

Eating at 3:30pm means not having to deal with crowds.  Booths line the wall to my left.

If this sign was on the wall and chicken wasn't on the menu you can bet that someone would sue.  Oregon is, after all, less than 10 miles from Madison.

I suppose I could've made my own version of hot chicken.

Dinner (and at 3:30 I suppose it was truly an early bird) comes with 2 sides so I opted for a cup of chicken dumpling soup as the first.  It was stew-thick with small dumplings and plenty of chicken without relying too heavily on vegetables, and while I wouldn't describe the flavor as rich it had a kind of clean, slightly tangy undertone that I liked.

A warm, fall-apart-crumbly biscuit topped with real butter (in Wisconsin it's against the law to not have butter on a restaurant table) arrived with the chicken.

The chicken had a light breading that I really liked and the meat was moist and flavorful, but once again I would've preferred just a little bit more seasoning.  Frankly, I think the Indiana fried chicken I've had over the past couple of years may have jaded my tastebuds.

The crust may have been thinner than the skin itself.

There was still another side dish to be had and I saved it for the end for a reason: this was one of the best potato pancakes I've had in a long time.  It had a great texture, wasn't at all greasy nor too oniony, and the fresh herbs (I couldn't quite put my finger on the flavor) really added a nice touch.

I hadn't been to DeBroux's for a number of years (since the name change from BrouxNellie's, in fact) because my previous meal there had been extremely disappointing, but this was by all accounts a worthwhile stop and I'll be going back for more potato pancakes sometime.  And as a side note, I took home a piece of homemade pecan pie for Mrs. Chicken and she determined it to be very good.
            <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Fri, 08/2/13 9:18 AM>

cousin-ick

• Total Posts: 7
              Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 08/4/13 7:52 PM (permalink)
              SC, great thread! I have this bookmarked and will be trying some of these places ASAP!

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 08/4/13 9:08 PM (permalink)
                Thank you and welcome, Cousin-ick!  I get over into the eastern 608/western 262 fairly often and Waukesha isn't that far away.

Have you been following the thread about the Contingent lunch at Fred's in Burlington in a couple of weeks?

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                  Re:Chicken of the Month Mon, 08/5/13 12:15 AM (permalink)
                  Love the Chicken Basket...eaten there many times...make sure you not only get the mashed potatoes, but also there homemade stuffing....terrific.    There chicken livers are also to die for...nice report with good pictures.

cousin-ick

• Total Posts: 7
                    Re:Chicken of the Month Mon, 08/5/13 2:36 PM (permalink)
                    SC,
                    Thanks for the warm welcome!
                    Point me to the Fred's Thread, might be interested. If it's the place I'm thinking of, I've got a mildly humorous anecdote to share.
                    Got friends in Madtown that will come with me to the Chicken Joints you've listed and folks that have been to Dell Rheas and want to return! Yay me!!

Just read that the Chicken Basket has livers on the menu, oh my...

Cheers!

ick

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Mon, 08/5/13 2:44 PM (permalink)

TnTinCT

Re:Chicken of the Month Tue, 08/6/13 11:52 AM (permalink)
                        Great chicken pics, I love this thread. Can't wait for the fall Roadfood trip and the fried chicken at Gus's in Memphis! 

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 08/10/13 12:15 PM (permalink)
                          August will be done in a much more timely manner.  West End Diner in Edgerton has moved into the Main Street space formerly occupied by the now-defunct Vitaioli's and I knew that chicken was on the menu, so this past Thursday I stopped in for supper.

The counter was transplanted from West End's former location on Burdick Street.

I apologize for the somewhat otherwordly appearance of the photos.  The counter and plates were almost identical shades of white; had I known it would create some strange effects I would've sat in a booth, where a tablecloth is used.

The first things I saw were some plates of turnovers fresh from the oven; there were 2 already on the counter and while I was there another 2 came out of the oven.

I started with a dish of cottage cheese and after about 20 minutes my order was up.  The green beans were pretty ordinary but I definitely enjoyed the potatoes and gravy.

I didn't ask but I'm guessing the chicken was battered and not breaded, as the coating was very crisp and exploded into  tiny pieces when I bit into it.

At WED they're not afraid to use salt in the kitchen and the chicken reminded me very much of the Indiana fried chicken I've had; in fact, with a little more pepper I think this would've been a very acceptable copy.  I really enjoyed the crisp crust but it was so fragmentable that when I was done I felt obliged to apologize for deep-fried shrapnel I'd scattered about the counter.

I was surprised to be the only diner between 5:15 and 6pm but it was a nice day so perhaps the early eaters had come and gone, and others were postponing supper until later.  We've been to West End several times and the food and service have always been good; it's been around since 1998 so it appears to have a good customer base.
                          <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Sat, 08/10/13 12:25 PM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 08/10/13 3:15 PM (permalink)
                            Yeah there is not enough black pepper in that batter to be considered SEI fried chicken, we Germans LOVE our black pepper.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6230
                              Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 08/10/13 3:53 PM (permalink)
                              SC
                              Great report!!  Absolutely all of the chicken pictures look good to me.  I love, love fried chicken and MH won't touch it.   

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                                Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 08/10/13 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                I knew MH was a man of distinction.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 08/10/13 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                  lleechef

I love, love fried chicken and MH won't touch it.
                                  Maybe you should slap a Chef Boyardee label on some to see if that changes his mind!

Thank you everyone for all the kind comments so far.  It's hard to believe I'm already 8 months in with only 4 to go.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                    Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 08/11/13 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                    Lisa-we need to do a fried chicken tour-Bob wont touch it either!

buffetbuster

Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 08/11/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                      SC-
                                      Thanks so much for this splendid thread.  We may end up taking a vote and insist that you keep on adding to it past the 12 months.  My vote for best looking meal so far has to be Halverson's, but the best signage has to be at Dell Rhea's.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6230
                                        Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 08/11/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                        ann peeples

Lisa-we need to do a fried chicken tour-Bob wont touch it either!

I'm all for it!  We'll leave the guys at home to eat Raviolios!!! 

ann peeples

Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 08/11/13 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                          That's funny-Bob likes that crap..........lol!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17832
                                            Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 08/11/13 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                            What the heck are Raviolios? A conflation of ravioli and Spaghettios.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 09/8/13 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                              September's chicken took me to Maasz's North Shore Inn just outside Fort Atkinson.

The name comes from the fact that Maasz's is located on the north shore of Lake Koshkonong.

Dinner is served only in the dining room, which is smaller than I expected and rather dimly lit.  We were given a table right away but at busier times customers order food and receive numbers at the bar.

I started with a cup of creamy, flavorful chicken and rice (white and wild) soup that was almost stew-like in its consistency.

Mrs. Chicken opted for the salad and Maasz's serves the homemade dressings at the table.  She liked the ranch dressing enough to take home a pint.

Maasz's also offers fish fry on Wednesdays as well as Fridays.  It was pretty good although one piece did have a slightly rubbery section.

But this thread isn't about fish, it's about chicken, and on Wednesdays one of the specials is a 4-piece dinner for $8.

The crust was outstanding, with good thickness and excellent crunch, and the chicken itself was well-seasoned, juicy, and flavorful.  The breast did have a dry spot but the thigh, drumstick, and wing were very good.

The potato pancakes were a pleasant surprise; I'm not sure if they're available all the time or just on fish fry nights.  They're smaller in size and fairly smooth as opposed to having well-defined pieces of shredded potatoes, and they had a light onion note.

Maasz's was a nice find and judging by the building and decor it's been around for a long time.  I first found it a few years ago on a Sunday drive but this was our first visit, and there's a decent chance we'll return.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Chicken of the Month Sun, 09/8/13 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                                I will have a bowl and a chix dinner!

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Thu, 10/31/13 8:53 AM (permalink)
                                                  For October I decided to stay close to home with Deak's Pub and Grill, a local establishment that's been around for a few years.  Mrs. Chicken and I have eaten here several times and the food's always been good, but I didn't realize fried chicken was an option until I was checking the online menu one day.

Deak's is the second business to occupy the building; the first bar had a bad reputation (deserved) and when the current owner took over he cleaned up the place both literally and figuratively.  He didn't have to actually go all Buford Pusser but an article I read a couple of years ago described how he confronted the troublemakers and made it clear that they and their behavior would not be tolerated, and it didn't take long before they were gone.

I walked in at 10:50 on a Saturday thinking that lunch started at 11:00 but learned that on weekends the time changed to 11:30 because breakfast is served.  However, when I asked if the fried chicken dinner was available at lunch the bartender checked with the kitchen staff and found that not only was it available but there was an order that they'd be happy to batter and drop in the fryer right away.  Nice customer service!

The chicken came with side orders of house-cut waffle fries and a crumbly house-made biscuit, and each was very good.  The exceptionally crisp batter had peppery notes that reminded me of Indiana fried chicken and the meat itself was thoroughly cooked and juicy (note the juice breaking through the crust).

Based on previous experience I had no reason to expect mediocre food but I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the chicken was and would absolutely order it again.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                                                    Re:Chicken of the Month Thu, 10/31/13 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                    This is a truly great thread. I love love love fried chicken but find that there are no places here in Austin or the surrounding areas that serves a decent bird. The last absolutely spectacular fried chicken dinner I had was at Amos' in Jax beach. Between the chicken the potatoes and the greens it was pure heaven. Thanx SC.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Chicken of the Month Fri, 11/22/13 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                                      While chicken isn't the poultry star of November it still deserves its moment in the spotlight (providing said spotlight is shining on some bubbling oil) so last week Mrs. Chicken and I took a 30-minute drive to the Stagecoach Inn on highway 26 south of Fort Atkinson to see what it might have to offer.  It's tough to tell here but the sign does have neon outlining, although a lot of it's unfortunately not working.

By my estimation there are only about 20 tables give or take, so it's a pretty cozy environment and the lighting's a bit more dim than it appears here.  We were actually in the corner and the kitchen access window was over my right shoulder.

First up was the relish tray.  I'm not sure what the top 2 items were (1 appeared to contain kidney beans), but the 3-bean salad had a tangy, slightly sweet dressing and the corn relish had a good tomato flavor.

The soups were French onion and cream of asparagus, and I chose the former.  It was how I like it: lots of broth and not so many onions it's stew-like.

Instead of salad (it's soup and salad, not soup or salad) I chose a glass of tomato juice, which seems to be an item that some places have dropped from the menu.  I like mine with a dash of pepper on the top.

With Stagecoach's fried chicken the emphasis is on the crust, which was nicely seasoned and crisp enough to break into crumbs without any real effort.  The mild meat was OK but definitely played second fiddle; this is the kind of fried chicken that kids (from 1 to 92) love.

Instead of a baked potato or fries I chose au gratin.  They were pretty good but to be perfectly honest the smoothness of the sauce made it tough for me to tell if they were made completely from scratch; however, I did see boxes of potatoes in the kitchen so I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

Overall dinner was fine and I'd certainly order the chicken again, but it doesn't quite distinguish itself from some of the other versions I've had so if I had a taste for fried chicken there's a chance I'd pick someplace a little closer to home.

Stagecoach is nice to visit during the week as it can get busy on weekends, especially Friday nights.  We were the youngest diners there and the only ones the waitresses didn't know by name, so that gives a pretty good idea of place it is.
                                                      <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Fri, 11/22/13 2:40 PM>

dinein44

• Total Posts: 23
                                                        Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 11/23/13 12:51 AM (permalink)
                                                        Fried chicken my favorite. this will be a fun thread to watch. excellent fried chicken is a lot harder to find.

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                                                          • Location: Lake Forest, IL
                                                          Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 11/23/13 5:30 AM (permalink)
                                                          Love that fried chicken....many, many good places to have and test it...I've heard good things about places in Peru, IL, and the surrounding area, but haven't been there yet to try them yet.  Funny, bought a new car in Peru in April, but didn't try any food places.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                            Re:Chicken of the Month Sat, 11/23/13 9:34 AM (permalink)
                                                            Loving this thread, Brad!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 115

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com