The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these?

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 9:29 AM (permalink)
If you look at Jason Liebig's photostream on Flickr, he has an enormous gallery of vintage fast food paraphernalia - placemats, packaging, etc.  It's actually fascinating. Some of it brings back memories, and the rest is old enough to be alien to me.

To distinguish this from the massive general thread about discontinued fast food items, I am focusing specifically here on ooooold McDonald's stuff.  In looking through Mr. Liebig's photos I found the following items that i'd never even heard of:

Grilled Steak Sandwich / Chopped Beefsteak Sandwich (served after 4 pm)
Onion Nuggets (served from 4-9 pm)
Cheddar Melt
Hula Burger
Pineapple Pie
Chicken Fajitas

And these that I'd heard of but never tried:

McPizza (served after 4 pm)
Arch Deluxe
McLean Deluxe

Any personal testimonies to share regarding any of the above?  I'd link the Flickr page here but I haven't posted enough for that yet apparently.  :)  Easy enough to find with Google, though.

kaszeta

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 11:22 AM (permalink)
    I remember, and have had, all of these except the onion nuggets and Hula burger, which were before my time.

I kind of miss the Chicken Fajitas, actually. 

Other random ones I remember (most of which were test market items or temporary promotions):
    McBLT (not the McDLT, this one was a bacon sandwich)
    McRib Jr (McRib in round form)

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
      Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 12:25 PM (permalink)
      Onion Nuggets seem to be mid-to-late-70s so before my time too.  Apparently the fajitas came out around the same time as their Breakfast Burrito, and that I do remember. Eggs, and sausage, in a tortilla?! Young mind blown.

I'd welcome a McRib Jr... the regular McRib is just too big for my taste.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
        Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 1:56 PM (permalink)
        I've had the hula burger, McLean, Arch Delux which was great and a few not on that list:

Fried chicken sandwich which was offered in Las Vegas in 1980

A few dipping sauces (for McNuggets) that were test marketed in Hawaii in the '80s along with those Hula Burgers.

Bring back fried pies!

kennyb

• Total Posts: 374
          Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 2:29 PM (permalink)
          saw Mcdog and Mcpizza at the same store in Sedalia, Missouri years ago.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 3:14 PM (permalink)
            Yes on the fried pies

(Chanting)
            WE WANT FRIED PIES!!
            WE WANT FRIED PIES!!
            WE WANT FRIED PIES!!
            WE WANT FRIED PIES!!

mar52

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 3:33 PM (permalink)

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1493
                Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 6:58 PM (permalink)
                Yeah...I once tried the Arch Deluxe..........YAWN...but those pies were certainly a nice pick-me-up

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                  Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 7:10 PM (permalink)
                  What's a Hula Burger? 

I'm guessing it was like a Roy Rogers Double R Bar Burger (burger topped with ham) + a pineapple slice & a sweet BBQ sauce. 

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                    Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/15/13 9:43 PM (permalink)
                    We still have breakfast burritos out here in the wild wild West.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                      Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sat, 02/16/13 11:04 AM (permalink)
                      I used to get the McLean because it was the first burger MickeyD sold with recognizable vegetable matter in the form of a tomato (I know ...its a fruit).. It was not awful as I recall...but I now blame that innovation for the grocery store supplies of gorgeous looking red tomatoes that are tasteless and un-ripe. I believe McD would not put a tomato on their burger unless each one was perfect and red ...so someone genetically engineered one and now we're stuck with them...

• Total Posts: 335
                        Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sun, 02/17/13 5:26 PM (permalink)
                        Wikipedia claims that Rolo McFlurrys are only available in Canada.  I seem to recall seeing them available stateside in Nebraska (Nebraska City) last year and Illinois (Sterling, between Rockford and the Quad Cities) in 2011.
                        <message edited by 45013 on Sun, 02/17/13 5:31 PM>

collinf

• Total Posts: 159
                          Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/22/13 2:34 PM (permalink)
                          A Hula Burger, if memory serves, was a slice of grilled pineapple, with a slice of cheese and a slice of ham (I think they must have used the canadian bacon from the McMuffin) on a bun.  Am I missing anything?

I had the McLean and the Arch Deluxe, but not most of those items.  Maybe I tried the McCheddar one time.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                            Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/22/13 2:50 PM (permalink)
                            I was all about the McDLT when that came out. Never tried any of the others listed in the original post though.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
                              Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/22/13 2:59 PM (permalink)
                              Hot side...hot. Cold side...cold.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 02/22/13 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                MetroplexJim

What's a Hula Burger? 

I'm guessing it was like a Roy Rogers Double R Bar Burger (burger topped with ham) + a pineapple slice & a sweet BBQ sauce. 

Nope:
                                http://www.everything2.com/title/Hula+Burger

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
                                  Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 03/1/13 9:16 AM (permalink)
                                  I remember the chopped steakburger sandwich that they offered for a short time back in the 80's - It was on a hoagie type bun w/ sauteed onions if I remember correctly and had a good flavor - I was saddened when they pulled it after only a few months - guess it didn't sell well enough.

mar52

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 03/1/13 2:15 PM (permalink)
                                    At one time (short run) the McDonald's here offered Johnsonville Brats.  Big deal about them being Johnsonville so somewhere in the mix someone was being paid.

kaszeta

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 03/1/13 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                      Yeah, I remember the Johnsonville brats in the late 90s

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17809
                                        Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Fri, 03/1/13 3:37 PM (permalink)
                                        I remember seeing signs for McLobster rolls in Connecticut back about 16 years ago.

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
                                          Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sat, 03/2/13 3:30 AM (permalink)
                                          I remember seeing a 2 hour CNBC program about McDonalds a couple of years ago. They talked about the Hulaburger but the story was a little different. The story told by the official McDonalds Historian (the job actually exists) was that the franchisee in Cincinnati pre Vatican II was loosing so much business on Fridays (Catholics were supposed to be meatless on Fridays year round back then) that he wanted to sell a fish sandwich. Ray Kroc refused to have fish in his restaurants because he was concerned about the smell. It was decided that the Hulaburger consisting of pineapple and slice of cheese would be sold at one location in a Catholic neighborhood and the filet o fish would be sold at another. However sold the most won. The franchisee sold several hundred Filet o Fish but Ray Kroc sold less the ten Hulaburgers.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                            Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sat, 03/2/13 4:29 AM (permalink)
                                            Again, its all about areas-while in Buffalo, New York, they had Johnsonville brats-would never sell in Wisconsin. Down south, McDonalds has biscuit and gravy...its a no brainer, my friends.I do miss the cheddar melt......kinda liked it.

mar52

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sun, 03/3/13 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                              The Angus burgers are soon to be a memory.

collinf

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Mon, 03/11/13 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                                That's too bad.  They are the one type of hamburger I will eat at McDonald's.

michaelcarraher

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sun, 04/21/13 11:47 AM (permalink)
                                                  I remember MikeyD's with an ice cream cone.  It was Vanilla-Chocolate-Strawberry (Neapolitan), hard ice cream, not soft-serve, in a brown sugar cone.  The ice cream went all the way into and down to the bottom of the cone.  The cone was pre-filled with ice cream and wrapped in paper.  All they had to do was take it out of a freezer.  It was really good ice cream.  They kept it really cold, apparently with the idea that by the time you finished your burger and fries it would soften a bit and be ready to eat.  I forget what they called it but I wish they still had it.  I liked it better than the sugar-sludge they sell now. 

CCinNJ

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sun, 04/21/13 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                                    McFeast from the 70s.

It was the first McDonald's sandwich topped with tomatoes.

Wistah

• Total Posts: 205
                                                      Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sun, 04/21/13 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                      CCinNJ

McFeast from the 70s.

It was the first McDonald's sandwich topped with tomatoes.

I assume the McFeast was a burger?  I seem to recall a short-lived burger dubbed the "QLT" that came out after the Quarter Pounder. It was just the Quarter Pounder with lettuce/tomato. I don't recall the McFeast.

CCinNJ

Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Sun, 04/21/13 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                                        Yes.. McFeast was a burger. It was only available in select markets.

Kaiser roll & tomatoes made the McFeast the McFeast.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1269
                                                          • Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                          Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Mon, 04/22/13 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                                          I remember a soft, swirled orange sherbet/sorbet quite a few years back.  It was delicious, seemed quasi-healthy for a dessert, and seemed like a really good call on McDonald's part.  I was very bummed when I found it had been removed from the menu.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                                            • Joined: 11/29/2005
                                                            • Location: South FL
                                                            Re:Ancient McDonald's items - ever have these? Mon, 04/22/13 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                                            The steak sandwich was ca. 77 around here with a two other sandwiches and what appeared to be minced onion rings with some sauces.

Those were a direct response to BK's revamping of their image to separated themselves from McD's kid/McDonland's land image starting in the mid 70's. BK introduced 3 "adult" long bun sandwiches and overhauld their dining rooms with faux wood and artificial plants, swag lighting, upscaled the order girls uniforms, introduced the have it your way campaign and tried to lure dieters with a grilled chicken sandwich and diet 7 up when it was still sacchrine. That was the beginning of the BK Lounge meme trying to portray themselves more as a family restaurant then a silly kid's burger joint. The tables had wells that the trays lowered into in some location. The overall look was very kitschy and plastic wood in hindsight, but appropriate for the times.

I don't remember what the other sandwiches McD's offered besides the steak sandwich. One might have been a fried chicken patty like BK and the other Fish, not shure. They all had lettuce,onion and mayo on them, but no tomato. They got into the game a bit later then BK which started the BK lounge conversion several years earlier with the adult sandwiches appearing around '75 IIRC. Miami was BK's home and test market, so maybe what I'm describing may have been limited to here before anywhere else.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com