Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 02/26/13 8:59 PM (permalink)
Yes, you can use either one, I prefer ricotta.  Perhaps its a regional thing?   I'm thinking back over my years, of all the lasagnas I've had, I've always assumed it was made with ricotta and never could tell the difference or question the difference.

I am eating Paneer lately, what a wonderful white cheese!!!!!  It cooks wonderfully in a curry sauce.  That might be fine for a lasagna too!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/27/13 7:21 AM (permalink)
    Sounds good, fab!I find ricotta dry, so mix in cottage cheese for wetness.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
      Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/27/13 1:50 PM (permalink)
      I grew up with using Ricotta, my mom made a great lasagna using Ricotta. I am wondering where the idea of using Ricotta came from, they don't use it in Lasagna in Italy. I think the Italians feel the Ricotta makes the Lasagna to heavy. When they make it in Italy, they use a Bechamel sauce, this cream sauce when baked in the lasagna makes it lite and airy. If you ever try it use the Bechamel sauce are you would Ricotta cheese. I'm not saying it's better, I'm just saying thats the way they do it. If I were to make the Lasagna with Bechamel sauce, I would also use a fresh Mozzarella cheese.........................

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6212
        Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/27/13 6:29 PM (permalink)
        Time to fess up.  My great-grandmother came from Piedmont, Italy, near the Swiss border as did my grandmother and grandfather.  They never made lasagne, my mother never made lasagne and I never made lasagne.  I never tasted it until I went to college and I didn't like it.  I still don't like it.  But I would have to agree with pnwchef that it is made with Bechamel in Italy and I would probably prefer it that way, even though I do like ricotta.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
          Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Mon, 04/1/13 12:54 AM (permalink)
          Seems like using cottage cheese is a very common thing here in Wisconisn for some reason. I have used both and like both.

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
            Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 04/21/13 10:21 AM (permalink)
            pnwchef

We goat some goats this yr, I plan on breeding them this month, should have a few Kids the first of Aug. I plan on making fresh Ricotta and Mozzarella cheese, I'm wondering how the Lasagna will taste with the Goat flavor. I have them in a good quality pasture, so I'm hoping for the best. The cheese will be from our Goats, the gnd beef is from our cows, the Italian sausage will be from our pigs. The Roma tomatoes and Basil & garlic are from our garden.  I think we just about have the whole Lasagna coming from the farm...............pnwc

Bill I am not commenting on this line buddy its a 'G' rated show!!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
              Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 04/21/13 10:49 AM (permalink)
              I have made lasagna using béchamel sauce instead of ricotta. I liked it but my family wasn't too keen on it. I'm back to using ricotta for lasagna and saving the béchamel for moussaka and patstitsio.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 04/21/13 12:57 PM (permalink)
                Bechamel with occasional, randomly placed dollops of ricotta.  My way.

Then again I also like sliced meat ball in mine.  Haven't made it in thirty years.  Last time was for a friend's baby shower.  Her son got married a couple of months ago.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                  Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 04/21/13 2:02 PM (permalink)
                  Mar, I also like to use sliced meatballs along with sliced or crumbled Italian sausage too. 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                    Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 04/21/13 2:35 PM (permalink)
                    I forgot about the Italian sausage.  I like getting varied tastes with different bites.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                      Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 04/21/13 4:00 PM (permalink)
                      I've always used sliced meatballs -- never a meat sauce. In fact, I never heard of lasagna being made without them till I moved to Ohio.

annienc

• Total Posts: 1
                        Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Mon, 07/1/13 12:30 PM (permalink)
                        This is my first time commenting, so I hope my comment goes to the right forum.  This is in ref. to Ricotta Cheese vs. Cottage Cheese when making lasagna.  The Mueller's Lasagna Pasta box some 35-40 years ago had a recipe that called for either/or - BUT - whichever you decided to use, you were to add 1 egg, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.  I have to say, in the 35 years I have been making lasagna, I have only used cottage cheese, and everyone seems to love it.  I made 3 pans a few Sundays ago for my local police department, and I'm making another 3 pans this July 4th for another local police division.  They were all asking for my recipe.  I might try the ricotta cheese (just to see the difference), but (for me) I really love the flavor of the cottage cheese. 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                          Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Mon, 07/1/13 12:43 PM (permalink)
                          Welcome to Roadfood annienc. I've always used ricotta, myself, but I've seen here that others use cottage cheese as you do.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                            Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Mon, 07/1/13 1:22 PM (permalink)
                            Annie, Welcome to RF, happy to see you made the move and posted. The only thing you will see different if you use Ricotta is, It's a bit stiffer. If I am using Ricotta, I would have to use more eggs. I have also use cottage 100's of times with no problem at all. when I make the cottage cheese mixture, I use cottage cheese, eggs, granulated garlic, parsley, parm cheese.......... Take care, I think it's great you are taking care of your local Police dept, Great Job..........pnwc

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3551
                              Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Mon, 07/1/13 5:18 PM (permalink)
                              CCinNJ

Rico is a whole other story.

Mother of Mercy! Is this the end of Rico?

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 07/9/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                I used to use ricotta cheese in my lasagna, but after one time it not being available and substituting cottage ccheese, I found cottage cheese more flavorfull.  I just drain it in a fine mesh seive for 30 min and all excess liquid is purged.  Firms up just fine, you can add a beaten egg if you want it firmer.

slaveforpizzaandsushi

• Total Posts: 58
                                  Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 07/23/13 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                  please see other message
                                  <message edited by slaveforpizzaandsushi on Tue, 07/23/13 11:55 AM>

slaveforpizzaandsushi

• Total Posts: 58
                                    Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 07/23/13 11:55 AM (permalink)
                                    Might add a correction here.
                                    First off, ricotta is used in lasagne recipes from Southern Italy. Those in the North region, prefer a Béchamel (Bescimella). It irks because it is a regional preference, not a question of what is authentic.
                                    Cottage cheese was more readily available than ricotta many years ago, so when people say, I am Italian and we used cottage cheese, so that is authentic, we have to realise you use what is available, but not what is traditionally used. This is not meant as a cut towards anyone.

I tend to make my lasagna without ricotta or cottage cheese, more akin to the Northern style, than south.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6070
                                      Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 07/23/13 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                      Even in restaurants in Rome I've had lasagna made with delicious creamy Beschamel sause. Both are "authentic" and traditional in Italy, but I truly doubt any Italian in Italy would use "cottage  cheese". I don't see the less flavorable comment about ricotta...and even with ricotta my Italian mon and Grandma would stir in an egg into the cheese mix, alomg with a little fresh parsley . ...oh and grandma also used chopped up meatballs(and hers were superb)...Mom did also, but also used chpped meat sometimes. Today, I use both..I tend to use whole milk ricotta(Polio) My daughter loves eating it out of the container like cottage cheese> I* think it has a great taste.
                                      <message edited by leethebard on Tue, 07/23/13 12:09 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com