The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

General Contractor Building Concession Trailer????

zmoore

• Total Posts: 6
General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Fri, 02/22/13 12:15 PM (permalink)
Hello everyone, new member first time post. I am investing my savings into a small concession trailer. 6x8 or 6x10. I am keeping it simple with 4 or 5 signature kabobs with the occasional special. Chips and soda. The only cooking apparatus i will need is a charbroiler, which I am thinking 36in. I guess my main question is would it be a good idea to buy an empty trailer and equipment myself and hire a general contractor to build it? By general contractor I mean a handyman that knows how to build a house but not necessarily a food truck.  I cant seem to find a builder that can do it in my price range. $12000 is my max. I am not handy enough to do it myself. If not a good idea, any good builders out there? I have a floor plan for a 6x8 that would be perfect. Thanks Zach

a.mckenna

• Total Posts: 53
    Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Fri, 02/22/13 1:26 PM (permalink)
    Buy me a plain ticket and I will come down and build you one, I was in Asheville a couple years ago and loved the place.

That or find someone competent in basic electric, plumbing, and gas systems and you might get lucky.

zmoore

Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Fri, 02/22/13 3:14 PM (permalink)
      I wish mckenna. Yeah Asheville is a very cool town. I am about an hour and a half from there. Yeah I am figuring that if i find a good rated contractor that is slow they should be able to handle the job. 

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2245
        Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Fri, 02/22/13 4:08 PM (permalink)
        Welcome zmoore, see if there is a High School Tri Tech center in your area. This is offered to High School kids to learn different trades. They have courses in Carpentry, Electrical, and so on. They do offer services to people, at a lower cost to offer training to the students. I am selling  some kitchen items to a guy that is having a trailer build by them.............Check it out, they may offer it in your city.................Welcome to Roadfood..........Best of luck.............pnwc

a.mckenna

Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Fri, 02/22/13 6:40 PM (permalink)
          Hey zmoore, send me a email at alice.mckenna1 at gmail dot com. I can't message people on here yet, haven't been registered long enough.

Names Alice by the way.

zmoore

Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Fri, 02/22/13 6:41 PM (permalink)
            Great idea ill look into that pnwchef. Just got a quote back from a place in florida for $29000!!!! I could buy exactly what i want for $18000 already built. These companies really jack up the price. 

zmoore

Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Fri, 02/22/13 6:46 PM (permalink)
              Ok Alice, my name is Zach. Email on the way. 

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
                Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Sat, 02/23/13 11:46 AM (permalink)
                Zack, your budget might be a bit skinny unless you can find some very used equipment.

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
                  Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Sat, 02/23/13 10:02 PM (permalink)
                  6x8? Stand on a sheet of plywood and try serving,You'll wish for bigger.You can buy a good used already outfitted trailer for 3-10k.
                  with almost any trailer you need a 3bay sink a handwash sink,storage and hood with maybe ansel.and put all that on a piece of plywood. JM2C

a.mckenna

Re:General Contractor Building Concession Trailer???? Sun, 02/24/13 12:18 AM (permalink)
                    daddywoofdawg

6x8? Stand on a sheet of plywood and try serving,You'll wish for bigger.You can buy a good used already outfitted trailer for 3-10k.
                    with almost any trailer you need a 3bay sink a handwash sink,storage and hood with maybe ansel.and put all that on a piece of plywood. JM2C

Oddly enough I built a cart a while ago from a trailer a guy brought me, was about 6' by 9' with 6' ceiling height. Thanks to it being a Portland OR build I was able to get away with a lot of stuff but in the end it had:

Rear and side service windows
                    Mini 4 burner range with oven
                    Commercial single door prep top fridge
                    Large toaster oven
                    10CF domestic fridge/freezer
                    Single basket counter top fryer
                    Small 3 comp sink
                    Separate hand sink
                    36" domestic grade hood fan
                    Enough room to prep and serve a full menu (he had about 12 items)
                    2 people worked comfortably in it

Just sayin, with the right person designing the cart, anything is possible.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com