Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sending food back and asking for something else

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 71 of 71
ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Fri, 03/15/13 7:21 PM (permalink)
Couchman, thats why my husband never sends food back. He has seen too many of those shows.However, those people that defile food are not people that take cook responsibilities seriously. They arent chefs, they are cooks. Big difference. And in Wisconsin, there was one that was sent to prison-wont re visit the situation but it was sick. There is a fine line, and no one, ever, should mess with someone's food.if someone continually comes in a restaurant and returns food, thats a problem. I experienced that. But if on occasion a customer doesnt like the food-get over it. I, myself, never return food. I just dont go back.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
    Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 03/17/13 10:35 AM (permalink)
    Ces, this thread could go on for 10 or more pages but the bottom line is that despite all your comparisons and justifications, no one has agreed with your dining theory.
    At some point, one person probably will and then you can sit back and exhale, knowing that you've been correct all along.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
      Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 03/17/13 10:53 AM (permalink)
      I've tried to let this thread die but someone keeps resurrecting it. I have changed my viewpoint on this situation. Apparently most all think whether I enjoy the taste of the food is irrelevant and for some reason that I still don't understand make the transaction between food service and customer different from most other retail transactions in that customer satisfaction has little or no place in the argument.
      It is however too risky to return food and ask for a replacement based on the fact that some scumbag in the kitchen might do something nasty to the replacement dish. In addition I do not want to cost the restaurant extra by preparing another meal and only getting paid for one. So I guess I have three choices left.
      1. Eat meal I don't like, pay anyway.
      2. Not eat meal I don't like, pay anyway.
      3. Not eat meal I don't like and ask them to take it off the bill and I'll go elsewhere.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
        Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 03/17/13 11:25 AM (permalink)
        It is a different transaction.

Taste (like humor) is subjective. If you went to see a movie that was reviewed as very funny...but you found it not funny at all...you either leave before the movie is over...or watch the movie. The ticket is not going to refunded. You won't be entitled to another movie...upon voicing dissatisfaction.

If you have a situation that requires you to be very careful...do a great deal of homework on where to eat (that can be a fun thing to do)..before you choose a restaurant. You're @ Roadfood already...and there's a section devoted to where to eat... the "where should I eat?" section.

Read Yelp reviews of potential restaurants you are considering. Many times restaurants will take it upon themselves to offer...when they take it upon themselves to offer. That's at the discretion of the restaurant. That's something often mentioned in Yelp reviews.
        <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 03/17/13 11:48 AM>

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
          Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 03/17/13 12:26 PM (permalink)
          I have friends in theater management and also do Disney related projects in area theaters . According to them they do get requests for refunds both after the first few minutes and in some cases after the movie is over. Either a refund or a pass for a future movie is given.
          <message edited by ces1948 on Sun, 03/17/13 12:28 PM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
            Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 03/17/13 12:40 PM (permalink)
            There are a great deal of people that ask for a refund for anything/everything. Just for that reason alone...if you believe you are in a situation to be careful...you should do anything/everything before selecting a place to eat.

There's no way to create a dishes that would be a hit for everyone. You can be at the same table with several people that have the same dish. Too spicy for me!.Not spicy enough! Perfect!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 03/17/13 12:46 PM (permalink)
              I am beginning to think its our society. People want refunds for everything. I had a guest that wanted me to refund her pizza because the cheese slid off the pizza I made( while cutting it) So now I slide the cheese back on, with gloved hands, of course.I actually had her watch me, so she saw how it happened. Once food passes the counter, it is illegal to re-serve it. In the garbage.......
              <message edited by ann peeples on Sun, 03/24/13 7:41 PM>

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 03/24/13 4:42 PM (permalink)
                CCinNJ

Taste (like humor) is subjective. If you went to see a movie that was reviewed as very funny...but you found it not funny at all...you either leave before the movie is over...or watch the movie. The ticket is not going to refunded. You won't be entitled to another movie...upon voicing dissatisfaction.

Actually, especially as the real money in movies is the concessions, managers tend to be VERY liberal about giving refunds for those who walk out on the movie early. In my 55 odd years, I've walked out on a movie maybe 3 or 4 times, always with good reason, and always getting my admission money back. Still, it was the equivalent of reasons I would send back food, like something technically wrong (like unintelligible sound) to something that was both offensive and unexpected (such as a Japanese person might have found with Mickey Rooney's performance in Breakfast at Tiffany's). Certainly I would not ask for my money back for something that, while offensive, would be expected (such as the violence in a slasher flick being too explicit).

However, note that this sort of thing is good reason to send back food in a restaurant; if the food was incorrectly prepared , or was not as advertised (such as containing a major flavoring agent not mentioned or even implied in the description).

I said it before, and I'll say it again: If you are not sure of the food, ask for a taste. If the food is as described and properly prepared, but you just don't like it, tell the waiter and ask him or her to send something else, and if they bill you for both dishes, pay the bill; a lot of the time they won't, as long as you don't try to pick a fight.

Bart

Relentless

• Total Posts: 150
                  Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Fri, 04/26/13 10:46 AM (permalink)
                  RC51Mike

ces1948

Well perhaps I should just send it back and ask them to take it off the bill  and go elsewhere rather then ask for a replacement meal.  Maybe that's better for their bottom line. Serve one meal get paid zero or serve 2 meals get paid for one.  Somewhere my bottom line as a paying customer has to be addressed.

Do whatever you want but the overwhelming consensus here (looks like 100% to me) and by your own admission from some previous forum is that you are unequivacally, dead wrong in your thinking.  Social convention, accepted practice, restaurant experience, politeness and manners all point to not returning food just because you don't like it.  Period.  No, your bottom line does not always get addressed.  Because a restaurant makes a meatloaf with carrots or a particular filler does not mean the restaurant has to incur the loss.  Sometimes when you dine out you will be relatively disappointed.  Everyone who dines out, except you, knows this. 

Well said. I will not hesitate to send something back if something is wrong with it. If I just don't like it...I won't order it again, but would never expect someone else to pay for it...which is what the OP's attitude amounts to IMO.

As a vendor I have to say that it is rare for a customer to return food...and have never, to my knowledge, had anyone attempt to return something simply because they didn't like it. Emphasis on attempt

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                    Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Sun, 04/28/13 9:56 PM (permalink)
                    When I go to a restaurant there is a high probability I will get a meal that I don't like...or is OK or just edible. If I have a bad meal and as relentless notes above, has nothing "wrong" with it, it is noted as an experience that I will try to avoid in the future. I have never returned a meal because I didn't like it. If its under cooked, over cooked or spoiled...it goes back....If its just bad , I clearly picked the wrong item or restaurant...my bad.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                      Re:Sending food back and asking for something else Tue, 05/7/13 5:24 PM (permalink)
                      I may have posted this before, I had a guy want to send his Sprite back because it was too cold. I was right there, I took the Sprite walked back to the Kitchen, waited 2 seconds came out handed it to him and said, try this one, he sipped it and said, this is much better!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                        Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 71 of 71

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com