The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows)

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Tue, 03/5/13 3:17 PM (permalink)
Just picked up a pack of these at my local Fairway Market. Who makes their dogs for them? I've never been to Papaya King and was just wondering.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
    Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Tue, 03/5/13 3:41 PM (permalink)
    Marathon Enterprises, who makes Sabrett.

agnesrob

Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Tue, 03/5/13 4:22 PM (permalink)
      I had a feeling. One day this week we will have a feast of these and Thuman's for dinner. I have a container of Custard Stand hotdog sauce to try along with my old standbys, sauerkraut, relish and mustard. I have been enjoying the Tony Packo's HD sauce so I am eager to try the Custard Stand one. My local Kings supermarket now also has Windmill hotdogs, a little early this year (I think also made by Sabrett). They are quite expensive (although I think worth it, I love them!) but I will wait until it is closer to Spring or Summer. 
      <message edited by agnesrob on Tue, 03/5/13 4:28 PM>

DownNeckBetty

• Total Posts: 6
        Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 3:32 AM (permalink)
        Try MistaDales Spicy Slaw on your dogs.  Google his site and you can buy it mail order.  I like it much better than Tony Packo's.  If your ever in the Lancaster PA. area, pick up some pepper hash.  It is also very good on hot dogs.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
          Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 5:41 AM (permalink)
          Agnesrob,
                            Just coming across this thread. These dogs are indeed made by Marathon Enterprises, parent company of Sabrett. There are 2 recipes; an all beef and a beef/pork. I've gone into detail in the past about companies (Papaya King included) claiming a special recipe frank. It's not true. I've spoken to distributors, employees, and the person in charge of private label. Franks are made in varying sizes and either skinless or natural casing, but there are just 2 recipes.

The beef/pork franks are used by the Windmill, Hot Grill, a place in Carlstadt, N.J. (the name escapes me) and several other places. The beef franks are used by Papaya King, Gray's, Katzs, and the pushcart vendors in NYC although not everyone with a Sabrett umbrella is serving Sabretts.

agnesrob

Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 2:03 PM (permalink)
            Thanks for that info! After cooking and eating the Papaya King dogs I knew they were Sabrett's, just thinner and shorter. As I've said before, a beef/pork combo is usually my favorite. Thuman's, Karl Ehmer's and Kocher's are some of my favorites.
            I do like Windmill (made by Sabrett) but the size is daunting compared to the buns I usually buy. I love to grill them along with burgers. I notice a lot of people don't even try to put them on a bun but use a for and knife or just pick them up when cool enough.
            My husband recently bought a deep fryer for us to use. (I try to use it as little as possible). John, which dog that I can buy for home would be good to use for deep frying?
            I also want to thank you for making me feel a little less weird. Recently at work the subject of hotdogs came up and I started spouting information about all beef as opposed to a German style beef/pork dog and then about whether or not what brands were maybe a 6 to 1 or an 8 or 10 to one and then saw the strange looks on peoples faces, I thought of you and all you know about this subject and felt sorry for my coworkers who probably never will. Anyhow, I guess they think I am weirder than they even guessed but I definitely know a good dog when I have one!! Those who don't know miss out I guess!
            <message edited by agnesrob on Sun, 03/17/13 3:04 PM>

John Fox

Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 3:53 PM (permalink)
              I agree! And people who know me think I need serious help. I've found that any dog you like is good for deep frying but the Thumann's dog made especially for deep frying is best. Unfoortunately they are not available in stores. Places like Rutts Hut get them from distributors. What I would suggest (and what I do) is to find a pizzeria or sub shop that uses Thumann's meats. Ask the owner to order a bag of these special franks The distributor drops off the order in his truck once or twice a week. Then just pay the owner.

John Fox

Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 3:56 PM (permalink)
                By the way, I looked up the plant # that was in your picture. It's for the Sabrett factory on east 138th Street in the Bronx. Same recipe as Sabrett.

Meatguy

• Total Posts: 2
                  Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 4:36 PM (permalink)

In case you ever want to see who makes a meat or poultry item (poultry starts with a p) you can look it up here

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                    Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 5:22 PM (permalink)
                    I spend a fair amount of time in the Lancaster / Harrisburg area as part of my work and can vouch for the pepperhash theory. Of course, my experience in this regard goes back to Lennys in northeast Philadelphia in the 60s

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                      Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 6:33 PM (permalink)
                      chicagostyledog

Marathon Enterprises, who makes Sabrett.
                      See..that right there scares me a little. I like the fact (and am lucky)  that I have access to locally made hotdogs, the owners of which are known in the community and are proud of the quality of their products. Buying a hot dog made by a sub contractor of a subsidiary of a branch Globo Meat Mega Works, LLC does not thrill me. I'm not saying these dogs are bad or suspect by any means. Its my personal preference to stay local and/or research what I'm buying..

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                        Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Sun, 03/17/13 7:33 PM (permalink)
                        Sabrett is a local (for us) private family-owned company. They certainly do care about their quality and the quality of the products they supply.That's why they are so successful.

http://m.nypost.com/p/new...PCsqDhX131ZvM5nHDObiqL

agnesrob

Re:Question for John Fox (or anyone else that knows) Mon, 03/18/13 7:19 PM (permalink)
                          Yes, CC the family is very local to me and I do like Sabrett's dog although they are not my favorite, they are of good quality. Thanks for posting that!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com