The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes

buffetbuster

Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Tue, 03/5/13 5:53 PM (permalink)
Sad news from the Strip District.  After almost 100 years, Benkovitz Seafood closed today. 

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Tue, 03/5/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
    Oh, no....sorry to hear that...
    That's not good.

In the 5 years I lived in Pittsburgh I never made it to Benkovitz since I could never get past
    Wholey's amazing Fish Sandwich....

I recall going to the PNC Park (or maybe it was Three Rivers?) location and was underwhelmed but chocked that up to not being at the original location.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6232
      Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Tue, 03/5/13 6:04 PM (permalink)
      Boo hoo.   I ate many fish sandwiches there.  The first time I took Michael to the Strip we couldn't get close to Wholey's so we went to Benkovitz.  That's a shame.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
        Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Tue, 03/5/13 6:33 PM (permalink)
        Damn! I had my first Western Pennsylvania fish sandwich there. That's a shame.

buffetbuster

Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Wed, 03/6/13 8:48 AM (permalink)
          It has been a few years since my last visit to Benkovitz.  Not that there was anything wrong with the place at all, but with Wholey's and their great fish sandwiches just being a short walk away, it was an easy choice of where to go. 

Benkovitz had been reviewed on this site until the family sold it in 2007.  I visited a few times right after the new owners took over and the food was still good.  I had no idea that the business started in the Hill District.  

Very sorry to see the place close. 

blue heaven

• Total Posts: 488
            Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Wed, 03/6/13 10:11 AM (permalink)
            Oh no!  I loved that place.  Is that Oyster House still open downtown??

buffetbuster

Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Wed, 03/6/13 10:14 AM (permalink)
              blue heaven-
              The Original Oyster House is still going strong!  We ate there just about a month ago.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6232
                Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Wed, 03/6/13 10:51 AM (permalink)
                I agree that Wholey's has a better fish sandwich.  That first time, there was NO parking anywhere near the place, not even the free lot across the street.  I knew Benkovitz had their own parking lot so it was easier on Michael with his hip/walking problems to go there. 

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
                  Re:Benkovitz Seafood in Pittsburgh closes Wed, 03/6/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
                  I too was saddened to hear about Benkovitz closing their retail operations so suddenly and without notice. They had sold their wholesale fish business, Nordic Fisheries several years ago to Pittsburgh Seafoods. I went there on Ash Wednesday and the place was crowded. Another Pittsburgh institution for a future Rick Sebak show on "Places that aren't there Anymore".

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com