The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice...

Girlsgonethrift@yahoo.com

• Total Posts: 6
New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Tue, 03/5/13 7:27 PM (permalink)
  Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading and following it for a long time, this will be my first post. Well, I finally got my truck after looking for a long time, and we just started cleaning it out and removing the old shelves they had on the inside, but then we hit a snag. This truck has these cross bars that we didn't think were a big deal until we tried to take them down. My experience in truck automotive is very limited, and these bars look sorta like support beams so I just wanna make sure its ok for me to take these down before I go removing them. Also if it is ok to take them down, how in the world do I remove them when the nuts or whatever these are holing them in are round. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Curb Hopper

• Total Posts: 86
    Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Tue, 03/5/13 11:38 PM (permalink)
    WOW. I'd take that somewhere...an industrial type shop? Good luck, wish I had direction to offer.

a.mckenna

• Total Posts: 53
      Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Wed, 03/6/13 12:30 AM (permalink)
      1 part place to hang things, 1 part support. Done a truck with bars similar, think it was a laundering truck, they used the bars for the obvious use of hanging crap tons of uniforms.

Buy a angle grinder at home depot, find some metal cut off discs, find some glasses, try not to die.

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
        Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Wed, 03/6/13 4:17 AM (permalink)
        Those look like rivets,check the outside where they are and you should see a head if so they are.and then get a 4" grinder and a few cutoff wheels for it,safety glasses(you'll want your eyes later),and a face shield metal splinters hurt!

Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Wed, 03/6/13 8:05 AM (permalink)
          Thanks a bunch for everyone's advice, I am on my way to home depot right now lets hope they come off and i still have both eyes in tact lol ill keep everyone updated in case someone else comes across this issue.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Wed, 03/6/13 8:25 AM (permalink)
            Do NOT cut those off on the outside of your truck body. They are only thru the interior ribs. Cut/grind off the inside only. When you cut off the round head you'll hear the other end fall off inside the channel ...interior rib. They are not a support item for your truck so don't worry about that. But do be careful and don't let the grinder get away from you.

a.mckenna

• Total Posts: 53
              Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Wed, 03/6/13 11:01 AM (permalink)
              Thanks for catching it before I did BBQ. Like he said, they are just through the wall stud. Have another person hold the bar up when your cutting if you haven't worked with a angle grinder before. I just one hand angle grinder things, but I got the scars to prove I have been doing this a while.

Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Fri, 03/8/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
                Well it was a complete success! I got the grinder and those things came off and I was finished in a hour. Thanks for everyone's help, I will keep you updated on my progress and hopefully will be able to help someone the way you guys helped me.

hella good tacos

• Total Posts: 112
                  Re:New Truck Build Chevy P30 need some advice... Wed, 03/20/13 10:45 AM (permalink)
                  With smaller rivets i use a drill to take them out, if you can't get a good handle on the grinder you may have a tough time with them.  work slowly!

Try a drill that has a good amount of torque, get some bits that will handle metal- a hair bigger than the rivet, and drill them out. Start slowly to get a starting pint where your bit is slipping then get at it.

you can start with a smaller bit to cut into it a bit and have a starting point.

All my rivet removal i have done with drills, i am not that skilled with the grinder and find it can get squirrely or i end up cutting something i didn't want to.  Especially in a tight space like what you are working in.

best of luck

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com