The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Disney in April

jrs155

• Total Posts: 7
Disney in April Tue, 03/5/13 9:19 PM (permalink)
The family will be in Disney for our spring break and are looking for places in the area.  Wife and I and our six year old triplrets who are pretty adventurous eaters.
Thanks

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4485
    Re:Disney in April Wed, 03/6/13 1:23 AM (permalink)
    Not many good eats inside Disney World (Orlando), and I haven't eaten outside yet, but here's what I know

In The Magic Kingdom park, the best meal available are the fairly excellent hot dogs at Caseys at the end of Main Street.  The Dole Whip in Adventureland is also fairly good for a snack or a treat

In The Hollywood Studios park, the bakery called Starring Rolls Cafe was pretty good, everything else was meh at best

In the Epcot park, Le Cellier is top notch.  Very hard to get a reservation.  if you do, get the mushroom filet mignon regardless of what might seem a better choice.  This is expensive but well worth it

In the Animal Kingdom park, the only decent meal we had was at the Yak and Yeti - the counter service part, not the sit down restaurant.  Typical americhinese dishes - fried rice/eggrolls/etc - but fairly good and (for disney) not revoltingly expensive

The only other place we ate outside that parks per se that I really liked was Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney

My girls (ages 5 and 6 at the time) *loved* the Princess Breakfast in the Castle at the center of the Magic Kingdom, but this is very expensive and very hard to get a reservation for.  The food was meh, but they were over the top happy with the experience

Edit: good point Ed.  All of the above are in reference to DisneyWorld @ Orlando
    <message edited by TJ Jackson on Thu, 03/7/13 11:33 AM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
      Re:Disney in April Wed, 03/6/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
      which Disney will you be in, SoCal or Orlando?

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
        Re:Disney in April Wed, 03/6/13 12:19 PM (permalink)
        if it's Disney World, Flame Tree BBQ is located on Discovery Island in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park. Bar none the best BBQ and meal there is in any park in any part of Disney. If your going to Disneyland, a good restaurant hasn't been build yet, I'm still waiting.........we have been there 7 or 8 times and still haven't found one..............have a great time............BBQ will be a great meal with six year old triplets, there is a bathroom real close to hose them off after the meal.................have fun...........pnwc

ALL GOOD

• Total Posts: 58
          Re:Disney in April Wed, 03/6/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
          The best meal we had at Disney World was at the Liberty Tree Tavern.  But, no matter where we ate, we were on the Disney Dining Plan, and we got an appetizer, entree, and dessert....didn't matter where we went, it all started to taste the same... can you say "centralized purchasing".  .  .  The chocolate cake was the same piece everywhere.  My daughter was of mac and cheese age at the time (2006), and got the same exact portion, same exact taste every restaurant we went to.  Even the steaks were the same everywhere.  I think the only way to avoid that conundrum is to go to one of the higher, higher end restaurants that you need to reserve a table at....

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
            Re:Disney in April Wed, 03/6/13 1:05 PM (permalink)
            If you're going to WDW during spring break & don't already have reservations at any sit down restaurants on property, it's probably too late to make them at anything approaching normal meal times.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
              Re:Disney in April Wed, 03/6/13 1:31 PM (permalink)
              jrs155

The family will be in Disney for our spring break and are looking for places in the area.  Wife and I and our six year old triplrets who are pretty adventurous eaters.
              Thanks

Having lived between Tampa and Lakeland for 20 years, with lots of northern relatives, I've done Disney over and over and over again. I wouldn't count on anything inside the Magic Kingdom for anything other than fending off starvation. If you find something edible, you'll pay through the nose for it. If you venture into Orlando, Yellow Dog Eats in Windemere is really great, it's reviewed here. 

Willy's Wieners in Kissimmee, good dogs and such, root beer floats!!
              Breakfast, Rodeo Diner in Kissimmee

Timothy Glutton

• Total Posts: 3
                Re:Disney in April Thu, 03/7/13 7:57 AM (permalink)
                Boma buffet at Animal Kingdom Lodge. In general, better dining at hotels than inside parks.

TG

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                  Re:Disney in April Thu, 03/7/13 10:03 AM (permalink)
                  Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ - near Universal @ SW corner of kirkman & Conroy: http://bubbalous.com/ .  They do a variety of "styles" very decently; very family friendly; never had a bad meal there.
                  <message edited by MetroplexJim on Thu, 03/7/13 10:05 AM>

jorenmathew

• Total Posts: 28
                    Re:Disney in April Thu, 04/25/13 8:11 AM (permalink)
                    Wow, good to know about Disney came in April. But, Where or when. ? I am very curious to know about details.
                    I am waiting for Disney.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4485
                      Re:Disney in April Thu, 04/25/13 8:48 AM (permalink)
                      So JRS155 - how did it go?

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
                        Re:Disney in April Thu, 04/25/13 10:08 AM (permalink)
                        Most of the buffets at Disney world are good...expensive, but if you go for a late lunch,you're good for the day. CrystaL pALACE IS WORTH THE GOURMET BREAD ALONE. I disagree with many here who put down the food....the buffets serve good food. I agree with Liberty Tree Tavern as good.  California Grill at the top Of the Contemporary has been highly rated by Orlando publications....expensive, but classy.
                            We just came back from Disneyland. Now food here is not good.
                             Most publications(ie Unofficial Disneyland) rated Blue Bayou in New Orleans Square as the BEST food We scored cancellation reservations and boy do we agree. First, lot's of Atmosphere. Made to look like eating outside on the Bayou(even Disney made fireflies and trees with Spanish Moss.Dimly lit, you feel your eating under the stars. Mt Family still talks about it....and the food. Their Gumbo is super and my wife loved her Citrus Salmon.....I loved the Jambalaya. Highly recommended for a class experience. Ask for a waterside table, and wait for it,if you must. The Boats from Pirates of the Carribean float lazily by.
                          http://video.search.yahoo...r=fptb-swat02&tt=b
                          Above is a You-tube video about the place...called the most beautiful restaurant at Disney. Give it a look.
                        <message edited by leethebard on Thu, 04/25/13 10:19 AM>

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                          Re:Disney in April Thu, 04/25/13 10:22 AM (permalink)
                          Hello jrs155, there was a thread about this a few years ago and I posted a Trip Report of my week there with my family in late March/early April of 2010.  
                          Here it is:  http://www.roadfood.com/F...gh=orlando&mpage=1
                          Have fun at the House of Mouse!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com