The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

North Jersey Chicken Wings and More

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
North Jersey Chicken Wings and More Thu, 03/7/13 12:46 PM (permalink)
I took a short drive (34 minutes according to my GPS) to Buffalo's Chicken Shack in Wood-Ridge for lunch last week, acting on a tip from CC in NJ (actually her son) on a prior thread I can't seem to find right now.

What's with New Jersey and hyphenated town names anyway??

Simple storefront operation with maybe 6 tables inside, very clean looking, run by a husband-wife (I think) team. Man, there were dam good wings! I'd say in the Top 5 wings I have had in NJ. I got an order of 12 garlic very large parmesan wings, fries and a soda, which came to about $16. The food was cooked to order, but the wait was only about 10 minutes. I ate about 6 of the wings and a few of the fries. I would go back, and I wish it were closer. I also hope they stay in business. I was there at about 12:30 on a Thursday and was the only customer the whole time, except one lady came in to pick up an order just as I was leaving.

So thanks, CC and your son!
http://buffaloschicken.com/the_menu_and_online_ordering

Stop Two: Never being content to just go to one place if I am out for the day, I took a drive about 15 minutes further north to the Korean Chicken Joint, Peck Peck Chicken, in Teaneck. I don't think they have a website, but here's what Yelp has to say:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/peck-peck-korean-style-chicken-teaneck-2

I called ahead and ordered a dozen soy-garlic wings and an order of thier steak fries. Ready when I got there. It's a really bare bones mostly take out operation, just a couple of cramped tables, so I took my order to nearby Overpeck Park (very nice for a walk after). If I hadn't already had those terrrific wings from Buffalo's, I would have given Peck Pecks maybe a B+, but I was spoiled for the day, so I gave Peck Peck a B. They were very good, but not great. Thier fries, on the other hand, did beat Buffalo's, nice and crispy and seemed to be fresly cut (not sure about Buffalo's). I also got a side cup of something called Boku sauce, which was well, different, very soy-ish when I dipped a couple of fries.

OK, Stop Three (not chicken related):

Never being content to make just two stops when I'm out for a food day, I made a stop more-or-less on the way home at Clemente's Bakey in South Hackensack. I had not been there for over 10 years, and since then it has gone from a small bakery that specializes in Foccaccia (the best in NJ IMHO), to a full scale take out/eat in tratorria/deli. The foccacia now seems to be an afterthought, but I was able to snag the last two, at about 1:30. Still the best in NJ, I forgot how really good these are. I believe they also supply the foccaccia to some other del's and supermarkets in North Jersey (I've seen them at Corrado's, but not every time).

http://www.computerdoctorswebsitedesign.com/Clemente-Italian-Deli/index.html

A good day of eating, which was repeated by my wife and I for dinner with what was left over. I'm glad to say Buffalo's wings didn't miss a beat on reheating.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
    Re:North Jersey Chicken Wings and More Thu, 03/7/13 4:05 PM (permalink)
    Ken, Nice report! I may have to do this in reverse!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7748
      Re:North Jersey Chicken Wings and More Thu, 03/7/13 8:24 PM (permalink)
      You're quite welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed Buffalo's Chicken Shack. They are great people and worth the ride. They do re-heat without missing a beat.

I don't eat chicken wings (I request Ribs & Waffles very delicious! )...but my little chicken wing is having a Birthday next week and I bought him tickets to King of the Wing @ Bowlmor Lanes...

http://iadventure.com/eve...st/king-of-the-wing-ii

I believe the hyphens are to avoid confusion in the postal system. Woodbridge & Wood-Ridge. <<<Hoboken>>> & Ho-Ho-Kus.

It's a great day when you can say you had Peck Peck in Overpeck Park!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
        Re:North Jersey Chicken Wings and More Fri, 03/8/13 10:37 PM (permalink)
        <<It's a great day when you can say you had Peck Peck in Overpeck Park!

LOL. I like to think I have a way with words and puns, but you got me there! Never crossed my mind. Nice.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com