The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!!

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Fri, 03/8/13 4:45 PM (permalink)

Pipers Pub on East Carson Street on the Southside of Pittsburgh will be opening an authentic English Fish and Chips Shop next month (finally after years of waiting!!!!)

See the attached article for all the details. They even will put the fish and chips in paper cones!

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/life/dining/pub-chip-shop-will-open-tuesday-in-april-678230/

Kenny Joe

• Total Posts: 193
    Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Wed, 11/6/13 9:19 PM (permalink)
    It has been a long time coming, but the folks at Piper's Pub have finally got the Pub Chip Shop open. Very interesting menu; this is not just a fish and chip joint. I hope they are up to the challenge of turning out good food from many different cuisines.  http://thepubchipshop.com/

JuanKerr

• Total Posts: 20
      Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 12/24/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
      Kenny Joe

It has been a long time coming, but the folks at Piper's Pub have finally got the Pub Chip Shop open. Very interesting menu; this is not just a fish and chip joint. I hope they are up to the challenge of turning out good food from many different cuisines. 

And it's pretty good. I've been three times now, and they're learning well from a strong starting point. I tried a few things during the soft opening and my only negative impressions were the fact that they seemed to cook everything in the same oil (causing the fries and other items to all taste like seafood) and the prices. On subsequent visits the oil situation appears to have been solved, and they've tweaked the pricing a little too.

To be honest the prices only seem high to me because I'm used to $3 pies and $1 sausage rolls back in the UK. As they have no competition in Pittsburgh for the baked savories, I can hardly complain. They do, of course, have competition on the fish, but reducing the price by a buck works as it's a) Haddock, which is unusual and b) is as good as any other piece of fish I've found in Pittsburgh outside of Lent.  The chips are decent; aping the size and shape of a genuine British chippie's output without resorting to the sogginess associated with it. The pies I've tried (Scotch, Steak and Ale, Chicken Curry) have been very good; a little on the dry side but that gives you an excuse to order some of their excellent gravy. The Pierogi Pasty worked surprisingly well and the desserts will come to no surprise to anyone who has eaten inside Piper's.

Next visit will be to try their (newly introduced) pork pie. This will be a tricky test as everyone else trying to do them in the US (aside from English Pork Pie Company in Buffalo) seems to think stuffing pork sausagemeat inside a pie crust is the way to make them; it is not.

buffetbuster

Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 12/24/13 7:47 PM (permalink)
        Excellent post JuanKerr! Thanks so much for the info and descriptions. I really need to try this place.

Kenny Joe

• Total Posts: 193
          Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 12/24/13 9:56 PM (permalink)
          I have visited the Chip Shop twice. On my first visit, I was hoping to find that the "doner" on the menu approximated the excellent döners I have had in Germany.  I was hoping for too much. You might enjoy their version of the doner, but it is nothing like what you would find in Germany. The second visit I had fish and chips which I liked but never having had that dish in an English pub, cannot vouch for its authenticity. 

buffetbuster

Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 03/25/14 10:56 AM (permalink)
            The Chip Shop received a good review in the Trib.  I really need to get to this place.....

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
              Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 03/25/14 11:16 AM (permalink)
              Outside of the plethora of fish-and chip shops on the Barbican in Plymouth just can't seem to get decent fish and chips in Texas.

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 03/25/14 12:39 PM (permalink)
                brisketboy

Outside of the plethora of fish-and chip shops on the Barbican in Plymouth just can't seem to get decent fish and chips in Texas.
                Perhaps not bona fide Roadfood, but iluvcfood has recommended Red Robin, which I'd think would be in Austin.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=772789

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                  Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 03/25/14 1:25 PM (permalink)
                  Darn it, they closed about six months ago.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9551
                    Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 03/25/14 1:32 PM (permalink)
                    What kind of Fish do they use?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6227
                      Re:REAL Fish and Chips coming to Pittsburgh!!!! Tue, 03/25/14 2:00 PM (permalink)
                      When we're in the Burgh, we head straight to Wholey's when we want fish.  I get the fish (cod) sandwich, throw away the bun and a lot of times can't eat all the fish.  But it's sooooooooooooo good!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com