The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013

Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 151 to 157 of 157
ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 07/1/13 9:51 PM (permalink)
Whitewater

Our final stop of the day was Saxe's Lone Star Inn, just west of Whitewater off of US-12.

Supper club protocol dictates a stop at the bar before dinner, especially if not all members of the party are present.  And for those of you unfamiliar with them, supper clubs aren't the most brightly-lit places.

Saxe's serves a nice brandy old-fashioned.  CNW got sidetracked so we had to have 2 while waiting.

It's not a big place but there was plenty of room for us.

I can't decide if this reminds me more of Norman Rockwell or George Orwell.

OK, enough of the people shots...let's eat!  Dinner started with several relish dishes; the scallions have already disappeared from this one.

Even though it was a warm June day MilwFoodLovers chose the chili.  I'll let him describe it but I remember him saying that it was very different but also good.

I went the traditional Saturday night soup: French onion topped with cheese and heated under the broiler.  This was very different than any other FOS I've had as the texture was very much like applesauce, which was a real surprise.  But the flavor was very good and I'd definitely order it again.

Bowls of slaw were also placed on the table, but I don't know if they were part of the walleye dinners that some ordered or if they're standard operating procedure for any dinner.

Entree time!  Some locals sitting at the bar had recommended the walleye; this is Buddy's plate.

But fish is Friday food and this was Saturday, and Saturday means prime rib and hash browns!

The beef was excellent; it had a nice crust that featured rosemary.

You knew this was coming.

Some bakery stops had been made earlier in the day and those purchases came out for dessert.

Saxe's turned out to be a great end to a great day.  None of the stops were disappointing (kudos to JRPfeff and family for the excellent choices), it seemed like everyone had a good time, and anybody who says he or she went home hungry is a liar.  Unfortunately some people weren't able to join us so hopefully we'll see them the next time...Fred's in August, maybe?
<message edited by ScreamingChicken on Mon, 07/1/13 9:53 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
    Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 07/1/13 10:39 PM (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    I can't decide if this reminds me more of Norman Rockwell or George Orwell.

Salvador Dali, maybe?
    ScreamingChicken
    ....Unfortunately some people weren't able to join us so hopefully we'll see them the next time...Fred's in August, maybe?
    I was just thinking about Fred's the other day.  How does Saturday, August 17th look for everyone?

Buddy

P.S. Great photos, BTW.  Thanks for a wonderful job of documenting the tour!

B.
    <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Mon, 07/1/13 10:41 PM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
      Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Tue, 07/2/13 7:41 AM (permalink)
      The photo looks like something from The Godfather, Don Buddy Corleone.

Saxes was a great choice. Big thanks to Buddy for the suggestion.

Even the owner was amazed that we found it. They were very happy to have our business, even with 60 minutes notice. Great to eat there while places like Saxes still exist.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
        Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Tue, 07/2/13 7:00 PM (permalink)
        By the way, at least one of these Prime Rib dinners had Ann Peeples name on it.  It was really, really good.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Wed, 07/3/13 7:01 AM (permalink)
          I knew it!! Fabulous looking meat-done perfectly! Great trip to follow from afar, my friends!

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 603
            Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 07/5/13 4:22 PM (permalink)
            I was really sorry to miss this gathering- 
            It just ended up being one of those days.
            I love the inclusion of the half-slice of spiced apple ring on those prime rib dinners
            so classic!
            Great photos!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
              Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Wed, 08/14/13 1:44 AM (permalink)
              Sorry I'm just now getting to this. I was a little, um...tied up...

Lots of great choices on this trip. Wish I hadn't been so full at the end of the day, but them's the breaks.

I can definitely see a Watertown Tour Part 2: Electric Boogaloo in our futures.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 151 to 157 of 157

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com