The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL.

chickenplucker

• Total Posts: 160
Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Sun, 03/24/13 5:17 PM (permalink)
My son and I had the opportunity to visit Miss Myra's recently and were glad we did. We were there early on
Monday night so we had the place to ourselves to start. I had the half chicken dinner and he had pulled pork. Both of use were well pleased with dinner but dessert is where Miss Myra's really excelled. The banana pudding has been touted on Roadfood quite a bit and it didnt dissapoint. We will be back for sure.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Sun, 03/24/13 7:17 PM (permalink)
    Looks like a meal worthy of a big smile and, a happy tummy.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Sun, 03/24/13 7:18 PM (permalink)
      Yum!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Sun, 03/24/13 7:27 PM (permalink)
        chickenplucker

Glad to hear you made it to Miss Myra's. I first discovered the place through Heartbreaksoup's blog "Marie let's eat" ....

chickenplucker

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Sun, 03/24/13 7:46 PM (permalink)
          Thanks WJ for the blog link. He has a section on Buford Highway in Atlanta that is very interesting. Its roughly a 10 mile stretch of restaurants from almost every continent and country. Miss Myra's was a great experience fpr us.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
            Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Sun, 03/24/13 8:00 PM (permalink)
            I am VERY jealous.  We were supposed to meet wanderingjew and Sandra at Miss Myra's in February on the way to Mobile.  Due to an obscene amount of traffic we were not able to make it.  One of these days!! 

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
              Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Mon, 03/25/13 9:06 AM (permalink)
              That half chicken looks mighty good!

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
                Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Mon, 03/25/13 12:30 PM (permalink)
                I used to eat there all the time when it was called Rountree's Hickory Pit. Same family; back then there was a little pie shop around the back called Rollin In Dough and even then the pie lady put out some of the best desserts in Birmingham.

The chicken and pork ribs are both world beaters and the white BBQ sauce is some of the best I ever ate.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                  Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Mon, 03/25/13 3:25 PM (permalink)
                  I'm glad you like the Buford Highway section on my blog, chickenplucker.  I've got another BuHi post going up tomorrow, and I'm visiting two more restaurants with friends in the next couple of weeks.  If you like Buford Highway restaurants, you'll definitely want to check out spatialdrift.com - they have started on the southern end of the street and have worked their way north, hitting every single non-chain restaurant on it.

As for Miss Myra's, I'm glad one of you got deviled eggs as a side!  You never see those as a side in Georgia BBQ places, but lots of Alabama restaurants offer them.  And I think that Myra's white sauce is among the best that I've found anywhere.

chickenplucker

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Mon, 03/25/13 5:35 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks Heartbreaksoup. Going to start exploring Buford Highway very soon. I also hear whisperings of a Taco Trail in the Roswell area....

buffetbuster

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Mon, 03/25/13 8:46 PM (permalink)
                      After that excellent banana pudding wanderingjew brought with hime to Mobile during Glee Club, I am a believer.  It will be on the top of the list next time in Birmingham.  Thanks for the report!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                        Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Tue, 03/26/13 11:15 AM (permalink)
                        Seriously great looking Q!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Tue, 03/26/13 9:15 PM (permalink)
                          I wish more places would offer Deviled Eggs as a side dish with their 'Que'.  I am a real fan of good Deviled Eggs !

ann peeples

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 03/27/13 8:47 AM (permalink)
                            Me too, Al.!

scrumptiouschef

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 03/27/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
                              Y'all are about to freak out. I've corresponded with Emily Osburne, granddaughter of the founder of Rountree's (Ms. Myra's) and she agreed to allow the Alabama white bbq sauce recipe from her grandpa's restaurant to be published!

http://chowpapi.com/wordp...rountrees-hickory-pit/

chickenplucker

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 03/27/13 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                Freak out in progress!!!! Gonna make some as soon as I get off the road.

Sundancer7

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 03/27/13 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                  I have only had white BBQ sauce once in Alabama.  As I recall, it was OK but not great.  Recipe seems simple enough.

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN

ann peeples

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 03/27/13 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                    Poverty Pete and I talked about the white sauce, as it isnt something at all that I would be interested in trying.He said it is good on chicken. Now that i might try.

chickenplucker

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 03/27/13 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                      Having tried it for the first time last week I have to say that it is much better suited to chicken than pork or beef for me. I will drag my chicken through most any sauce dressing or condiment but I'm strange that way. LOL

hft39465

• Total Posts: 12
                                        Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 03/27/13 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                        I agree that it does look good, and I too will have to add it to my Birmingham List.
                                        I also agree about the white sauce, tried it at Bob Gibson's last week. It's not my cup of tea either. It was ok on chicken but nasty on everything else.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                                          Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Thu, 03/28/13 6:12 AM (permalink)
                                          Done right, a good white sauce is just as good on pork as chicken.  Miss Myra's is done right.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Sat, 03/30/13 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                            also, please be aware, per correspondence with Emily Osburne, that the recipe above may not be identical to the one currently being used.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Tue, 04/16/13 3:38 PM (permalink)
                                              anybody get a chance to make the above recipe?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
                                                Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Tue, 04/16/13 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                                The recipe looks a lot like plain 'ol cole slaw dressing.  I'm sure it's much better than that, especially on the smoked chicken.  I'm not making it.  Hopefully we'll get down to Bham, the traffic will cooperate and we'll get the real thing at Miss Myra's.

chickenplucker

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 04/17/13 5:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  So I made the sauce according to the recipe. Lighting the coals shortly and have the hickory chips soaking. Using boneless/skinless breast which are brining now. I will let you know later....

chickenplucker

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Wed, 04/17/13 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                                    It turned out well in my opinion. The wife wasnt all that crazy about it since she likes sweet molasses type BBQ sauces but she ate it nonetheless. To me it taste VERY close to the sauce I tried at Miss Myra's. Almost impossible to judge since it was a while back. The recipe turned out a little thin for my taste. You can see that in my photo. It works really well to me on grilled chicken. The vinegar and pepper really stand out. Will I make it again? Probably when I want something different,maybe not everytime I grill.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Fri, 04/19/13 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                                      Mouth is now watering, and yes, it's supposed to be a very thin sauce

scrumptiouschef

Re:Miss Myra's BBQ Pit. Birmingham AL. Thu, 08/8/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                                        chickenplucker

So I made the sauce according to the recipe. Lighting the coals shortly and have the hickory chips soaking. Using boneless/skinless breast which are brining now. I will let you know later....

Andrew Zimmern just released a list of his all time favorite BBQ joints and Miss Myra's was near the top.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com