The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake!

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 333
Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 4:55 PM (permalink)
While I must admit to a fondness for the Frisco Melt, I don't often eat there but the folks in Cali will soon be able to get their fill of steak burgers and a finestkind milk shake. Now, if we could only get them to trade us an In and Out here in Indiana we'd be even.

http://www.insidesocal.co...ng-to-the-high-desert/

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
    Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 5:11 PM (permalink)
    The Steak & Shake we had here didn't manage to stay open all that long. I wasn't too impressed by their food. The orange shake was awesome.

100% agree with you about In & Out.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
      Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
      I have a Steak and Shake about a mile from my house but we never go there. I must admit that the Jalapeno Crunch has been tempting. 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
        Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 5:29 PM (permalink)
        Not close enough to try. 

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3306
          Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 7:18 PM (permalink)
          They're my go-to stop when I'm coming home from work after midnight. It's been ages since I've been inside, but I know their sit-down menu is different from the drive-through (pretty much the only food you get drive-through is burgers and fries). Best shakes I can get around here, including at the independent ice cream places. Burgers are decent, better than other FF options. What I like is they have almost nothing pre-made, so while that means you have to wait a few minutes for your food, you know it's fresh. And did I mention the shakes? They're the only FF place I've ever seen that still makes them using ice cream instead of bagged frozen slurry. And they'll do pretty much any flavour combination you want.

And hey...a few years ago, they were featured on the front page here, so apparently the powers that be think they're worth it.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 7:48 PM (permalink)
            I vote with the Frisco Melt, although it has been a couple of years since we visited the local S & S. No reason for not going..just haven't done it. We have several in the area.

BTW- Adelanto is known as the New Jersey of the High Desert Area. Rumor has circulated for years of it being a dumping ground for bodies from the various L A Gang violence.  Former home of George AFB (closed in the early 90's) it has always been the low-rent, lower-economic level community West of towns like Hesperia, Victorville, and Apple Valley.  I am kind of surprised that they would build a S & S out there...as opposed to the more 'Yuppiedom" communities.  S & S are not 'budget' burgers...They aren't Ruby-Tuesday...but they aren't White Castle's either. 
            <message edited by mayor al on Sun, 03/31/13 7:56 PM>

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
              Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 8:10 PM (permalink)
              I didn't know they were expanding at all. I haven't seen a new one being built in years. The two in my area though seem to stay pretty busy and I always enjoy my burger and shake from there.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 8:19 PM (permalink)
                The SnS Signature does very well...in Midtown Manhattan. Same prices as the rest of the country...which is very very rare.

http://mobile.aht.serious...ke-opens-tomorrow.html

I should show the long line my license so they'll let me by...for a Strawnilla shake...or else.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                  Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Sun, 03/31/13 8:32 PM (permalink)
                  I some times work the 2nd shift (4pm - midnight) not too far from the Manhattan location and it is pretty tasty and I was shocked at the low prices, especially for THAT neighborhood (it's located right next to the Ed Sullivan Theater where The Late Show with David Letterman is taped)!  Fries are super thin and while I enjoy them, I'm not bowled over.  Love the Frisco Melt!  Beefy and oniony on buttery crisp toast.  Those shakes are quite good but I can't indulge in them too often, being a "desk jockey" during those hours, it would all just sit there and I'd have no chance to work it off! 

cementhead

• Total Posts: 120
                    Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Fri, 04/5/13 6:45 PM (permalink)
                    Steak and Shake is a favorite with my family when traveling. There is none near us in eastern Pa. My large family can eat pretty cheap there especially if we hit happy hour. Half price shakes and soda from 2-4. AM or PM.

Ackman

• Total Posts: 35
                      Re:Southern California Getting Its First Steak And Shake! Fri, 08/9/13 1:31 PM (permalink)
                      Love Steak N' Shake. I put their pepper sauce on everything. The baked beans are good. Best to go after midnight when many adult beverages have been consumed.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com