Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Thu, 04/4/13 8:35 PM (permalink)
http://news.yahoo.com/por...renames-200036934.html

Why can't they just leave things alone.

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
    Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Thu, 04/4/13 9:29 PM (permalink)
    A good thing actually.  Takes the guess work out of this and clears up names like London Broil, or Pot roast.  Much less confusion and gets people to know where on a carcass the cut comes from.
    Will list 3 different lines of information on the label, including recommended cooking technique.
    http://www.meattrack.com/urmis/common-names/
    The site above has more info, but its about time something like this is standardized.  

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
      Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Thu, 04/4/13 10:51 PM (permalink)
      I saw that in my butcher's case last week.  I thought he was just being creative.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Fri, 04/5/13 5:44 AM (permalink)
        Baloney, Rod. I know my meat..now i have to relearn. Let the younger people LEARN. I agree with my friend CK.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
          Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Fri, 04/5/13 6:49 AM (permalink)
          I can see both sides.  I can hardly wait to start telling friends and family about the "new" cuts of meat they are being served.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
            Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Fri, 04/5/13 9:05 AM (permalink)
            Will restaurants be changing their menus to reflect this?  If they don't it seems that things might get more confusing, not less.

I think that people who've been buying meat for any length of time can identify a lot of cuts by sight so the new names might not matter a whole lot.  The packages of assorted pork chops I buy will still be labeled "assorted pork chops".

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
              Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Fri, 04/5/13 9:40 AM (permalink)
              The only thing I can see it maybe helping is sometimes I will watch an episode of America's Test Kitchen and see a recipe i want to make.  But when i go to a local store and look for the same cut of beef I can't find it because it is called something else here.  Though I've never had that problem with pork.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Fri, 04/5/13 10:12 AM (permalink)
                hatteras04

The only thing I can see it maybe helping is sometimes I will watch an episode of America's Test Kitchen and see a recipe i want to make.  But when i go to a local store and look for the same cut of beef I can't find it because it is called something else here.
                I've had good luck with Cook's Thesaurus when it comes to regional naming conventions, and I'm sure there are other similar sites as well.  Sites that will hopefully get updated when the new names are released into circulation...

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                  Re:Good Bye Pork Chops and Boston Butts - Arrrgh Mon, 04/8/13 7:40 PM (permalink)
                  While I understand an interest in some type of consistency, my main concern is that I typically cook with recipes, and this will create problems with a whole lot of cookbooks and recipes that I and many others have collected for years--recipes that list specific cuts of meat that will now be in the stores as something like Denver steak or similar useless names???  WTH?  That doesn't seem to solve the problem they were going after.  But I'm just a bag of wind here...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com