Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3962
2013/04/18 12:11:51 (permalink)

Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why?

Well, as many of you know, I have had a new addition to my family. Hamish is a 1 1/2 year old Scottish Terrier. As you also know, I also like to eat out at lots of different place. I decided to make a list of places people can go to eat at and bring their dogs along. Not the places that let you tie the dog outside while you eat, but places where they do one or more of several things to make the dog and their people feel welcome.Good people food also is a serious plus!
So here's what I am looking for :
  • What places have fenced in patios where you can eat with the dog next to you
  • What places supply bowls of water for your dog
  • What places sell you treats for your dog
  • What places give you treats to keep your dog happy while you eat
  • What places have actual dog menus where you can ordercut up chicken, kibble etc.
  • What places allow you to bring the dog inside the restaurant while you are dining
  • What places have a dog "relief" area outside or nearby
  • What places sell their own baked or store-made dog treats to go
  • what is the quality of the "people" food; i.e. is it a place you would go to even if you didn't have a dog?
  • What type of "people" food do they specialize in?
  • Are there any exceptional place you have been to where they really go out of their way to accomodate your dog?
Any places in your area or on your travels that you have encountered would be great.I'm going to try to compile a list so any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed and Hamish

post edited by EdSails - 2013/04/18 12:48:21

31 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 12:47:03 (permalink)
    Congratulations!

Those eyes say "I want an Italian sandwich!"...

Here's a list of the most dog-friendly cities. <<<Hoboken>>> tops the list. Woohoo!

Pack your bags...Sparky!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 12:48:21 (permalink)
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1376
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 12:50:00 (permalink)
    Congrats!!  Carmel!  It's a nice drive up the coast from you and is extremely dog friendly.  The main reason for that is the influence of Doris Day, who made this area her home and launched the Doris Day Animal League to support humane treatment of animals.  So, there are many dog friendly restaurants, hotels, and shops, and the Carmel State Beach at the bottom of the hill is leash free!  It's so much fun for dogs and their owners.  If you decide to come up, send me a PM and I'll see if I can schedule a visit at the same time.  
    Here's a picture of my dog looking happy and wild after romping at the beach there.  Surprisingly, all that sand just fell out when he dried off.

The only place I know of that allows dogs indoors is Carmel Belle, which is located inside a small shopping mall.  They have some very good food, too.
    LOL - CC!!  Perfect interpretation of his thoughts.
    post edited by love2bake - 2013/04/18 12:56:30
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 13:02:58 (permalink)
    This is because my eyes are saying the same thing...right now.

Puppies are also welcome for a cocktail...

http://www.hmag.com/2012/...endly-bars-of-hoboken/

I could use one of those...as well.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 13:42:39 (permalink)
    Ed, the Starling Diner in Long Beach that I reviewed a few weeks ago has tables and bowls of water outside.  Very Puppy Friendly.

Here are my food motivated girls:

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 13:58:01 (permalink)
    love2bake
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 14:47:02 (permalink)
    Ohhh Mar -- you have your hands full!   Not that you needed ME to tell you that.  What a bundle of fun and mischief...

CC - those dogs at the bar are hiliarous!  We should make up some dog drinks.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2372
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 15:04:35 (permalink)
    I knew this site was going to the dogs..........I was going to say any drive through, but, I know Ed eats all his food............just picking a restaurant out of the air, I would say the back ally of Chubby's BBQ in Maryland......just a guess..............The best to you and the new addition.............Bill
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 456
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 15:12:23 (permalink)
    I KNOW that Dog Lovers adore and appreciate their pets of that which I can understand (I personally cant stand dogs but that's just how I am) but for gawds sake........  IF you know you are going to be going out to eat somewhere leave your dogs at home!   They have NO business being anywhere near where other non dog owners are eating and I for one will refuse to eat anywhere near a place that serves food and dogs are around!  
    Even my Son who has a Pit and loves it more then anything else has enough sense not to drag it with him when he is going out to eat!

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 15:43:54 (permalink)
    My nephew Willy would like to say something...

Thanks for listening!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10212
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 22:07:54 (permalink)
    Realizing that I'll be incurring the rath of dog lovers everywhere-----DOGS DON'T BELONG IN RESTAURANTS----PERIOD!
    Dogs are dogs----they're not people. And while I agree some dogs are nicer than some people, especially those who let their unruly kids run all over the restaurant screaming----- dogs STILL do not belong in Restaurants.
    Dog Lovers--- other people don't give a rats butt about your dog as much as you do. Get over it.
    Dogs are not entitled to eat in restaurants---They're dogs.
    Do what you want with your dogs at home but don't think you can subject the rest of us to have to endure you fondling over your dogs in public places like festivals, outdoor concerts and other places where PEOPLE congregate, like restaurants.
    It frosts my butt when I see people who think they need to show off their very expensive mutt to satisify their egos and that they have a rare Mongolian Muscrat Long Haired 3 Eyed Boxer just to let people know they can waste more money than I do. 
    I enjoy watching the Westminister Kennel Show like anyone else, but that's where dogs belong, not in restaurants. Love on your dogs someplace else, THANK YOU!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 22:19:03 (permalink)
    <<<Hoboken>>> pups also have their own truck for treats...

http://hoboken411.com/archives/83133
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/18 22:43:40 (permalink)

I couldnt have said it any better!!!!!! 
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 00:13:56 (permalink)
    Don't worry...Willy would eat the mail before he ate Papa John's pizza.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 09:07:24 (permalink)
    I don't have a dog but noticed few when we stayed at the Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg WV. The staff seemed to really like their canine guests and I thought that if I had a dog, this would be a good place to stay. Here's their pet policy.

http://theblennerhassett....el/pet-friendly-rooms/

brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1100
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 12:33:07 (permalink)
    In response to the objection of dogs in eateries. If it bothers you, don't go. Doesn't seem to bother the municipal health department so what's your problem. Don't like the movie? Change the channel. Geez, everybody wants to tell you how to live your life.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1004
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 12:57:46 (permalink)
    I wouldn't eat in a dog-friendly restaurant either (and generally stay away from family friendly restaurants), but that's the thing... I can always go somewhere else. I have very little patience for dogs and children, so why stress myself out?
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 14:14:37 (permalink)
    From seeing the looks of Willy it looks like he has eaten not only the mail but everything else in sight!  
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 14:23:23 (permalink)
    That's all muscle!

C'mon...lunch with Willy is fun. His head is like lumpy mashed potatoes...

iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 14:48:42 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

That's all muscle!

C'mon...lunch with Willy is fun. His head is like lumpy mashed potatoes...

Sorry CC.........  I am NOT a dog lover at all!

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 14:59:57 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will look at it in more detail later. And as for those of you who tried to derail the topic into an "I hate dogs in.....". No one is forcing you to go to a restaurant that allows dogs. It's nice to have an outing with your dog and to be able to share time together. Most places that allow dogs do so because they genuinely welcome them. And if you look at the really smart ones, they sell dog treats and even "dinners". A great way to make extra profit.
    All I was looking for was places that went out of their way to accommodate dog lovers. Not a treatise on why dogs should not be allowed any place.
    post edited by EdSails - 2013/04/21 00:34:37
    love2bake
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/19 15:29:53 (permalink)
    LOL, CC! 

Enjoy your new buddy, Ed, and if you come up the coast, let me know!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/21 00:28:59 (permalink)
    love2bake

LOL, CC! 

Enjoy your new buddy, Ed, and if you come up the coast, let me know!

Thanks, love2bake and if you make it down south we can do some food hopping here.I do know a few places!

I'm just a little shocked at some of the people here. First, as brisketboy and SeamusD said, if you don't like that a place that allows dogs, DON'T GO! First of all there aren't that many, and if the owner wants to do it and can do it legally and to the satisfaction of the local Heath Department, it is their choice. Secondly----and this is important---NO ONE ever said dogs have to be allowed in restaurants. That certainly wasn't in my original post. If the restaurant chooses to do it, it's their choice. I think it's neat that some places do, but most don't. I certainly would not be in favor of dogs in most of the places I go to. For that matter, I'm not in favor of kids in some places that I go to. Any of you that don't want a dog in the restaurant you are going to, it's easy---don't go. And if you are really worried about it, call the restaurant first. I would wager that no more than 5% of all the restaurants go out of their way to accommodate dogs and they usually build it in as part of their theme. A person pretty much knows before they walk into Chuck E. Cheese that if they don't like kids it is probably not the place to go. By the same token, if a place is called the Lazy Dog Cafe, you might just want to check and see what their policy is. And if you don't like that they accommodate dogs on the patio, find a different place to go!

Now can we get back to the only reason I started that thread-----to let any interested RF'ers know what restaurants in any areas will do to accommodate dogs. A simple and to the point question. This thread was supposed to be about nothing else. If you don't like dogs and are not interested in the reason this was started, I hope you will exercise your option to not read it.
    post edited by EdSails - 2013/04/21 00:32:01
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10212
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/21 04:10:14 (permalink)
    brisketboy
    In response to the objection of dogs in eateries. If it bothers you, don't go. Doesn't seem to bother the municipal health department so what's your problem. Don't like the movie? Change the channel. Geez, everybody wants to tell you how to live your life.

Do you realize what you just said is so contradictory?
    If bringing your dog into a restaurant bothers other people, YOU'RE the one who shouldn't try to impose your life-styles on others.
    I've had dogs.
    I would never even think to bring my dogs into a restaurant out of consideration for others who might object to it.
    It's called being courteous and considerate.
    Most people today don't understand the meaning of those words anymore.
    They're all about themselves, to hell with others.
    And don't bring your dog over to my house to watch a movie and tell me I can't change the channel because that's the movie YOUR dog wants to watch because he's entitled to go anywhere and do what ever he, (OR his owner), wants! 

post edited by Foodbme - 2013/04/21 04:15:40
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 420
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/21 08:24:12 (permalink)
    Congrats on your new family member, Ed.  Hamish is adorable!  I have a dog too, but I wouldn't take her to a restaurant no matter how dog-friendly.....because she is just not well-behaved enough and I know it!  She is not bad or mean, just overly friendly and VERY excited about people and other animals.  She would be all over the place.  (However, this works for her at the dog park where she is the unofficial "Walmart" greeter.)  But I don't object to calm and well-behaved canines in a restaurant setting.  It is the dog owner's responsibility to choose places that are appropriate for their dog(s) and for the animal's personality/training/discipline level.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/21 15:19:29 (permalink)
    mar52

Ed, the Starling Diner in Long Beach that I reviewed a few weeks ago has tables and bowls of water outside.  Very Puppy Friendly.

Here are my food motivated girls:

It's funny you mention the Starling Diner, Marlene. I went there a few times for lunch after they opened when I lived in LB. I thought they were rather snotty but the food was good. They are not far from the Marina Park walking trail so I'll have to check them out again.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/21 16:38:06 (permalink)
    Ed, maybe they changed their ways.  I've eaten there several times now (my foot doctor is in Long Beach) and we felt like we were helped by the owner each time even though the server was different each time.

For the naysayers... 
    Having tables and bowls of water outside does not mean dogs are allowed inside.  When you eat outside you are in all of the elements. 

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/22 15:09:05 (permalink)
    "Tank" enjoying his chicken dinner last night at the Lazy Dog Cafe in Irvine.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Where should my dog eat; Or what dog-friendly restaurants can you recommend and why? 2013/04/22 15:14:06 (permalink)
    Tank and another doggie guest conversing at the Lazy Dog Cafe in Irvine.

BTW, Tank says" Hey Willy, you my long lost cousin?"

post edited by EdSails - 2013/04/22 15:31:05
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1