The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Ice cream trike - could I make one?

djdawg

• Total Posts: 439
Ice cream trike - could I make one? Thu, 04/18/13 11:22 PM (permalink)
Hey everyone...sorry if this is off topic for this forum...I don't think there is a specific ice cream trike forum - ha ha - so I'll take my chances.  And I know there is quite a bit of crossover for some of us doing lemonade from our carts, etc so maybe this will be ok...

I'm seeing these ice cream trikes online and I see simple ones that are basically a cargo (?) trike that have a plywood insulated box for the treats (with dry ice of course) to fancy shmancy ones that have solar powered freezers on board.  I'm wondering how tough it would be to build the insulated freezer box (that part sounds the easiest)....I'm not sure about the trike frame part.  I'm not even sure if they sell trike frames with that section where you would put the freezer box into empty....all I can come up with are pre-made ice cream trikes.  I really just want the trike and I could build the compartment and attach it myself....

At any rate....not sure if anyone has delved into this yet at all but thought I would check!  Thanks!

BpCBlake

• Total Posts: 436
    Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Fri, 04/19/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
    you can make what ever you like.
    I know of some coffee bikes. hot coffee where ever you go. I think they are called BikeCafe. and only around 35 grand too. I wouldnt mind a ice cream scooter myself thou.

AstroDog

• Total Posts: 10
      Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Fri, 04/19/13 11:59 AM (permalink)
      Hey dj. I'm actually in the process of building one of these myself. Mines a regular trike with the two wheels in the back though.
      I built a wooden box and put the 2 inch thick foam insulation sheet from Home Depot in it, put in a 12 volt pizza bag warmer, and it stays well over 140 degrees inside.
      I was planning on setting it up and loading it full of corn dogs, burritos, or boxes of sliced pizza and having people ride them around the neighborhood as delivery bikes. Kinda stopped working on it though.
      Anyway, the bike frames themselves are made by a company called husky. Just look up husky trike, I think. I bought a regular trike rather than the reverse trike just because I'm cheap, though.
      Hope this helps.

SDJunkMan

• Total Posts: 21
        Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Fri, 04/19/13 1:57 PM (permalink)
        I have an old one (60's?) in the back yard.  Picked it up years ago, and was going to restore it.  Never used it, but thought about converting it to a dog cart.  Wouldn't damage the ice cream box, just unbolt it and make a new box for dogs.  The front axel is pretty heavy, box is kind of cool, looks pretty easy to make if you have sheet metal skills.  Will try to get some pics this weekend, it's snowing right now. 

Jeff
        Black Hills of South Dakota

djdawg

Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Sun, 04/21/13 1:15 PM (permalink)
          Thanks guys! So Astro...Are you delivering pizza then? You got me thinking... I really like the icycle tricycles out of Portland but it's more $ then I want to spend right now. I had come to the conclusion that I could get a tune up on my mountain bike, by a trailer assembly, build a freezer box on it...Have everything painted to match, etc. But the trike with the two wheels in back could work too! I'm just wondering if there is enough room between the two rear wheels to build/attach an ice box... I'll run to the store today and see. I'm also wondering if they are only single speeds... I'd prefer at least a three speed. I can't believe we're talking about those old lady huffy trikes! Lol

On a side note...For the construction of an ice box - I believe theb traditional method is a plywood outer box, foam walls inside of that, and metal walls covering the foam? Like sheet metal? Is that still a good design or is there a more modern approach?

sillydogz

• Total Posts: 113
            Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Sun, 04/21/13 1:39 PM (permalink)
            hey dj there's a guy selling conversion kits on ebay. 169.99 for a kit that bolts onto the back of any bike. just search "bicycle trike conversion".

good luck on your new project! 

BpCBlake

• Total Posts: 436
              Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Sun, 04/21/13 2:55 PM (permalink)
              I once saw a ice cream scooter here in vegas.
              they had a bike trailor connect to a scooter with a small freezer on it. and patched in a music box to the whole thing. and just went up and down each street.

djdawg

Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Sun, 04/21/13 4:57 PM (permalink)
                Thanks everyone....I'm learning more as I research this....not as much info out there as there is hot dog cart stuff.  I've learned that one of the biggest makers of the freezer box unit doesn't even cover the inner foam....so I don't think I need to do the metal covering.  Apparantly the foam is closed cell foam or something so I just saved myself a bunch of work and $! 

The more I think about this the more I think the cheaper adult trike (astrodogs idea)  option is the cheapest way to get in on it and see how it might work.  I can easily build a box now knowing all I need is a plywood box and the foam.  If it's successful I could spring for the icycle tricycle next year....

djdawg

Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Sun, 04/21/13 4:57 PM (permalink)
                  Oops.... duplicate...
                  <message edited by djdawg on Mon, 04/22/13 7:00 AM>

djdawg

Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Tue, 04/23/13 9:28 PM (permalink)
                    Well I ordered the bike today....should be here at the end of next week.  After it arrives I'll start working on the ice box!  Yeah baby!

Tristan225

• Total Posts: 350
                      Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Tue, 04/23/13 10:55 PM (permalink)
                      Do they come with a defibrillator?

mikejames533

• Total Posts: 99
                        Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Wed, 04/24/13 3:31 AM (permalink)
                        LMAO

AstroDog

• Total Posts: 10
                          Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Wed, 04/24/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
                          Hey dj, I haven't started serving anything from mine. It's something I began building and haven't had time to finish. Regular job plus hot dog cart doesn't leave much time.
                          Keep in mind that trikes are actually kind of hard to pedal. I was planning on getting an electric motor for the front wheel on mine, just to help. I also love in a city that isn't exactly flat, though.
                          Good luck, lets us know how it turns out!!

djdawg

Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Wed, 04/24/13 10:03 AM (permalink)
                            Thanks Astro... Yeah I think I'll be getting a workout.. Lol. Fortunately most neighborhoods where I'll be going are fairly flat. I'm really going to pimp this thing out! I'll take some pics of the progress as I go along.

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
                              Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Thu, 04/25/13 12:13 AM (permalink)
                              DJ
                              This is not going to screw up your hot dog business? Or, are you giving up on hot dogs

djdawg

Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Thu, 04/25/13 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                No no brick... Right now I'm doing a lot of corporate stuff with the hot dog cart and it's going great! My days get over with dogs pretty quick... Like I'm home by 3pm... that leaves me a lot of daylight left so I thought I might make some more $ while the sun is shining!

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
                                  Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Thu, 04/25/13 12:05 PM (permalink)
                                  djdawg Kevin,
                                  You're no hot dog vendor or caterer. You're what I used to be when I laid brick. A damned work-a-holic!!! Lol. Good for you. I hope you have a family that appreciates you for that. If not, maybe sometime in the future. "Keep on keeping on" man!

djdawg

Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Fri, 04/26/13 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                    Ha...thanks Brick.  Well, I'm....well....between significant others and all my kids are older so it's just me.  Too young for retirement...just trying to make hay while the sun is shining I think. 

island

• Total Posts: 1
                                      Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Thu, 01/23/14 3:46 PM (permalink)
                                      Hey DJ, how did you make out with building the ice box trike? How is business? I'm in the same boat. I want to start an artisan ice cream trike this summer. I already have a pedicab business, and I use Main Street pedicabs. I'm thinking of taking one of my frames and attaching the ice box. Any help you could be would be much appreciated

jcheese

• Total Posts: 740
                                        Re:Ice cream trike - could I make one? Thu, 01/23/14 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                        I think DJ went out of business.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com