The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37
reese77

• Total Posts: 508
1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Fri, 04/19/13 10:03 AM (permalink)
I guess I am at the limit in my original thread, my post were not being saved so starting a continuation thread.

Thanks to Chasendad for printing my vinyl wrap and saving me some money. I started wrapping the truck on days when the pollen was not so high. This is tedious work and not a one man job. If it looks like there are discoloration or chips that is just pollen build up that I have not rinsed off yet.

OurCoffeeTruck

• Total Posts: 53
    Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Fri, 04/19/13 10:42 AM (permalink)
    Wow looks great! We were thinking about going without a wrap for a while because of the budget, and considered just some graphics over a solid base. Some of the quotes we got were around 5,000. How much did just vinyl cost you? Considering you did labor yourself?

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Fri, 04/19/13 10:51 AM (permalink)
      Thanks. I think painting a solid color and just adding die cut pieces of vinyl is a good idea too but a good paint job cost just as much as a wrap.

I paid around 2K for the printed graphics but my truck is smaller than most. Local wrap companies quoted me 3500 to 5K for print + labor.

You can definitely do the labor yourself but practice with some scrap before your start and watch a lot of wrapping videos on youtube first.

***All my post are doubling up for some reason.
      <message edited by reese77 on Fri, 04/19/13 10:52 AM>

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Thu, 04/25/13 12:04 PM (permalink)
        The wrap is coming along.

jeffwllms

• Total Posts: 19
          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Fri, 04/26/13 2:22 PM (permalink)
          reese77

I guess I am at the limit in my original thread, my post were not being saved so starting a continuation thread.

Thanks to Chasendad for printing my vinyl wrap and saving me some money. I started wrapping the truck on days when the pollen was not so high. This is tedious work and not a one man job. If it looks like there are discoloration or chips that is just pollen build up that I have not rinsed off yet.

Looking good

chasendad

• Total Posts: 95
            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Sat, 04/27/13 5:47 PM (permalink)
            The wrap is looking good,

Dgaviolac

• Total Posts: 64
              Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Sat, 04/27/13 7:07 PM (permalink)
              Did you build the mount for the lp tank?

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Sat, 04/27/13 9:48 PM (permalink)
                Thanks guys. Yes, I built the mount.

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 222
                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Sun, 04/28/13 9:33 PM (permalink)
                  Might I ask who printed your wrap and if you had any contact info?  I'm looking to get mine done soon and am, of course, looking to save a buck!

Thanks !!!

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Mon, 04/29/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
                    fishscale28

Might I ask who printed your wrap and if you had any contact info?  I'm looking to get mine done soon and am, of course, looking to save a buck!

Thanks !!!

Contact forum member chasendad, he commented on the wrap above.

fishscale28

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Mon, 04/29/13 10:12 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks!!

MR. FRAZIER

• Total Posts: 15
                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Tue, 04/30/13 10:03 PM (permalink)
                        AWESOME WRAP MY MAN.  YOUR BRAVE FOR DOING IT YOURSELF LOL.

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Tue, 04/30/13 10:39 PM (permalink)
                          MR. FRAZIER

AWESOME WRAP MY MAN.  YOUR BRAVE FOR DOING IT YOURSELF LOL.

Thanks. Trust me, I know that now but I learned that you just have to go slow, take your time and do not over stretch when trying to the align graphics.

chasendad

• Total Posts: 95
                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Fri, 05/24/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
                            Any pictures of the wrap complete??

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Wed, 05/29/13 12:01 PM (permalink)
                              Not complete yet. I have to re-do my awning, I cannot wrap it due to the way I built it. I also had an issue on how I wrapped the driver side where the thick horizontal bar runs down the side of the truck. I pulled the wrap over the bar versus adhering it to the bar and I was going to come back later and use the heat gun to help tuck the wrap around the bar. However, the next day, the wrap pulled away from the bar so I have to work that issue out. Once I get the new all flat awning (no window) complete, I will wrap the serving side and take pictures. The rear of the truck is complete.

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
                                Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Thu, 05/30/13 8:00 AM (permalink)
                                I ended up ripping my flipper door out and going with straight lexan windows, need to make a lock  mechanizm still, but I really had a fear the gas shocks were going to give away and the door was gonna crush someone

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Thu, 05/30/13 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                  THE WILD DOG

I ended up ripping my flipper door out and going with straight lexan windows, need to make a lock  mechanizm still, but I really had a fear the gas shocks were going to give away and the door was gonna crush someone

Even though I will have a sun shade awning installed above the serving window, I still like the security of the flip up window awning. The new one will be aluminum frame versus foam core and still really light either way. My gas shocks can hold up to 100lbs.

THE WILD DOG

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Thu, 05/30/13 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                    i kept blowing out my shocks... i don't know if it was placement or what, but I'll have to post a pic, plus having the truck completely repainted with my original brand WILD DOGS GOURMET HOT DOGS,  another mistake I made with trying to start a differen brand
                                    \

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Sat, 06/1/13 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                      Sorry to hear about the not so successful new brand, are you going to use the same menu as your other unit or going to incorporate new food items, along with your old menu? Or have you made up your mind yet?
                                      jack

THE WILD DOG

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Sat, 06/1/13 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                        Jack, i'm going to start a new thread,  I'll answer it there :-)

Rosatti

• Total Posts: 1
                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Wed, 06/5/13 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                          Your truck looks pretty cool!! I have been reading your blog, and I have to really thank you for share your work. I have been unemployed for the past 2years. I when to school for a degree that it is just hanging in my wall and I am about to rip it apart...But thanks to guys like you I have been considering the food truck business. I have some cash that I have saved, but is not much. Most trucks run pretty high, I assume this is way you are building one. would you be kind to enlighten us about how much difference is it in price to building your own instead of just buying one from someone? I have a big student load that is keeping me form borrowing more that 25k and it would be very devastating to start something without having enough money to finish it. Help please!! Need to find a way to feed my family.

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Wed, 06/5/13 4:29 AM (permalink)
                                            you can find a decent stepvan for around 4 g,another 2 on used appliances,2-4 on a hood setup can be less. wrap around 2g. 2-4 months of work and you could be rolling.

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Wed, 06/5/13 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                              testing

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Wed, 06/5/13 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                                Rosatti,

Your best bet might be a used taco/lunch truck on craigslist. I have seen some sell for around 7K. Do not wrap it if you are on a budget, paint it and just add some decals until you have more money.

fishscale28

• Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
                                                  Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Wed, 06/5/13 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                                  And don't underestimate the costs of whatever tools you need, building supplies, changes you might make, storage (if applicable), accessories, etc.

I had a sweet budget that worked out great...except for everything above.  Always seemed to be something that needed more money, more parts, different tools, etc.

But good luck and reese your certainly an inspiration!!!

reese77

Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Thu, 06/27/13 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    Sorry for the lack of updates but I have been in/out of town on business as usual. I am still searching for a reasonable commissary. I found several reasonable small warehouses that the health department would allow me to convert into a commercial kitchen but they are in the next county over and 25min away.

Ever since I had to remove my old electric water heater per the county requirements, I installed a LP tankless. I ran CSST from my existing gas lines to the new water heater on the other side of the truck. This past weekend I removed the CSST as I read that it is not safe for RVs, etc. due to vibration and I do not want to explode.

I have been trying to find a plumber to come out and put in black pipe but noone is willing and I cannot find the original installer.

I am going to attempt this myself. What pipe thread sealant have you guys used? How have you tested your lines for leaks?

THE WILD DOG

• Location: Hunt Valley, MD
                                                      Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Thu, 06/27/13 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                                      This is easy as pie bro....  use 3/4 inch black iron.  U can use pipe dope or gas tape ( yellow container)  I prefer the dope though.  Just make sure you CRANK down your connections and use unions behind the equipment.. ( it will make your life easier )   You can test it two ways...  Soapy water,  windex, or leak detection ( you can find this at home depot, lowes etc)  or you can call a plumber and have him come check your work...

reese77

• Location: Stockbridge, GA
                                                        Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Thu, 06/27/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks for the input WD. The original plumber installed a 1/2" black pipe line and the black pipe I purchased is all 1/2". I was going to use Rectorseal T plus 2 pipe thread sealant. Is this what you use?

THE WILD DOG

• Location: Hunt Valley, MD
                                                          Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Sun, 06/30/13 6:21 PM (permalink)

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
                                                            • Location: Starkweather, ND
                                                            Re:1993 Chevrolet P30 Build - Continued Mon, 07/1/13 3:57 AM (permalink)
                                                            On my trailer I have a support bar I can place to stop any chance of the shocks giving out and hurting someone.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com