The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Chili Dog Tips

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 36 of 36
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
Re:Chili Dog Tips Sun, 06/9/13 12:07 AM (permalink)
It's a clean transfer process! That's their problem to figure out!

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
    Re:Chili Dog Tips Mon, 06/10/13 12:47 AM (permalink)
    top^dog
    chilli dogs or chilli cheese dogs are suppose to be messy...you can thicken it with a small bag of corn meal/flour if you want

For chili, not corn meal or corn flour: masa harina (limed corn flour used for making tortillas).

Bart

top^dog

• Total Posts: 89
      Re:Chili Dog Tips Mon, 06/10/13 11:59 AM (permalink)
      i use beef/pork nat casing because i steam then grill them.... most beef dogs are without a casing except the sabrett but they are hard to find in connecticut....and the skinless dogs dont grill properly and make a lot of smoke

C2CD

• Total Posts: 189
        Re:Chili Dog Tips Mon, 06/10/13 4:37 PM (permalink)
        top^dog

i use beef/pork nat casing because i steam then grill them.... most beef dogs are without a casing except the sabrett but they are hard to find in connecticut....and the skinless dogs dont grill properly and make a lot of smoke

If you have a Restaurant depot near you they have them, actually they have a couple brands with casing, Vienna Beef, Sabretts, etc...

top^dog

• Total Posts: 89
          Re:Chili Dog Tips Mon, 06/10/13 4:49 PM (permalink)
          no vienna beef that i have ever seen here sometimes the sabretts but not reliable....hummels/boars head/duetchmacher and a few others are the brands around here..much of connecticut especially new haven county are the nat casing pork/beef, some vendors use the skinless nathans or sabretts but they are not of the same quality

C2CD

• Total Posts: 189
            Re:Chili Dog Tips Mon, 06/10/13 5:12 PM (permalink)
            top^dog

no vienna beef that i have ever seen here sometimes the sabretts but not reliable....hummels/boars head/duetchmacher and a few others are the brands around here..much of connecticut especially new haven county are the nat casing pork/beef, some vendors use the skinless nathans or sabretts but they are not of the same quality

Have you ever asked them to order it for you? I know my Restaurant Depot in Charlotte is good about ordering for me if I ask for it, they don't even ask me to pay for it in advance or anything. They just say what is it and how much do you need. I have also found if you have good negotiating skills they will even come down on the price. I sit down with the manager in his office and say things like, I use RD exclusively, and what if I buy 5 or more cases at a time. I even say, look I am coming from 2 hrs away can I call ahead and pay over the phone and they have it boxed up and my order is ready to go when I get there I started doing that a couple of months ago, now granted they don't advertise this service but the more you talk and the more you ask, the more you will get from them. I just learned of Kings Hawaiian from another thread on here and asked the manager and it has now been ordered for me. It's like my Grandmother use to say, " A closed mouth never get's fed"! Good luck I hope you get what you need.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 36 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com