The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks?

ROHfan

• Total Posts: 89
Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 11:54 AM (permalink)
Like the title sez. Anyone know where I can find? My deli guy is gonna kick my ass if I bring another big hunk of meat for him to slice for me for Philly steaks. Thanks.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
    Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 12:10 PM (permalink)
    It sounds like your meat supplier doesn't do any cutting, so what about purchasing your own slicer?  You can get a decent home model for under $200 and it's a handy thing to have.

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
      Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 12:58 PM (permalink)
      GFS will probably have it if you live near one, but the only one they keep in stock are those hockey puck breakaway styles. But they have a HUGE catalog that you can order from and pick up at the store in a few days.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
        Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 1:28 PM (permalink)
        Look for Korean markets.  They have really nice thinly sliced ribeyes.

They sell them for grill top cooking but I use them for delicious Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwiches...
        Gangnam Style
        <message edited by mar52 on Tue, 04/23/13 1:31 PM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3541
          Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 1:35 PM (permalink)
          mar52

Look for Korean markets.  They have really nice thinly sliced ribeyes.

They sell them for grill top cooking but I use them for delicious Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwiches...
          Gangnam Style

That was going to be my suggestion too---great minds think alike!
          There is a Korean chain across the country called H-Mart, maybe they have a location near you. There is a Japanese chain called Mitsuwa Marketplace, also a national chain. Also one called Marukai. The ribeye is sliced for shabu shabu, sukiyaki or Korean barbecue. It is what I get when I do cheesesteaks and it is perfect. 

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3541
            Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 3:06 PM (permalink)
            Looks like there are a lot of H-Marts in NY so you may be in luck. Here is this weeks ad:
            H Mart Ad 4/19 to 4/25
            Looks like brisket is the meat on sale but they always have the ribeye too.
            Here is the ad from the H Mart near me
            H Mart Ad Irvine
            If you look at it you will see they have thin sliced ribeye for $4.88/lb.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6091
              Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 5:31 PM (permalink)
              Talk to the head butcher at your Costco, I'm sure they would do it as long as you bought your Rib Eye there, they can freeze it so it's sliceable.

ROHfan

• Total Posts: 89
                Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 9:36 PM (permalink)
                Thanks for all the replies. Going to have to check out H mart.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                  Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Tue, 04/23/13 10:50 PM (permalink)
                  I know Publix in my area sells a thin cut ribeye but it's about 1/4 to 3/8 thick.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                    Re:Source for frozen, thin pre-sliced Rib Eye steaks? Wed, 04/24/13 9:25 PM (permalink)
                    I was curious about this so I did ask at the Publix meat department today. We specifically talked about "philly cheesesteak" slices and the guy said they can slice ribeye that thin. It does cost $1 more per lb then the going rate. He suggested buying a bone in ribeye roast and let them take the bone off and slice it up for you. Maybe a lot of the full service markets will do that.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com