The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Do plate/tag covers work???

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
Here in Massachusetts, a lot of police cars have automatic laser tag readers, so that every car that the cruiser passes gets a look see by the big computer.  They make a lot of low priority arrests as a result of catching folks with outstanding warrants.

Now a lot of folks are putting laser defeating covers over their tags, so that big brother can't track them.  I note that the majority of the speeders on the Mass Pike have them. Do they defeat radar too? I don't see how they could. 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
    Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 2:27 PM (permalink)
    My guess is (not answering your question) that what you post of will soon be illegal...  like radar detectors and something else of the past that was put over license plates.

I rode with a friend that had a radar detector.  Every time we got near a store with an automatic front door the detector went off.  Maddening.

Sundancer7

Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 2:33 PM (permalink)
      I do not intentionally speed or run red lights although I got nailed about a year ago.  I slowed down but turned right on red and they got me.  I paid the fine.  I will not spend $50.00 on doctoring my plates as I have no intention of violating any laws.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17835
        Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 3:48 PM (permalink)
        I intentionally exceed speed limits, but I do not run red lights. Still, I've never bothered about a radar detector.

By the way, radar detectors are not illegal in most states. While there may be a couple more, the only states I know of where they're not allowed are Connecticut and North Carolina.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 4:55 PM (permalink)
          Most of the devices out dont work that well

The big brother computer is actually reading the number on the tag. 
          It can grab the number from many different angles.

To block or purposely deceive on your plate is an offense by its self AND when the computer comes back NOT IN FILE.  It raises a red flag for the officer to check out a little more thouroughly.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6230
            Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
            Michael Hoffman

I intentionally exceed speed limits, but I do not run red lights. Still, I've never bothered about a radar detector.

By the way, radar detectors are not illegal in most states. While there may be a couple more, the only states I know of where they're not allowed are Connecticut and North Carolina.

Every time we get in the car I hope and pray that a cop will pull him over and give him a NICE FAT SPEEDING TICKET!!!  

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
              Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 5:11 PM (permalink)
              lleechef

Michael Hoffman

Every time we get in the car I hope and pray that a cop will pull him over and give him a NICE FAT SPEEDING TICKET!!!  

And shes your wife !!!!!!!!!!!!!! just think of what i'm hoping for you .....

Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
                Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 9:38 PM (permalink)
                Radar detectors are illegal in NC if you are in a vehicle with a licence plate over 10000lbs. In Va they are still illegal as far as I know. NC uses laser more than radar and nothing beats laser..:(

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                  Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 04/24/13 11:39 PM (permalink)
                  I know there were several products on the market that were supposed to block stoplight and speed camera's from getting a clear picture of your tag. Think most of them were bogus but who knows.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Thu, 04/25/13 3:15 PM (permalink)
                    lleechef

Michael Hoffman

Well, you got halfway there. I was pulled over a few minutes ago for going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. The officer who pulled me over asked whether I'd had a speeding ticket in the past year, and when I said I'd never had one he said, "Well, you won't be getting one today, then." He then took my license back to his car and checked. Then he returned, handed me my license and said "You're right. No tickets for anything." And then he said it's easy to be going over the limit on that stretch of road.

<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Thu, 04/25/13 3:16 PM>

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                      Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Thu, 04/25/13 4:41 PM (permalink)
                      Being innocent looking and elderly helps!!!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Thu, 04/25/13 5:38 PM (permalink)
                        And then there's the fact that the chief of police is a friend ... .

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9556
                          Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Fri, 04/26/13 12:32 AM (permalink)
                          When the officr leaned in the window and asked my wife if I always drive that fast, she replied, "Only when he's been drinkin'"!!!!! 

Sundancer7

Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Fri, 04/26/13 5:17 AM (permalink)
                            I use to drive pretty fast but that was several years ago.  I have three autos and I do not believe any of them have ever been above 68MPH.  I use cruise whenever I can.  It is amazing to me how much the difference in MPG varies from 60 to 65.  I drove from Knoxville to Nashville in my Caddy and the cruise was set at 60 and the big machine averaged by the computer at 31.6.  I drove back to Knoxville at about 68 MPH and the fuel consumption dropped to 26.5MPG.  When you are retired, you try to conserve $'s anyway possible.

Cruise also helps with speed violations.

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                              Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Fri, 04/26/13 8:36 AM (permalink)
                              Radar detectors in non-commercial vehicles are illegal only in Virginia and Washington, D.C.. Radar jammers are a different story. FYI - the cops in Virginia have radar-detector detectors, so you better unplug it, not just take it off the windshield and put it on the floor. I learned that lesson to the tune of $100 last November..........and I wasn't speeding! Also, some states will issue a summons for having the thing on your windshield....a vision impairment.

tmiles

Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Fri, 04/26/13 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                I'm surprised that nobody has quoted (showing his/her age) "I can't driiiive fifty-fiiiiiiiiiiiiive"

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                  Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Fri, 04/26/13 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                  Wabbit
                                  Radar detectors are illegal in NC if you are in a vehicle with a licence plate over 10000lbs.

Are NC license plates made out of osmium or something?

Bart

Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
                                    Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Sat, 04/27/13 2:32 PM (permalink)
                                    @ Porkbeaks, you are soo right! @ Bartl, nahh the plates here are just like all the others, and they do make them in Raleigh NC . Yes still made by the inmates! And all are recycled. The 10000lbs comes into play on radar detectors and the amount of booze in your system. You can get a DUI if you blow a .04 on that weight tag. And no, I have never been in that pickle!

tmiles

Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Sat, 05/18/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                      Just saw on "Mythbusters" that they don't work. They tried a "speed camera" on them, which is it self not legal in this state, but anyway........

Greyish plastic covers.....ticket, magnify-distort covers.....ticket, and special spray.....ticket.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                        Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 07/24/13 12:43 PM (permalink)
                                        The Myth Busters did an episode about president plate covers. They do not work. Period!!!

David O.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                          Re:Do plate/tag covers work??? Wed, 07/24/13 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

Virginia, too.

While living there I was stopped twice just for having one: a small "price" to pay as I was then driving 30,000 miles a year on interstates with an asinine 'double-nickel' limit.
                                          <message edited by MetroplexJim on Wed, 07/24/13 12:57 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com