The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Fall Roadfood Tour

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 120 of 120
ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 5:41 PM (permalink)
We had a great day in Mississippi today, specifically Corinth. After a fair breakfast at the Blue Plate, we hit Corinth running. Breakfast at Abes, very colorful, Slug burger comparison test at White Trolley Cafe, I could go a lifetime before having another, tamales at Dillowrths Tamales, a Great peach malt and pimento sandwich at Borroums Drug Store, a must stop, a $5.50 lunch plate that could have fed 3 people with ham and dumplings and 3 veggies and cornbread and a final stop at Phillips Grocery in Holly Spings for a burger and some okra....nap time!

Big_g

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 5:43 PM (permalink)
    Made it to the Hotel =)
    If you see a tall, heavy bald guy wandering around...its probably me.
    See y'all tonight

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 5:44 PM (permalink)
      Dinner looks to be at 15 now.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 5:56 PM (permalink)
        ChiBears15

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just had the most amazing dining experience at Alcenia's Soul Food.  Fried catfish, collard greens, mac n cheese, and yams...  Simply awesome!

Collard greens and mac n cheese are not even on the menu for Thursdays, but she had them today anyway!  I am feeling lucky.  My only mistake was not leaving room for dessert.  I was just too full to order any pie or pudding, and I hate wasting food so I passed.  Regardless, the food was excellent (a perfect ten) and the owner is a sweet, entertaining host.  I told her that the roadfood guys say hi and she said to thank you. 

I went to the Arcade Restaurant this morning for breakfast and had a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (aka the Elvis sandwich).  It was surprisingly very tasty.  It also helped that my waitress was drop dead gorgeous haha

See you guys in a couple of hours for ribs.  I have pics from both the eateries I visited today; I will post them as a trip report when the roadfood bus tour ends.

Cheers,
        Danny   

Danny

You are SOOOOOOOO in trouble, if you are going TRY and keep up with Chi Town Diner and Buffetbuster.  PIE is a MUST.

Stretch that stomach, gorge yourself, you only live once! 

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
          Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 5:59 PM (permalink)
          Oh come on Greg !!!!!

no more slugburgers the rest of your life????

Your day sounds like a great start to a wonderful weekend.

Enjoy yourself and EAT EAT EAT!!!

ChiBears15

• Total Posts: 68
            Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 6:53 PM (permalink)
            CajunKing,

Thanks, now I feel ashamed of myself for passing on delicious dessert options at Alcenia's lol.  I will work on stretching my stomach so that pie will be able to follow every meal

Are you not coming with us on the bus tour?!  I wanted to meet you to say thanks for the awesome trip reports you put together on this site.  They provide entertainment for viewers like me yet you receive no compensation whatsoever.  Maybe sometime in the future.

Danny

P.S. T-Minus 2 hours and counting until the Rendezvous visit... hehe   

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 7:28 PM (permalink)
              Looks. like dinner is up to 17 if arrive safely.

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 7:34 PM (permalink)
                Looks. like dinner is up to 17 if arrive safely.

TnTinCT

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/17/13 8:44 PM (permalink)
                  Still traveling, won't make it tonight but see you all in the morning!

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Fri, 10/18/13 7:41 PM (permalink)
                    Fourteen of us convened on the Rendezvous for a nice meet and greet dinner on Thursday evening.  The place was rocking and we were finally seated after about 45 minutes wait at 8:45pm.  An enjoyable dinner and some catching up with old friends while meeting and getting to know new friends.

Friday started with a pre-dawn raid on Bryant's Breakfast, a 5:30am opening popular breakfast spot.  We indulged in eggs, biscuit sandwiches of every variety, cinnamon rolls and someone even slipped in some pie. 

The bus loaded up at 9:30am and we pulled out for the long 5 minute drive to Gus's Fried Chicken.  The staff was gracious enough to open an hour early as the lines pre-opening would have precluded us from stopping here.  The chicken was among the best I've had anywhere!  From there, a short 15 minute ride to Desiree Robinson's Cozy Corner and some fantastic bbq in a day that would be filled with three top contenders.  Here we had bbq pork, ribs, Cornish hen, sausage, bologna and plenty of bbq spaghetti.  It was amazing and great to see her 4 generations of family working together.

Next up, a quick change of pace as we visited the Cupboard.  Most folks opted for the 4 veggie plate and our two had mac n cheese, buttered squash, eggplant casserole and collard greens on the first and mac n cheese, fired okra, corn pudding and green beans on the second.  We finished off with banana pudding, apple cobbler and their famous lemon ice box pie.  Ahead of schedule, a quick audible took us to Nancypalooza's recommended Muddy's Bake Shop for pie, bars and a great lemon iced strawberry cake....so good!

BBQ double header time - first stop, the Germantown Commissary for bbq everything - pork shoulder, ribs, shrimp, sausage, deviled eggs and of course, banana pudding - which I felt was my best ever!  Finally, Central BBQ for a bbq sampler compliments of Roadfood that began with house made chips, pulled chicken nachos, and finally a plate for each with a dry rub wing, a bbq glazed wing, a couple of ribs and a pulled pork slider.  Whew! 

Many choose to walk the mile or so back as we had a picture perfect 72 degrees and sunny skies.  Most are taking a break or a short nap before formulating dinner plans.  A great day! 

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Fri, 10/18/13 9:15 PM (permalink)
                      You have room for Dinner??

I do miss being there.  Sounds like you all had a wonderful day.  Food - Friends and Weather wise.

Stephen - Good job on the planning

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Fri, 10/18/13 11:23 PM (permalink)
                        A small but hardy group convened for dinner at Automatic Slim's Tonga Club where the predominate selections were of the nautical variety...shrimp 'n grits, catfish, roasted oysters, redfish...and one big ass steak!  A Roadfood first...6 diners, NO desserts!  Also helped that only one dessert choice remained available!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Sat, 10/19/13 8:46 PM (permalink)
                          Small???  you are talking about you BB CJ and others right???

Did anyone have an Elvis??  Sounds good on the menu.

Gotta love a big ass steak and shrimp & grits

What was the dessert?  Their website doesnt list ANY desserts
                          although the Bananananas Foster sounded good

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Sat, 10/19/13 9:57 PM (permalink)
                            About Time !!

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Sat, 10/19/13 10:42 PM (permalink)
                              Whew...today was a pie half day and a meat half day!  We started the day departing Memphis at 8am for the 90 minute ride to DeValls Bluff Arkansas.  A small town with few buildings, we pulled up to a small (as in 3 people can be inside) pie shop on a country rode.  The specialty is fried pies and there were nine flavors available, so we tried 'em all.  Plus we picked up a slice of chocolate cream and coconut cream.  The most unique fried pie was woodpecker, which as told to us is a favorite of hunters and has chocolate, cherries and marshmallow inside.  Really good!  Next, up the country road about 3 minutes and we approach cautiously The Family Pie Shop.  Ms. Mary was really open yet but we got in and after telling us she had no pie, we managed to rustle up 30 slices of custard, chocolate cream, coconut cream and sweet potato pie.  These we took to go and enjoyed on the bus.

We continued westward to Benton Arkansas home of Ed & Kay's.  We had our dining room, great servers and lots of pie and veggies.  We needed the sugar break so we started with cheese dip and followed with veggies - purple hulled beans, mac salad, garbanzo bean salad, greens, squash casserole and a few more.  And then came the pie...direct from their own pie room display case.  While we tried peanut butter, lemon meringue, coconut cream and apple, the hit was the French raisin!  Outstanding!

Time for meat and our next stop redefined a platter.  Stubby's in Little Rock had a 5lb. meat sampler that we shared with 6 folks!!!  It had everything from ribs to pork to chicken to ham, but the best in America award goes to there beans!  BBQ style and loaded with meat scraps and pieces, they were amazing!  Ten minutes later and we're welcomed to McCLards BBQ for gigantic beef ribs and tamale pie that was 6 inches high!  This place was hopping and folks just hover around a table that looks like it's finishing and then swoop on in!  Great food and lots of fun!

The day finishes with a classic steak dinner at Doe's Eat Place.  They rolled out the red carpet for us as well as all their specialties.  While a very limited menu, we got it all beginning with great tamales with a beautiful chili sauce.  This was followed by grilled shrimp heavily seasoned and served in drawn butter and the lightest battered fried shrimp on the planet.  A refreshing house salad and it was time for the main event.  Three inch high T-Bones the size of the platter were served up and down the table.  There were also matching sirloins and huge pieces of grilled salmon.  The sheer volume was daunting but we held our own! 

A great trip, outstanding food and a really nice group of Roadfooders!  Thanks to Michael, Jane and Stephen for organizing one of the all time best!  Next year, the 10th anniversary trip...gonna be a biggie!!!

If you were on the trip, please feel free to add your observations and comments.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Sat, 10/19/13 10:53 PM (permalink)
                                OK now I am REALLY sad, that I didnt get to make this trip, I will have to start saving pennies for the 10th.

Greg - Sounds like a great day of food and PIE.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
                                  Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Sun, 10/20/13 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                  CTD
                                  Thanks for the trip reports!  Sounds like a good time was had by all and glad to hear no one starved to death.  Wish we could've made it.....maybe next year!

buffetbuster

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Mon, 10/21/13 7:39 AM (permalink)
                                    A big thanks to ChiTownDiner for diligently writing a report everyday about our adventures.  This was easily the best eating Roadfood bus tour yet and frankly, it will be difficult to top.  Lots of pie and barbecue, which is my kind of trip!  And you couldn't ask for a better group of people to travel around and eat with.

ChiBears15 is planning on writing a trip report and I, along with others will be adding some photos and commentary as we go.

buffetbuster

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Mon, 10/21/13 7:50 AM (permalink)
                                      Okay, I can't help but posting a photo now.....

So what separates the professional eater from the recreational eater?  The ability to adapt under difficult circumstances.  Here is Michael Stern

getting the perfect photo of fried pies at the newly reviewed Ms. Lena's. This is despite having his expensive camera lens break the day before and the unwillingness to set his fork down, so he can get to the pies that much quicker! 

ChiBears15

• Total Posts: 68
                                        Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Tue, 10/22/13 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                        Cliff and Boyd,

I received your private messages, but the website will not allow me to reply back to you because I have not yet been a Roadfood.com member for 15 days.  Lol I guess they are worried about spammers signing up on this site. 

It was a real pleasure to meet you two and everyone else during last weekend's outing in Memphis/Arkansas.  It was the perfect combination of great people and delicious food.  Please please please keep in touch.  If any of you are ever in the Chicago area (even if it is a brief trip), contact me and maybe we can find time to grab a meal. 

Cliff, as for a trip report, feel free to start one on your own.  I will add my photos (most likely starting this weekend) to your report as you go along.  Thanks again for giving me a ride to the airport and buying my lunch (or was that dinner? lol ) Sunday night. 

Cheers,
                                        Danny Nowak

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                          Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Tue, 10/22/13 9:39 PM (permalink)
                                          ChiBears15,
                                          You do know there's a whole group of Chicago and Milwaukee Roadfooders who get together on a semi-regular basis, don't you?  We're known as The Contingent, and both ChiTownDiner and buffetbuster are members (Pittsburghers and other out of towners earn "honorary" status by attending at least one of our outings).  We just did two tours in the last month, one of which coincided with the Memphis tour.

Keep your eye on the "Eat and Greet" forum for information on future tours.  We'd love to have you join the group.  You just have to abide by our one rule: You can talk about sex, politics, or religion, but the Bears and Packers are off limits.

Hope we'll see you soon,
                                          Buddy

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                            Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Tue, 10/22/13 11:56 PM (permalink)
                                            BuddyRoadhouse

Keep your eye on the "Eat and Greet" forum for information on future tours.  We'd love to have you join the group.  You just have to abide by our one rule: You can talk about sex, politics, or religion, but the Bears and Packers are off limits.

When does this alleged sex talk take place?

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Wed, 10/23/13 2:42 AM (permalink)
                                              It's your sex life we're talking about, so any time you're not with us.

Buddy

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Wed, 10/23/13 3:10 AM (permalink)
                                                Sadly, that must be a very short conversation.

buffetbuster

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Wed, 10/23/13 7:02 AM (permalink)
                                                  ChiBears15

Cliff, as for a trip report, feel free to start one on your own.  I will add my photos (most likely starting this weekend) to your report as you go along.  Thanks again for giving me a ride to the airport and buying my lunch (or was that dinner? lol ) Sunday night.  
                                                  Thanks Danny!  Like I said in the message sent you, I wasn't planning on doing a trip report, but this was such a fantastic trip, I feel like I need to do one.

Buddy-
                                                  Gregg did let ChiBears15 know about the Contingent and hopefully he will join in.  He is a really good guy and all you Bears fan will like him a lot.  No doubt the Packers fans remain skeptical!   

<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 10/23/13 7:15 AM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Wed, 10/23/13 8:44 AM (permalink)
                                                    I'd like to re-visit this TTM sex talk...did I miss it or was it a short lived conversation?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                      Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Wed, 10/23/13 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                                      The Travelin Man
                                                      Sadly, that must be a very short conversation.
                                                      I didn't know you were married.

Buddy

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
                                                        Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Wed, 10/23/13 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                                        ChiTownDiner

I'd like to re-visit this TTM sex talk...did I miss it or was it a short lived conversation?

I believe this is where the expression "talk to the hand" originated.

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/24/13 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                                          Howard Baratz

ChiTownDiner

I believe this is where the expression "talk to the hand" originated.

YOUCH !!! - TTM it is a good thing we LIKE you!

or

Is this where the expression "SMALL" talk came from??
                                                          <message edited by CajunKing on Thu, 10/24/13 5:20 PM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:The Fall Roadfood Tour Thu, 10/24/13 5:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            I believe both origins are accurate! 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 120 of 120

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com