The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Tue, 04/30/13 7:27 PM (permalink)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
    Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Tue, 04/30/13 7:36 PM (permalink)
    I don't get it. I checked the link and didn't see anything about a Roadfood (or Roadfooder's) attack.

Sundancer7

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Tue, 04/30/13 8:44 PM (permalink)
      Michael:  Same here.  I have no idea about his discussion is about.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2225
        Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Tue, 04/30/13 10:32 PM (permalink)
        I'll be in NYC in a few weeks, now I find out I have to go to Canada for New York Fries. I wonder what country I have to go to and get a New York Pizza ......GGGEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ I can't keep up with this..........

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
          Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Tue, 04/30/13 10:36 PM (permalink)
          pnwchef, I'll be running the Brooklyn Half Marathon in a few weeks and it ends on the boardwalk in Coney Island.  Come on down, grab a hot dog and fries at Nathan's and cheer me on as I cross the finish line!  

Just to stay "on topic", I think perhaps Adjudicator's account was hacked.
          <message edited by billyboy on Wed, 05/1/13 2:24 AM>

Tony Bad

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 1:49 AM (permalink)
            billyboy

Doesn't look like it has been hacked.

My favorite "New York Fries" are from this place  http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

billyboy

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 2:23 AM (permalink)
              You mean these frites, Tony Bad?  My friend Brooke and I chowed down on them with some Organic Black Truffle mayo and Bordeaux wine, figs and sage mayo.  Epic.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 8:02 AM (permalink)
                billyboy

pnwchef, I'll be running the Brooklyn Half Marathon in a few weeks and it ends on the boardwalk in Coney Island.  Come on down, grab a hot dog and fries at Nathan's and cheer me on as I cross the finish line!  

I can assure you that Adjudicator's account wasn't hacked and I'm not even a moderator

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2225
                  Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 9:12 AM (permalink)
                  billyboy

Billy, if I was there during that time, I would jog from the Nathans order line to the pick-up window and meet you at the finish line with a Nathans dog with the works........I know that would give you extra incentive to finish the race................We will not be in NYC until the second week of June, Mollie is in school until the 6th...............I wish you well for the race, I know you will be thinking of Boston........................Bill

Tony Bad

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 9:27 AM (permalink)
                    wanderingjew

I can assure you that Adjudicator's account wasn't hacked and I'm not even a moderator 

Any clue as to what it means then?

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 10:09 AM (permalink)
                      Tony Bad

wanderingjew

Besides waiting for the last 10 years for Adjudicator to comment on something..... anything Roadfood related ? Then I guess the answer is no.

Tony Bad

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 10:46 AM (permalink)
                        wanderingjew

Tony Bad

wanderingjew

Besides waiting for the last 10 years for Adjudicator to comment on something..... anything Roadfood related ? Then I guess the answer is no.

Adjudicator

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 7:11 PM (permalink)
                          LOL.  I picked that "chain" out totally at random.  The point is that some here seem to find fault at just about anything, especially FF restaurants.

I think WJ DID hack my account. 

billyboy

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 7:15 PM (permalink)
                            Given that many FF chains are the polar opposite of what Roadfood is all about, it's not all that surprising that FF restaurants don't rate very highly with many posters on here.  
                            Might it be better (or more clear) to say that "some posters attack FF establishments"?  When I first read the title of your post my first impression was that you felt that the Roadfood site attacks FF establishments, meaning those who run the site.
                            Adjudicator, while it is certainly your right to have and post your point of view, putting up the title of the thread and providing a weblink that didn't seem to have any discernible connection to the title did very little to support your argument.  
                            <message edited by billyboy on Wed, 05/1/13 7:43 PM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2366
                              Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
                              Curiously, when visiting different areas, many RF fans will have to stop at the FF places that aren't available at home. 

IN-N-OUT, anyone? It was my first stop when driving into Arizona.

Adjudicator

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                JRPfeff

Curiously, when visiting different areas, many RF fans will have to stop at the FF places that aren't available at home. 

MY point, exactly.

Tony Bad

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 8:38 PM (permalink)
                                  So ignoring or not covering is synonymous with "randomly attacks"? 

I'm not following that...ummm...logic.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                    We once ran the following poll:
                                    Which of These Chains is Most Roadfood-Worthy? In-N-Out Burger (21%) Waffle House (20%) Chains? Roadfood-Worthy? BAH! (18%) Five Guys (10%) Maid-Rite (8%) Original Pancake House (7%) Steak 'N' Shake (7%) Graeter's (3%) Runza (2%) Piccadilly Cafeteria (2%) Burgerville (1%) Rubio's (1%) Total Votes: 1135 An interesting fact about the 11 chains listed is that, at some time or other, Jane and Michael Stern have recommended each and every one of them. It's true, we often attack chains, but it's not random and it's with plenty of forethought!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4480
                                      Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                      Adjudicator

JRPfeff

MY point, exactly.

I love to hit Hardees for breakfast when out of town for those wonderful breakfast biscuits

Used to be several Hardees in Cincinnati, but they all closed up mysteriously one night many years ago

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                        Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Wed, 05/1/13 11:20 PM (permalink)
                                        Now that I'm back in the Chicago area, one of the very few things I miss from my time in southern Indiana is living within a half hour of a Hardee's. Love those biscuits!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                                          Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Thu, 05/2/13 12:52 AM (permalink)
                                          Fast food places I'm not familiar with are fun spots to stop on road trips.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4714
                                            Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Thu, 05/2/13 1:57 AM (permalink)
                                            As was pointed our by Mr Bilmes, local fast food mini chains are quite popular. Burgerville is often mentioned here with some regularity.
                                            <message edited by mr chips on Thu, 05/2/13 3:02 AM>

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                              Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Thu, 05/2/13 11:32 PM (permalink)
                                              I had some time, so I read all the posts that were modified in the last year - 4 pages of them. While there may have been flame wars that were deleted, and  which may skew my analysis, I don't think a majority of the RF forum posters attack FF places without cause. There is proselytizing by a few members against FF establishments. But a lot of the scathing reviews are not by snobs who only partake of "the finer things in life".
                                              There are posts about heavily publicized temporary menu items that are not really good, they are merely designed to get people into the stores to try them. We see hype jobs about menu revamping that are actually just cosmetic in nature. There are a lot of complaints about FF chain menu items that used to be good, but were cheapened over the years. Lastly, there are some posts praising certain FF chains.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                                                Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Fri, 05/3/13 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                                It's nice to know where I can get what Canadians think of as New York fries in Iraq.

In all fairness, it's tough enough to run one restaurant, produce food good enough to get a write up from the Sterns, and to keep the quality up so people keep coming.
                                                It's even tougher to keep the quality up in a dozen or a thousand restaurants.  If somebody can achieve Roadfood quality and then replicate it around the country, I say applaud them for it.
                                                If somebody can provide a good and consistent level of food and experience at a reasonable price, that's pretty good, too (even if it's not Roadfood).

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                  Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Fri, 05/3/13 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                                  Turns out the very first New York Fries was mostly likely a Roadfood place. I must have passed it many times just about 30 years ago, but can't remember it. Reading the history of the Canadian company, the firm started by buying the Canadian rights in 1983 to a business that had one outlet on the third floor of the then-new South Street Seaport. I used to work near there in the early 80's, and had lunch up there quite a few times. There were no or few chain restaurants up there, which was the food court area of the Seaport. I can remember a very good burger place up there, but not the New York Fries location. I verified the existence by finding an article on Google books, which had a scan of a Montreal Gazette page that carried a syndicated article from the Denver Post. The writer named a few of the eateries on the third floor, which included New York Fries. The web site of the State of New York's Department of State Division of Corporations shows a business by the name of New York Fries, Inc. filed on December 14th, 1982. Later information doesn't really tell what happened to them. After Pier 17 opened at the Seaport, a lot of eateries on the third floor of the Seaport building closed. That is a story in and of itself. Unfortunately, I can't find any independent writeups of that french fry eatery. From pictures of the early Canadian franchises, it seemed they only sold fries made from fresh potatoes and sodas. There were a number of unique eateries on the third floor of the Seaport. With just about every food outlet (Nathan's company owned restaurants being the notable exception) selling frozen fries back then, a place selling fresh-peeled fries was notable.

Adjudicator

Re:I think RF randomly attacks FF establishments with no forethought Mon, 05/6/13 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                                    michaelcarraher

It's nice to know where I can get what Canadians think of as New York fries in Iraq.

In all fairness, it's tough enough to run one restaurant, produce food good enough to get a write up from the Sterns, and to keep the quality up so people keep coming.
                                                    It's even tougher to keep the quality up in a dozen or a thousand restaurants.  If somebody can achieve Roadfood quality and then replicate it around the country, I say applaud them for it.
                                                    If somebody can provide a good and consistent level of food and experience at a reasonable price, that's pretty good, too (even if it's not Roadfood).

Agreed

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com