Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 121
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 10:21 AM (permalink)
Great report! My mouth is watering.

Sundancer7

Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 10:43 AM (permalink)
    Seattle:  One of my favorite places in the USA and most of all, the Pike Place Market.  That is a food and photographers dream with all the colors and smells.  Roz and I also visited the original Starbucks and some Russian bakery jus t up the street.  We bought oodles of fruits including way too many cherries (which were delicious but I regretted about a hour later) cheese, wine.

We stayed at a Marriott facility just a few blocks north of downtown where we enjoyed watching the commercial seaplanes constantly taking off and landing.  Roz had never been to the circus and Ringling Bros were in town and we caught their show.  Roz was fascinated.  It was a three ring event.  The one they have in Knoxville is much smaller.

We traveled the entire state including a trip around Olympia National park, Yakima where we bought lotsa apples and fruit, more wine and cheese (ouch), Spokane where we spent several days exploring western Idaho and of course Whidbey Island and Deception Pass.  We also enjoyed our travel to Canada to Victoria and Vancouver.  ROZ enjoyed shopping

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    <message edited by Sundancer7 on Mon, 05/20/13 10:59 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 11:31 AM (permalink)
      20 minutes from the airport?  What, did you walk home?

It is interesting to here you comment in person and in your trip reports about Seattle.  You obviously have much fondness and positive memories from the area, but still there are some mixed feelings.  There are some cities I definitely have a love/hate relationship with.

Thanks for another great report WJ!
      <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 05/20/13 11:50 AM>

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 11:43 AM (permalink)
        buffetbuster
        I probably spent 10 out of those 20 minutes waiting for a cab to take me home!

You're so right about Seattle, one of those places I love, love, LOVE visiting, but I'm so glad I don't live there.

Same thing about NYC and Long Island- I'm from there, grew up there, enjoy visiting, but all I have to do when I visit is get in my car and deal with the traffic, gridlock and congestion and then I realize quickly why I left, and  of course, don't even bring up the astronomically high cost of living....I remember nearly 6 years ago I spent 10 days helping out our office in Queens- that was the point in time when I had my introspective visit to NY- if you'll recall it was shortly after our second meeting - at Primanti's in Moon- I had to fly back home that evening and then drive to Queens the following morning to start my assignment

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
          Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 11:49 AM (permalink)
          Nicely done, WJ - another excellent report!

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 400
            Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 12:53 PM (permalink)
            Foodbme

will_work_4_bbq

I have never tried dim sum.  There just aren't places around here that serve it.  The pictures make me want to go FIND a restaurant with dim sum, no matter how far!  Looks so tasty!

In Birmingham, AL, "DIM SUM" is defined as ----"The Total of the IQ's of the Crimson Tide Football Team"!!!!
            (I couldn't resist that one)

Not funny, Foodbme! 

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
              Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 1:12 PM (permalink)
              I almost never went the Market without stopping a block up and having a pastie and a pint at Kells in Post Alley. Probably my favorite place in the entire city.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 1:21 PM (permalink)
                SeamusD

It would have been nice to stop at Kell's if I didnt' have a flight to catch...
                I celebrated my 30th Birthday at Kell's when I lived there!

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                  Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 2:05 PM (permalink)
                  Ha, so did I! A lot of pints and drams consumed that night. Also celebrated my last night being "single" there before my fiance (now ex-wife) moved out there with me. Good memories.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 3:58 PM (permalink)
                    WJ - As always my friend a wonderful review to enjoy.  Seeing the world through other's eyes is an interesting way to see the world around you.  Your vision for the Seattle area has always made me want to visit there.

I agree with you and BB about certain cities and places, the love/hate relationships that form.  For me it is Western NY, great place to visit but horrible memories from living there.

Thanks again for sharing with us, now don't stay away too long we miss your trip reports.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 5:06 PM (permalink)
                      Nice report Dale...enjoyed your photos, descriptions and observations on life...I am truly wiser for having followed this thread! 

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3577
                        Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
                        You know, I keep thinking about those two duck dishes you had at Phnom Penh. I love duck in any way shape or form. I could almost make a trip up to seattle just to go get the duck dishes there!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3577
                          Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 5:23 PM (permalink)
                          Sundancer7

Seattle:  One of my favorite places in the USA and most of all, the Pike Place Market.  That is a food and photographers dream with all the colors and smells.  Roz and I also visited the original Starbucks and some Russian bakery jus t up the street.  We bought oodles of fruits including way too many cherries (which were delicious but I regretted about a hour later) cheese, wine.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

That was my one big disappointment in Seattle. I literally drove around for almost an hour, looking for a place to park. I went 3 or 4 blocks away and still didn't find an empty spot. Every meter was taken and no one was leaving. Next time I'll park a few miles away and take a bus!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 5:25 PM (permalink)
                            ChiTownDiner

I am truly wiser for having followed this thread! 

Or perhaps just a little hungrier!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 05/20/13 5:26 PM (permalink)
                              Ed,

did you go on a weekend? I went during the week and found plenty of spots just a a couple of blocks away...

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Tue, 05/21/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                WJ - Is the train station renovation project completed now or are they still working on it?

Ed/WJ - The parking around Pike Market can be brutal at peak times. There is a very expensive lot across the street, which fills up even at their seemingly obscene pricing (vaguely remember $10 for the first half hour or some other NYC-like parking prices). In reality, downtown Seattle is about as car-unfriendly as cities much larger in size. However, like cities much larger in size, Seattle has an excellent public transportation route, which can help alleviate the situation.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Tue, 05/21/13 2:03 PM (permalink)
                                  TTM
                                  The train station renovations had just been completed earlier that week. It was interesting to see the old photos, it appears they paid really close attention to detail, the only thing a little different different were the benches which I guess are now more ergonomic.

strongy78

• Total Posts: 65
                                    Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Wed, 05/22/13 2:13 AM (permalink)
                                    Awesome report.  Great choice of the Salmon Chowder too....it was my personal favorite out of the 4 I tried.  Have even thought about paying the shipping to get it sent to me.  Great pictures...sounds like you had a blast!

Ralph Melton

Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Wed, 05/22/13 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for a lovely report.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                        Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Wed, 05/22/13 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                        Dale-always trust your taste in food. Thanks for another killer report!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                          Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Wed, 05/22/13 8:14 PM (permalink)
                                          Thanks for taking the time to post and share your report WJ! Very enjoyable!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                                            Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Wed, 05/22/13 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                            Thanks, Dale.  You've given me new places to put on my WANT list.

That bowl of chowder did it!  I love soup and I love Pike's Market so it's a perfect match.  (Did you rub the pig's nose?)

I remember being at that Starbucks with a friend back in what I believe was the early '80s and saying to her....

"I'd like to open one of these in Los Angeles."

Thanks again for another wonderful report. 

Well done!

Tex-Max

• Total Posts: 103
                                              Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Thu, 05/23/13 12:31 AM (permalink)
                                              Great Report, WJ.   That Blackened Cajan Salmon Sandwich with the grilled onions and sauces might just make me a Salmon convert.  The dim sum looks good will have to try and scout around for a place.  Enjoyed the Coffee reports.  Fuel Coffee brought a chuckle.   The guys at the office  always labeled my coffee carafe  "Rocket Fuel".  It was a little too strong for them.

mikeam

• Total Posts: 192
                                                Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Thu, 05/23/13 8:35 AM (permalink)
                                                Great report. Thanks for sharing.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Thu, 05/23/13 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                                  strongy78

I would have loved to have tried the other chowders (and sandwiches) at Pikes Place Chowder, unfortunately with so little time that would have to wait for another visit

mar

no snout rubbing on my end.
                                                  I remember my friends visiting me in Seattle back in 1993 from NY. They had to have their photos taken in front of a Starbucks since they had never been to one before....2 years later when I returned to NY for a visit- Starbucks was all over NYC,
                                                  in fact many ego-centric New Yorkers thought it actually started there - on the Upper West Side!

Texascajun

• Total Posts: 115
                                                    Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Thu, 05/23/13 9:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    GREAT report as always WJ. I've been busy with kids and working 12+ hours a day and was excited to see you had posted another trip report. Beautiful pictures and great writing again. Thank You for your reports and keep up the great work.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                                      • Location: New York City, NY
                                                      Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Tue, 05/28/13 7:23 AM (permalink)
                                                      Great report, WJ!  Loved the scenery and the vast array of food.  I was wondering about the grilled salmon sandwich at Ballard Bros.  I'm usually a salmon frowner but that one looked excellent.  Did both of the sauces get in the way of tasting the fish?  That omelet at the Maltby Cafe looked just divine!  Do you know if the mussels you had were Penn Cove mussels?  I was in Washington state for about a month some years ago and the people I was working with took me to a local bar near Bellingham, WA for beers and mussels and they said I had to try the ones from Penn Cove and they were outstanding.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Thu, 05/30/13 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                                        billyboy

I'm somewhat late with a response, this is what happens when I get bounced around like a tennis ball at work 10 or more hours a day. Unfortunately there is no such thing as "down time" in my field.

The cajun sauce and  the tartar sauce did not detract at all from the salmon. You may be a salmon frowner and living on the east coast I can sympathize, but once you  have one bite of pacific Salmon, you'll be a convert.

I wasn't sure if the mussels were Penn Cove, I re-checked Ivar's menu and sure enough, they are Penn Cove Mussels and clams

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                                                          • Location: kansas city, MO
                                                          Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 06/3/13 9:02 AM (permalink)
                                                          Great report! Makes me homesick :)

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                                                            • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                            Re:Stolid, Stoic, Standoffish, Scandinavian Seattle Mon, 06/3/13 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                            Smitha, I really enjoyed this report, despite the paucity of pizza reporting

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 91 to 120 of 121

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com