The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies

easydoesit

• Total Posts: 470
Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Sun, 05/5/13 4:31 AM (permalink)
A local tradition, and the Real McCoy -- very tasty stuff.  Makes me think of Cheerwine and Moxie, which I've never had, but really want to try.

http://lacrossetribune.com/business/local/production-popping-at-spring-grove-soda-pop/article_4febf5de-b41b-11e2-9cc7-001a4bcf887a.html

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
    Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Sun, 05/5/13 6:44 AM (permalink)
    Cheerwine is easy to try...just go to any Cracker Barrel....they have it in their store.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
      Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Sun, 05/5/13 10:27 AM (permalink)
      As a lover of premium sodas and Root Beers, I'd certainly like to try their product. Any cane sugar soda is worth a try, to me. As for Cheerwine....leethebard is right. Get thee to a Cracker Barrel or Fresh Market and get some. Cheerwine is currently going nationwide, but it's spotty. I've also seen it in Do It Yourself Centers. Well worth the trip to get some. It's a favourite soda of mine. They also use it to make ice pop confections on the East Coast.

easydoesit

Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Sun, 05/5/13 11:10 AM (permalink)
        Thank you. leethebard and Root-Beer Man, for the Cracker Barrel tip.  The nearest one is across the state, in a north Milwaukee suburb, but my sister lives there, so the CB store will be a definite stop next time there.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
          Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Sun, 05/5/13 11:34 AM (permalink)
          It's interesting to learn about very regional sodas in the boonies.

My favorite in the boonies of California is Death Valley Black Cherry soda by Indian Wells Brewing Company. I especially appreciate it because I'm not a beer drinker so soda is my thing...

easydoesit

Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Sun, 05/5/13 1:53 PM (permalink)
            CCinNJ

It's interesting to learn about very regional sodas in the boonies.

My favorite in the boonies of California is Death Valley Black Cherry soda by Indian Wells Brewing Company. I especially appreciate it because I'm not a beer drinker so soda is my thing...

The idea of "old west soda" makes me think of "sarsaparilla for the schoolmarm."   Howdy, ma'am.

Emptysequence

• Total Posts: 1
              Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Thu, 05/9/13 6:15 AM (permalink)
              Is this soda or wine?

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Thu, 05/9/13 6:00 PM (permalink)
                Emptysequence

Is this soda or wine?

Cheerwine is a cherry based soda. Reminds me greatly of Dublin Dr Pepper, but with its own character. Love Cheerwine! Thankfully it's ijn the process of going national.

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
                  Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Thu, 05/9/13 9:24 PM (permalink)
                  Any sightings of Kickapoo Joy Juice? We grew up on the stuff in the Cumberland Highland region of eastern Kentucky.

iceomat

• Total Posts: 97
                    Re:Some old time stuff is still around in the boonies Wed, 05/15/13 11:42 PM (permalink)
                    scrumptiouschef

Any sightings of Kickapoo Joy Juice? We grew up on the stuff in the Cumberland Highland region of eastern Kentucky.

They have it at Pop's. Never tried it though. A couple of days ago I found a Cheerwine, Berghoff's Black Cherry, and a Faygo grape (in a glass bottle with real cane sugar) at Atwood's, a farm and home chain around here. Good stuff.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com