The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

California, Here We Come!

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 8 of 9, messages 211 to 240 of 252
buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Tue, 08/20/13 2:51 PM (permalink)
Thanks so much to MayorAl and mar52 for the kind words.  I especially like to hear from native Californians in a report like this.

You are right about all of these forgotten little towns throughout the delta.  I fondly remember an excellent meal at the City Hotel in Columbia, which if I remember correctly, was associated with a nearby culinary school. 

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/21/13 8:37 AM (permalink)
    Wednesday April 24th, 2013 (cont.)

Despite the fact that there wasn't much of an appetite left, the debate on whether we should go out for dinner was short lived.  There was one place left in Sacramento that we had to visit.  Frank Fat's first appeared on my radar when it won a James Beard Award earlier in the year.  But when I read that this Chinese restaurant was best known for their banana cream pie (?), they became a must visit. 

Frank Fat's is right in the heart of the downtown area and we arrived around 8:30PM.  Since they are open until 10:00, that gave us plenty of time for dinner.  The inside is lovely,

full of deep, rich colors and interesting art.  I will just go ahead and apologize right now for the quality of the photos, because this is one of the darkest restaurants we have ever visited.

The front of the menu: 

We could have ordered off of the regular menu, but when we saw the fixed price menu,

that included the banana cream pie, it was an easy choice.

First thing out was the pot sticker and yu kwok. 

Since there was two of us, it would have been nice if we had one of each of these, but we simply cut them in half.  The pork filled pot sticker was quite good, but the yu kwok was overly breaded and neither one of us liked it.

There was already pitchers of hot Chinese oil and red wine vinaigrette on the table. 

Right after we ordered, our waiter brought over a tray with dipping sauces. 

He started to walk away, but before he could, I asked him what each one was.  He told us, from left to right, black bean sauce, ketchup, duck sauce and hot mustard.  Wait, what?  Ketchup?  As a dipping sauce in a Chinese restaurant?  Now I'm not an anti-ketchup guy, as I put it on burgers, potatoes and eggs.  But in a Chinese restaurant?  That is just weird.

The rest of the food arrived and everything did look good.  The garlic green beans

were plenty garlicky, but you know how sometimes green beans can be so crispy they almost squeak?  That's what these were like.  Johnny ate more of these than I did and I usually love green beans.  The young shew fried rice was

ordinary fried rice, although it did come in a generous portion size and had lots of shrimp.

The other two entrees were the highlights of the meal.  The Mongolian Beef

had thin strips of lean beef in a tasty sauce, while the honey walnut prawns

had a crispy exterior in a not-too-sweet sauce.  And since the candied walnuts were large, it made it easy for this nut frowner to avoid them.

Finally, on to the banana cream. 

It did have nice banana flavor and the whipped topping did seem fresh and homemade, but we would have preferred less topping and more banana filling.  Still, a really good slice of banana cream pie.  Just not on the list of best I have ever had.

Now, about the service, we didn't like our waiter at all.  He wasn't unfriendly and even appeared to be young and enthusiastic at times.  But we just had a tough time communicating with him throughout the meal.  When we finished our entrees, he came over and asked if we wanted to take our banana cream pie to go.  It was only around 9:20 and there will still plenty of other customers in the restaurants, so I said no, we will eat in here.  A couple of minutes later, instead of bringing the pie over, he asked if we changed our mind and wanted it to go.  I probably should have taken the hint, that he wanted us to leave, but this was getting me peeved.  We could have eaten the pie, paid the check and been out the door by the time we finally got dessert.  After we finished it, it then took forever for us to the get the check.  By him asking if we wanted the dessert to go, we thought the restaurant was going to close early.  But this did not appear to be the case.  While we were waiting for the check, our waiter was just standing within view chatting with other waiters. 

I don't know what to think about our experience at Frank Fat's.  It is an institution in Sacramento, having been around since 1939.   Obviously with the ketchup and the banana cream pie, it is a very Americanized Chinese restaurant.  Has anyone been here?  What did you think?

Frank Fat's
    806 L Street
    Sacramento, CA
    916-442-7092

It was back to the hotel for the night.

Much more to come.....      
    <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 08/21/13 9:22 AM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/21/13 9:14 AM (permalink)
      The appetizers seem really cheapo if they send one of each for two big strapping guys!  Did you have to split the pie also? 

I don't get that kind of service...the only way to deal with it is in the tipping process. 

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/21/13 10:23 AM (permalink)
        CTD-
        No, at least we did each get our own slice of banana cream pie.

We noticed some of the other waiters were older and we saw by the way they were handling their tables that they were real pros.  We would have had a much better experience at Frank Fat's if we had one them, instead.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/21/13 10:47 AM (permalink)
          Yeah, quality food can lose a lot of it's ratings if the service is "not right".  Sorry the waiter took points away from your experience.  My Brother and his wife live in Grass Valley, a suburb up the hill from downtown. They told me they have enjoyed several visits to Fat Frank's over the last decade. We have not personally visited the place,

Sundancer7

Re:California, Here We Come! Wed, 08/21/13 12:42 PM (permalink)
            BB:  I can tell you right now that when I am there, I will not visit this place.  The food looked OK but just OK and the service you described was not appealing.  Perhaps it was a cultural thing?  Regardless, no way Jose.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 7:36 AM (permalink)
              I can't blame you for that Paul.  There are plenty of other good places to eat in Sacramento.

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 8:25 AM (permalink)
                Thursday April 25th, 2013

It was another early start, since we had so much to do.  We said goodbye to Sacramento and headed towards wine country.  Our breakfast destination was Putah Creek Café

in the attractive town of Winters.  This is another place that has been in the Roadfood books for many years and we were excited about eating here for the first time.  Maybe a little too excited, in my case.  The hostess led us to abooth in the back dining room and once we settled in, Johnny mentioned he was surprised I didn't say something about the pie case.  I replied, "What pie case?"  Somehow I managed to walk right past this

without noticing.  Obviously, I hadn't turned on my pie radar, yet.

PCC had one of the best looking breakfast menus we had seen in a while and it was difficult to whittle it down to one choice.  Johnny went with the Southern Style Biscuits & Gravy. 

This may seem like an odd choice in northern California, but as usual, Johnny hit a home run.  The buttermilk biscuit was hot from the oven and wonderfully soft.  The gravy was ultra-peppery, with big chunks of sausage and neither one of us could remember having a better sausage gravy.  The sausage patties had a fetching heat and packed a strong porky flavor.  Even the eggs, cooked perfectly to over medium, were a pleasure to eat.

My meal started with a big bowl of steel cut oatmeal.  

This dish was very thick, even when the milk was added to it.  My girlfriend, an oatmeal connoisseur would have loved it.  I also made an odd choice considering what part of the country we were in, by going with Em's Chicken Fried Steak. 

The beef steak was very tender, but an old shoe would taste good with that gravy on top.  Like Johnny, my plate also came with some biscuits and gravy and a couple of over medium eggs.  More times than not, when home fries come with my meal, I will pick at them, but are usually the item on my plate that doesn't get eaten, because they are undercooked.  These were nice and crispy and despite my plans for dessert, all of the home fries were eaten.

Time for pie!  Johnny chose the apple raspberry pie,

which featured many layers of tightly packed thin slices of fresh fruit.  The apples had absorbed so much of the raspberry juice, they had turned purple!  My selection was a Pacific Northwest favorite, marionberry. 

The fruit was very sweet and intense and I loved it.  Crust-wise, both Johnny and I raved about the flaky crusts on our pies.

The inside of Putah Creek Café is relaxed and comfortable,

with plenty of room between tables and booths.  Service was efficient and friendly and while the cost of the food is not inexpensive, it is perfectly reasonable for California wine country.  Johnny and I both agreed that Putah Creek Café was the best meal of the trip up to this point.

Considering how good everything was, I couldn't leave without grabbing some baked goods to go.  While the apricot bar

was fresh and delicious, the peanut butter cookie

was pure bliss!

On our way, we noticed this

just outside the door.  We assumed it was some kind of portable pizza oven.

Putah Creek Café
                1 Main Street
                Winters, CA
                530-795-2682

I was already feeling sorry for whichever place had to follow our meal here.

Much more to come.....     
                <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 08/22/13 8:26 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                  Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 8:31 AM (permalink)
                  Now you've done it.

There's going to be rioting in the streets because the CFS has sausage gravy.

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 8:56 AM (permalink)
                    SC-
                    You got me wondering about that, so I went back and looked at their menu and it is indeed sausage gravy.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                      Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 9:41 AM (permalink)
                      That could easily be a pizza oven. Looking at the door on it indicates they could also be using it for baking. Do they serve their own baked bread?

Ralph Melton

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 9:59 AM (permalink)
                        Man, that is some great looking pie.

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 12:42 PM (permalink)
                          Davydd-
                          We did not get any bread during our meal (other than the biscuits), but that doesn't mean that they don't serve their own baked bread.  But, looking at the menu, they definitely do offer wood fired artisan pizzas, so a pizza oven would be my best guess.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7605
                            Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 1:07 PM (permalink)
                            BB:  How ironic that you thought catsup was weird in a Chinese restaurant. 

My mother and I go at least once a week to an old timey Chinese restaurant and just this week I commented to her that I wish they'd still serve the catsup like they used to.

When I was growing up, before fast food, mass produced Chinese food when you first sat down at the table they'd bring you a plate of fried noodles accompanied by a small bowl of catsup with a dab of hot mustard.  It was classic!

You took the biggest noodle you could find, mix the mustard and catsup with it and then dip all the rest of them, one at a time in to the mix until your food was served.

Those were the days they brought you preserved kumquats and pineapple chunks in creme de menthe at the end of the meal.

The food back then was so much better.  Don't know why but we call it New York Chinese.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                              Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 2:02 PM (permalink)
                              What's the old timey Chinese restaurant?   I LOVE old-style "Chinese-American" restaurants! Especially the ones that still serve rumaki, like Lotus Garden in Greenwood, Indiana.

I'm flying to Los Angeles on Saturday for a board meeting at (yuck) Anaheim Marriott on Sunday morning, then flying back to Minneapolis on Sunday afternoon, so I won't have much opportunity to seek out roadfood this trip, sadly.  But I'd cherish the reference for future trips.
                              <message edited by rumaki on Thu, 08/22/13 2:19 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 8:58 PM (permalink)
                                Thursday April 25th, 2013 (cont.)

Not long after leaving the restaurant, I started not feeling well.  It was a stomach ache, along with dizziness.  Undoubtedly, it had nothing to do with Putah Creek Café, but it did affect my experience at our next stop.  For some reason, neither of our GPSs would accept the address for Gott's Roadside in St. Helena.  We got a little lost, before asking directions at a beautiful lake, which was acting as a stop for some kind of bicycle race or event.  All three people we spoke to just raved about how good the food was at Gott's.  The directions they gave us were right on the mark and we quickly found our way there.

If I understand the history of this place correctly, this was originally a landmark burger stand known as Taylor's Refresher for many years.  It ended up closing and the Gott brothers came in, leased the place and changed it's name to Taylor's Automatic Refresher.  Just a few years ago, the name was changed again to Gott's Roadside.  An old wooden sign

with the original name still hangs out front, which is a nice nod to the past.

It was still fairly early when we arrived and there was only one other customer.  From what we read, this place can get maddeningly crowded, so we felt fortunate to get here at this time.  The outside looks like a cute little drive-in

and it is hard to miss just how clean and well kept everything looks.

On a normal day, we would have ordered far more, but with me not feeling myself, we decided to just split a burger and a side.  As you can see from the day's specials,

this is not your typical roadside joint. 

The list of available burgers wasn't big, although every single one sounded like something we would enjoy.  As soon as I saw the description for the Wisconsin burger, I knew that was the one.  Luckily, Johnny shares a love for mushrooms, so that made it easier.  Here is the Wisconsin burger in all of it's glory:

On that burger you have grilled mushrooms, bacon, cheddar cheese, barbecue sauce and mayo on round grilled sourdough toast.  Other than maybe skipping the mayo, if you asked me what my perfect burger would look like and have on top of it, this would just about be it.  The burger itself is certainly of the highest quality and the fresh meat ground daily.  One minor quibble is that they cook all the burgers to medium well, but it was still juicy enough.

After I took my photos, we realized that we didn't have a knife to cut it in half to share.  So, I took it back up and asked them to cut it half.  When they returned it to us, they now placed both halves in their own burger diaper. 

This is one of those places where they do the little things right!  Both of us raved about the burger and I felt bad that Johnny was forced to share it with me, just because I wasn't feeling 100%.  This was the best burger of the trip and maybe of the year.

As a side, we went with the sweet potato fries,

which comes dusted in chili spice.  These were still hot, long and wonderfully crispy.  For dipping, we were given a cup of dill sauce. 

Gott's is also famous for their milkshakes. 

Johnny went with the pistachio.  He did like that there were plenty of whole nuts in the shake, but he didn't think it had strong enough pistachio flavor or was blended very well.  Even though I don't drink coffee, I had heard too many great things about their espresso bean shake to pass it up.  As expected, the flavor was intense, maybe too much so.  I would prefer to try another flavor on my next visit.

We had our choice of seating, as you can sit under picnic tables in front and back

or under a roof at a long table,

which is what we choose.  While we ate, we watched an entire army of employees, cleaning and setting up for the day ahead.  It is obvious that this is a well run establishment.  We loved our visit to Gott's Roadside.  Two meals so far on this day and both of them outstanding.

Gott's Roadside
                                933 Main Street
                                St. Helena, CA
                                707-963-3486

While many think it strange that here we are in wine country and we didn't visit any wineries, I have maybe three or four glasses of wine a year at most, while Johnny is a teetotaler.  We passed some beautiful scenery and vineyards, but drove right past.  Instead, open up those golden gates, we were finally heading to San Francisco!                
                                <message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 08/23/13 11:08 AM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                  Sausage, sausage gravy and a pie case (filled) followed by best buger of the year... you're living the life! Congratulations on a great double header!

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 400
                                    Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                    Love the burger!  Love the term "burger diaper"!

mikeam

• Total Posts: 192
                                      Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for sharing your trip.  I love every post.

The Wisconsin burger looks great.

mar52

Re:California, Here We Come! Thu, 08/22/13 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                        Rumaki, I love Rumaki!

Mom and I go for the lunch menu.  I know where it is but would you believe I don't know the name?

Next time we're there I'll check the appetizers AND the name.

The only part of it that's not so old timey is that they've added a Hawaiian menu to the mix.

It's in Culver City on Centinela Ave. 

1wait!  I'll Google it....

Not in Culver City.  On the line!

Also a strange name.  I was thinking something Dragon.

New Flavors
                                        4135 Centinela Ave
                                        Los Angeles, CA 90066

[/link]
                                        [link=http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/5/413/LA/Culver-City-restaurants]Culver City

4135 Centinela Ave
                                        Los Angeles, CA 90066

We also like Twin Dragon and they have Rumaki. 
                                        http://www.twindragonla.com/

8597 West Pico Blvd
                                        Los Angeles. CA 90035

buffetbuster

Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 7:18 AM (permalink)
                                          mar52

Those were the days they brought you preserved kumquats and pineapple chunks in creme de menthe at the end of the meal. 
                                          Kumquats and pineapple chunks in crème de menthe?  That sounds both bizarre and delicious at the same time.  Never seen anything like that.

Thank you mikeam and will_work_4_bbq for your generous comments.  They are always much appreciated! 

<message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 08/23/13 7:20 AM>

Sundancer7

Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 7:37 AM (permalink)
                                            BB:  Interesting that you posted on Taylors/Gotts .  Interesting in that my wife and I ate there about 30 years ago.  The brunch was part of a package that was included in hot air balloon cruise we did in the Napa Valley.  The food then was double outstanding and at that time it was a bit of a gourmet brunch.  Thanks for the memories.

I little side bar as the balloon pilot was showing off a bit and did the thing where he lowered the balloon in flight where it brushed the top of a tree.  A great stunt however the top of the tree branch caught my wrist and yanked my medium priced watch off.  I guess it is still there.

Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
                                              • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                              BB
                                              I seem to be "tail-end Al" in keeping up with your Journal entries. I apologize for my lack of timely feedback (no pun intended). Your photo and comments of the 'Gott Burger' is Spot on for the Burger I visualize as 'The Perfect Burger' The mayo would cut the intensity of the BBQ sauce, and I would add grilled onions and maybe some avocado slices in place of the mushrooms that I love, but that my lack of Gall Bladder cannot handle anymore.

MAR- I always thought (as a kid with my parents at Chinese places in the South Bay area) that those were tinned Figs not kum-quats. My error.  But , Yes they were in small condiment dish/bowls at the end of the dinner.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                                Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                                The photos from Gott's make me want to jump in the car and drive until I find someplace just like it...preferably closer than California.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                                                  Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 10:21 AM (permalink)
                                                  mar52:

Thanks for the info on the Chinese places.  Sorry to hijack the thread, but the search for rumaki is relentless and neverending!

Here's a link to the New Flavors site:  http://www.newflavorsrestaurant.com/

<message edited by rumaki on Fri, 08/23/13 10:47 AM>

icecreamchick

• Total Posts: 99
                                                    Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 10:56 AM (permalink)
                                                    Wow, both Putah and Gott's look lovely. The apricot bar looked delicious!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                                                      • Location: west chester, PA
                                                      Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                      Gotts gets added to our next trip to San Rafael!.and BTW.the sunday market there(SR) at the Civic Center is a delight as well

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                        Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 1:38 PM (permalink)
                                                        [qupte]mar52

Kumquats and pineapple chunks in crème de menthe?  That sounds both bizarre and delicious at the same time.  Never seen anything like that.

BB,  those were 2 separate dishes.  One with the pineapple and the other with the kumquats.

Al,  I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember those.  Possible yours were figs?

Rumaki, thanks for the link.  I didn't find one!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                          • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                                          ScreamingChicken

The photos from Gott's make me want to jump in the car and drive until I find someplace just like it...preferably closer than California.

Amen to that!

or if there are two of us driving....

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                            • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:California, Here We Come! Fri, 08/23/13 4:15 PM (permalink)
                                                            BB - Back to back Winners, you were on a roll until the bug got you.

I am sure Cousin Johnny would have loved for you to have your own burger, but I think this once he could eat only half, you may have to make it up to him in the future though

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 8 of 9, messages 211 to 240 of 252

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com