The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's

myway

• Total Posts: 308
Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Mon, 05/6/13 4:46 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Hi everyone,
   As my post states my local Sams Club is no longer carrying Nathan's hot dogs. I have been using Nathan's for a bit now and folks liked them. So now I am once again dreading trying to find a decent quality hot dog to carry on the cart. 
    I live in what I like to refer to as the Hot dog wasteland of America.  Small town rural Indiana where you can throw the cheapest most disgusting hot dog on a dried up nasty bun, and some poor guy thinks it's good as long as it is cheap. 
   I tried to keep good quality on top of the list. I really did. Nathan's was a good dog. I sold them at $1.50 and did o.k. Good food, good value. Apparently Nathan's has decided to stop their business with Sam's Club and that is putting a kink in my hose.
   I have checked into Vienna Beef and Red hot Chicago, but they were a little expensive. Koegels I can get, at about .61 a piece, but some folks woo at the natural casing. (I LOVE it!). So I am on the prowl looking for a decent dog to carry.
   Sometimes I feel like I am just in the wrong area to really make a go of it as far as a good quality hot dog. The largest seller around sells an 8-1 Gordons food Service dog, (equivalent to eating carp). I do not want to be that guy. So here is the question, .. give up and be assimilated into the Borg selling these cheap hot dogs, or maintain a high quality  dog, if I can find one locally, and begin to build from there? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1956
    Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Mon, 05/6/13 4:55 PM (permalink)
    Your selling a Nathan's dog for a buck and a half?
    I wouldn't get out of bed for that.
    As far as another dog to try , have you had a HN?

myway

• Total Posts: 308
      Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Mon, 05/6/13 5:02 PM (permalink)
      Yep, I know, 1.50 is real cheap, but here it seems you are always in competition with the guy next to you that sells crap dogs and he can beat your price all day long.  We have talked about upping the price to 2.00. Hebrew Nationals are great dogs no doubt. If I could get them at a decent price. The only place I think I can get them is Walmart. Paying retail scares me, but it might be worth a try.

Tristan225

• Total Posts: 350
        Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Tue, 05/7/13 12:24 AM (permalink)
        Well....ya could do a 2 hr trip to the Indy Restaurant Depot. Or try to beg Sysco or some other wholesaler to sell you small quantities. Call Nathan's and see if they have an idea. Gordons may be able to get them for you. I hear you on the GFS dogs, even the all beef, I can't stand the smell of them. They are my back-up dog for groups that need a cheap dog. Ever thought about doing tacos?

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
          Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Tue, 05/7/13 3:44 PM (permalink)
          [This post was marked as helpful]
          Sam's never sold Nathans here. I think they sell the jumbo's out of the Deli, I'm not sure. I watched for the sales and bought Nathans wherever. Sometimes they were $6.50 I think. So I just shopped for the deals. That's more time and effort with no benefits.

I bought a box of Bakers and Chef Saturday for the Marathon I catered Sunday. My son and I ate the Bakers and Chefs and a Nathans unadulterated. I mean just plain, and I'm sitting here wondering why everyone is willing to pay 2 or 3 times more for Nathans than Bakers and Chefs. We liked them every bit as much as Nathans. So, I've been converted. I'm a Bakers and Chefs Hot Dog Vendor. And they are just .22 1/2 cents each

Get a box and taste them yourself next to anything. Don't worry what Joe Blow says about them. You taste them and make your own decision. Last July I liked Hebrew National the least of about 5 different brands I tried. They didn't taste like a hot dog to me.

Go by your own taste. Hell, there are folks here recommending what to buy and what taste best, and they won't even suck a Crayfish's head. How ya gonna believe someone like that. They need their taste buds tested by an expert. They have a problem. LOL!!!

I sold them so fast I didn't hold them very long. Maybe they split. I'll find out and make adjustments at Walgreens for my daily location business. I have folks that ask for a split one if they see it. If I have one in the pan I'll ask the customer which one they want and half the time they want the split one. Go figure.

I want to be an expert event's Caterer if I can find enough events. It's gonna be hard to do a $75 to $100 day here in my town. I'd have to sell T-Bone Steak on a bun for $3 to make that kind of money here. Hot Dog eaters here are far and few inbetween. You have to be the only game in town at an event to do good here with Hot Dogs. 

Can someone lend me $150,000 to move to New York, I know I can make it there. Heck with my Cajun accent I'll fit right in. They'll probably think I'm a foreigner and buy anything I sell. Ha ha!
          <message edited by brickboo on Tue, 05/7/13 3:48 PM>

sillydogz

• Total Posts: 113
            Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Tue, 05/7/13 4:32 PM (permalink)
            Brickboo, 

How are you cooking the baker and chefs? You're the second person I've seen mention how great they are. I just might go for them over nathan's.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 740
              Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Tue, 05/7/13 4:35 PM (permalink)
              "Can someone lend me $150,000 to move to New York, I know I can make it there."
              If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. At least according to Frank and Liza.

BpCBlake

• Total Posts: 436
                Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Tue, 05/7/13 5:01 PM (permalink)
                here in vegas, in the tourist areas they have a 4 for a buck dogs. I can only imagine whats in them. prolly religious dogs. i.e. they are full of all gods creatures big and small.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 740
                  Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Tue, 05/7/13 5:45 PM (permalink)
                  To OP...is Sam's the only place that sells them?
                  To Boo, ya miss the name brand of Nathans.
                  To Blake....Vegas doesn't apply to anyone else.

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
                    Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Tue, 05/7/13 5:59 PM (permalink)
                    Nate, I grill all of my dogs and hold them in the steamer.
                    Does anyone know if there is a cover for the full size pan that holds the boiling water? I thought for a huge festival that we have here in the fall that I'd just load up the grill and also just boil a bunch of dogs in the full size pan if I got that busy. 

Cheese, Jack I really don't think the folks out here even know the difference in any dog. They probably all buy the $1.18 a pack pork and chicken Oscar Meyers for the house. And like I said before all they want is mustard and or ketchup. Every tenth person wants the chili when I suggest it. 
                    <message edited by brickboo on Tue, 05/7/13 6:05 PM>

HotDogopolis

• Total Posts: 33
                      Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Wed, 05/8/13 11:01 PM (permalink)
                      I taste tested Bakers and Chefs against Nathan' when I first started out. My family, and customers liked them better than Nathan's. The B and C dogs were, and are delicious, but they are VERY temperature sensitive. My most successful method with these dogs was to very lightly griddle (I bought a SizzleQ for my grill from Sam's Club) them up to temp, and then hold them between 145 and 150 degrees. Do not hold the dogs higher than 160, or they will start shrinking like a breakfast sausage!

I now use Kent 100% Black Angus franks. You can't beat them. Absolutely delicious. See if someone in your area sells them and give them a try.
                      <message edited by HotDogopolis on Wed, 05/8/13 11:03 PM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                        Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Thu, 05/9/13 10:37 AM (permalink)
                        At least you'll find packages of Nathan's on sale @ the Supermarket...in NYC during the summer...quite often...and as cheap as chips.

dixie dawgs

• Total Posts: 1
                          Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Wed, 12/4/13 8:02 PM (permalink)
                          our hot dog cart uses Bakers Chef hot dogs  cooked in a special juice  but I  am not happy with  the beef Bakers Choice while they are cheaper I know its not the best I could  do Without a doubt Nathans is far superior but the price has always scared me off.   No way for $1.50  We get $2.00 for beef dogs and then we don't sell many.  But I feel sells would increase once they got a look and taste  of Nathans    Thinking hard on switching.

HotDogopolis

• Total Posts: 33
                            Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Wed, 12/4/13 8:32 PM (permalink)
                            Hey dixie dawgs! I'm just up the road in Birmingham. I used Bakers and Chefs for a while, then about a year ago I switched to Kent. They are absolutely amazing! I can only get them from a local distributor. I use the 100% Angus Beef frank- lightly grilled in small batches, and then held in beef bullion. Try them a local distributor can get them.

Tristan225

• Total Posts: 350
                              Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Wed, 12/4/13 10:13 PM (permalink)
                              Try calling Nathans direct from their website to see if there is a distributor around you.
                              dixie dawgs

our hot dog cart uses Bakers Chef hot dogs  cooked in a special juice  but I  am not happy with  the beef Bakers Choice while they are cheaper I know its not the best I could  do Without a doubt Nathans is far superior but the price has always scared me off.   No way for $1.50  We get $2.00 for beef dogs and then we don't sell many.  But I feel sells would increase once they got a look and taste  of Nathans    Thinking hard on switching.

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
                                • Location: dodging,snakes,spiders,roaches, armadillos.opposso
                                Re:Here we go again...... Sam's Club no longer carrying Nathan's Fri, 12/6/13 5:23 PM (permalink)
                                another option is to friendly up to a local restaurant or whatever and have
                                 them piggy back with there order. you'll have to find one that's not on a power trip tho.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com