The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Sandwich stand/cart in a college town? Wholesale food biz q's?

foodie mama

• Total Posts: 1
Sandwich stand/cart in a college town? Wholesale food biz q's? Tue, 05/7/13 1:22 PM (permalink)
Dear all,
I am new to this forum, and I have a ton of questions. I am a single mother who works as a full-time restaurant manager. I am in a great need of a second income, so I started guessing about starting my own small food business. I can make extraordinary crepes. I am not sure how popular they would be, though so far I haven't met a person who didn't like them... I live in a small southern college town. The local regulations do not really favor food trucks, plus I do not have that extra money to afford a truck now. What I think about is making sandwiches (or hot dogs?) for students (we have a private college, a community college, a bunch of high schools, a couple of large colleges as well). I checked on some college websites, they seem to have their own food operations (cafes) so I am not sure I could approach those ones... My current employer is a restaurant chain that prohibits me as their salaried worker from working as their competitor. I am not sure how I could possible overcome that obstacle, but I do need that job along with my second potential income.
Another thing I can possibly think about is wholesale food business. The positives are 1. I could work overnight instead of day hours when time is divided between my primary job and kids; 2. I would not have to deal with multiple retail customers which could be pain in the butt... oh well... Has anyone done a wholesale business? If yes, where do I start?
So I guess right now I am in the "thinking it over" process. I am not sure where to start. I know I would need to figure the local regulations and talk to the Health Dept people. In perspective, I would like being self-employed, growing my food biz.
What minimum cash do I need to have to start a small (part-time) food operation? Could anyone share their memories from the first days of owning their own food biz? I need some advice and some confidence that it is worth it doing this kind of stuff... Any ideas are more than welcome. Thanks for reading my message!
<message edited by foodie mama on Tue, 05/7/13 1:26 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com