The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Maybe a silly question

Evader

• Total Posts: 2
Maybe a silly question Fri, 05/10/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
Howdy all - I'm new on here and to most things 'American'. My wife and I are flying into Chicago next week and then driving across on Route 66 to Santa Monica with 5 weeks in which to do it.

The first Q that comes to mind is the reference to biscuits and gravy - I understood that what we call biscuits, you call cookies. So in the context of breakfast - what are biscuits and more importantly (to me) what is the gravy. To us in UK, gravy is a savoury consumed with meat, can anyone help me, please?

Regards Evader (aka Confused of Christchurch)

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
    Re:Maybe a silly question Fri, 05/10/13 5:47 PM (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood Evander!

It's not a silly questions. Not a cookie. American biscuits can differ based on ingredients. In general...biscuits would come closest to a savory plain scone in your part of the world.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
      Re:Maybe a silly question Fri, 05/10/13 5:49 PM (permalink)
      Hopefully some of the posters here who travel a lot will have some good photo examples for you. I love B&G but can't describe in words other than I like a good sausage gravy, lots of sausage and lots of pepper. I hope you get some good help and have a wonderful trip!!  BTW, Chicago is a great eating City and I hope you spend some time exploring beyond tourist fare. We have a lot of great food!!

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
        Re:Maybe a silly question Fri, 05/10/13 5:52 PM (permalink)
        Biscuits are similar to scones, without the dried fruit and generally not sweet (although some people put a little sugar in the flour/shortening mixture before you roll it out and cut it with "biscuit cutters" or even a small inverted glass).

The gravy is usually, but not invariably, "white" or "milk" pan gravy, using milk or cream or "half and half" thickened with a flour roux made with pan drippings (which could be bacon, sausage, or the leftover shortening or oil in which you pan fry chicken).   The gravy in biscuits and gravy, when served for breakfast, commonly has crumbled cooked sausage in it.  But it could also have leftover "crispies" from fried chicken.

At least that's what it means in my world.  I expect you'll get varied replies.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
          Re:Maybe a silly question Fri, 05/10/13 6:36 PM (permalink)

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
            Re:Maybe a silly question Fri, 05/10/13 6:53 PM (permalink)
            If Biscuits are called cookies, then what are cookies called..............I'm going for a Oreo while I wait for the answer.............

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
              Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 12:46 AM (permalink)
              Biscuits & Gravy, while a simple dish, can take on various forms as a result of a wide variety of recipes.
              Here's some photos that will give you a sampling of the numerous interpretations:
              http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=biscuits+and+gravy&qpvt=biscuits+and+gravy&FORM=IQFRML

Foodbme

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 1:07 AM (permalink)
                If you've never been to the United States, you're in for a great experience food-wise and otherwise.
                Give us other cities you'll be visiting and we'll clue you in!
                Since you're new to this site, here's some tips on how to find places that Roadfooders have actually visited and written reports about, complete with pictures.
                1. On the Homepage of www.roadfood.com in the upper right-hand corner you'll find a box titled "Find Authentic Regional Eats"
                2. Type in a city name, followed by a comma and an abbreviation of the state.
                3. For example - Oklahoma City, OK
                4. It will pull up 26 places in the vicinity with complete write ups of places in the general area with pictures and ratings.
                5. Click on the restaurant name and you'll get the complete review
                6. WELCOME TO THE COLONIES!!!
                <message edited by Foodbme on Sat, 05/11/13 1:10 AM>

Foodbme

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 1:19 AM (permalink)
                  pnwchef

If Biscuits are called cookies, then what are cookies called..............I'm going for a Oreo while I wait for the answer.............

Cheereo, enjoy your Oreo old chap!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                    Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 12:09 PM (permalink)
                    Foodbme, could you get a few more pics of Biscuits and Gravy, the 750,000 on your link, ALL looked fantastic!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                      Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 12:32 PM (permalink)
                      Chewy, That was just the Bing search. If you can't get enough try the Google image search for

Biscuits and Gravy

BTW, Mar52, What's with that photo showing the gravy served on the side? I've never been served that way.

chewingthefat

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 12:46 PM (permalink)
                        Davydd, I believe they do that at Bob Evans Restaurants!

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                          Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 12:51 PM (permalink)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY6u2WNBi5E

interesting 3 minute high speed trip illinois to callie on rt 66

mar52

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 1:24 PM (permalink)
                            Davydd 

BTW, Mar52, What's with that photo showing the gravy served on the side? I've never been served that way.

That was a breakfast in Texas.  Seems that a lot of places there serve all sides in little bowls.  I immediately dump them on my plate.

So, if we call that gravy with meat in it sausage gravy, would it then be known as banger gravy in England?

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                              Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 1:59 PM (permalink)
                              Evader, start taking Lipator this week, we have Prilosec OTC in most stores.............Have fun on your trip..............pnwc

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 4:15 PM (permalink)

Hmmm out of all the photos I have posted on here I only found 3 biscuits and gravy

chewingthefat

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                  Cajun, that looks incredible!

Sundancer7

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 5:07 PM (permalink)
                                    Sausage and gravy or any gravy is best for me when served on the side.  You can use it for dipping and saving your biscuits or at least some of your biscuits for jellies or honey or whatever.

I make sausage and gravy quite often.  I take a half roll of country sausage hot and brown it and set  it aside.  I take some residual grease from the sausage, add flour and pepper and make a roux.  After it begins to brown the way I like it, I add either water or milk.  To me it does not make any difference.  Usually about a couple of cups and when it starts boiling and gets to the preferred consistency, I add the browned sausage and let it continue for a few more minutes.

I am sure that there are many more options but this works for me.  In addition, my ugly dog Angel really likes it hot sausage and all.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

Evader

• Total Posts: 2
                                      Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                      Hi all - so many responses it is difficult to get my head around them all and don't want to seem rude by not replying to all of them, but maybe that is just me being English.

Not really sure where to start as there are so many differences between what you call stuff and the English.

Your white 'gravy' we would regard as a sauce, which here can be savoury or sweet. I (currently) do not have a cholesterol problem, but am more concerned about gaining many pounds.

I do like to try different foods when travelling, but do have a preference for bacon, sausage, eggs, etc

Mar52 - from your location I see that we will be very close to you at the end of our trip - we are staying 3 nights at El Segundo, just south of LAX.

Nearly midnight here now, so time for the snore-pit

Really looking forward to the trip and only a few days to go now - many thanks for all the responses

Goodnight all zzzzzzzzz

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                        Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 7:37 PM (permalink)
                                        Evader, Please let us know how your turns out!!

mar52

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 8:50 PM (permalink)
                                          Evader....  El Segundo?  What made you choose El Segundo?

Do you have favorite foods?  Will you have a car?

There are a lot of places to see in the Los Angeles area.  Let me know what you're looking for.

Foodbme

Re:Maybe a silly question Sat, 05/11/13 9:43 PM (permalink)
                                            If you stay true to your Route 66 plans, it will take you through Winslow AZ.
                                            Try to plan your itinary so you can stay at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow, AZ. 
                                            It's a wonderful experience. A Unique place that's been restored to it's magnificance with an excellent restaurant.
                                            It's The Last Great Railroad Hotel built in 1929 by the Santa Fe Railway for the Fred Harvey Company. It's on the National Registry of Historic Places.
                                            http://laposada.org/index.php
                                            And since you'll be so close, if not already in your plans, you must go see the Grand Canyon. I think it may be bigger than Wales!!!
                                            I might add---Make reservations at La Posada as soon as you can if you want to stay there to insure getting a room. It's a popular place.
                                            Also, if you plan to stay at the Grand Canyon, make Reservations. Summer is a very busy time for them up there and rooms are limited.
                                            <message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 05/12/13 2:33 AM>

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                              Re:Maybe a silly question Sun, 05/12/13 12:25 AM (permalink)
                                              Enjoy your trip but don't lock yourself in... the US is huge and every region has wonderful and unique food!!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                                Re:Maybe a silly question Sun, 05/12/13 3:29 AM (permalink)
                                                Evader
                                                ...don't want to seem rude by not replying to all of them, but maybe that is just me being English.
                                                New to the internet, are you?  Rude is the currency of the land buckaroo.

Seriously, you would do well, if possible, to post your progress as you go along Route 66.  There are plenty of Roadfooders who would gladly meet up with you, or advise you as you approach specific areas.  There's a large group of us here in the Chicago area, where you're going to start your journey, who would be happy to show you around a bit, schedules permitting.

Route 66 though Illinois is especially promising for Roadfood.  There are several threads on this site regarding either Route 66 or specific cities you'll hit while on the road.  You would do well to do a search for that information.

Have a great trip!  Perhaps we'll see you when you're in Our Town.

Buddy
                                                <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 05/12/13 3:30 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                                                  Re:Maybe a silly question Sun, 05/12/13 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                                  BuddyRoadhouse

Have a great trip!  Perhaps we'll see you when you're in Our Town.
                                                  Does this mean you'd like to show him the Wilder side of Chicago?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                                    Re:Maybe a silly question Sun, 05/12/13 2:53 PM (permalink)
                                                    I know you think you're being funny, but sometimes your just a Thornton in my side.

Buddy

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                                      Re:Maybe a silly question Mon, 05/13/13 12:12 AM (permalink)
                                                      Evader

Howdy all - I'm new on here and to most things 'American'. My wife and I are flying into Chicago next week and then driving across on Route 66 to Santa Monica with 5 weeks in which to do it.

The first Q that comes to mind is the reference to biscuits and gravy - I understood that what we call biscuits, you call cookies. So in the context of breakfast - what are biscuits and more importantly (to me) what is the gravy. To us in UK, gravy is a savoury consumed with meat, can anyone help me, please?

Regards Evader (aka Confused of Christchurch)

A big HOWDEEE, Y'ALL from Texas! Someone needs to suggest some BBQ joints in Oklahoma and Mexican food in New Mexico or Arizona to Evader. 
                                                      Evader, In Barstow, California where I-40 ends and I-15 begins to take you to Southern California, there is a very well known and very popular hamburger restaurant called,
                                                      In-N-Out Burger. It's a large privately owned chain but nothing like McDonalds. Do stop there and have a great burger. Ask for a double meat and cheese "Animal Style". It's just one of the (delicious) reasons we yanks are so fat. And believe me, after your long stretch on 66 (I-40) you'll be ready for one. With  a cold chocolate shake as well!
                                                      https://plus.google.com/1...860404422/photos?hl=en
                                                      http://www.in-n-out.com/

Twinwillow

Re:Maybe a silly question Mon, 05/13/13 12:31 AM (permalink)
                                                        Evader, check out the "66 Diner" in Albuquerque, New Mexico that's reviewed on the current Roadfood home page. Looks like a place you should stop at for some serious American comfort food.

Twinwillow

Re:Maybe a silly question Mon, 05/13/13 12:41 AM (permalink)
                                                          Evader, be sure to check out the "66 Diner" in Albuquerque, New Mexico that's currently featured on the Roadfood home page.
                                                          It looks like the perfect place to experience some good old American comfort food while on your trip. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com