The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Sat, 05/11/13 2:45 PM (permalink)
I must say that this list seems Chicago heavy, (as does the linked 35 Best in the article). Never have eaten dogs in Chicago, but I guess I'll have to remedy that next time I get up there. I was pleased with their #10 choice, tho. I have had the chili dog at the Dew Drop Inn in Mobile and it's a really good example of it's kind. They make a good cheeseburger, too.

http://shine.yahoo.com/sh...ot-dogs-161800364.html

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Sun, 05/12/13 12:40 AM (permalink)
    For the most part, a terrible list. I can't imagine leaving off Nathan's in Coney Island and Grey's Papaya and Papaya King in Manhattan.

ayersian

Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Sun, 05/12/13 9:44 AM (permalink)
      This list is actually the first of any food where I've actually been to most of the places!  8 out of 10, what a score!  Twinwillow, check out the longer listing: Nathan's (#35) and Gray's Papaya (#28) are included on the Top 35 list; this is merely the Top 10 of the bigger 35 list.  There's a link to click after the first paragraph of the article...

BTW, Michael Stern gets the photo credit for Rawley's of Fairfield at #7.    Chris

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Sun, 05/12/13 10:15 AM (permalink)
        ayersian
        BTW, Michael Stern gets the photo credit for Rawley's of Fairfield at #7.    Chris

Without his permission, no doubt.

wallhd

Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Sun, 05/12/13 10:18 AM (permalink)
          Don't know who made the selections, but it is GREAT to see local favorite Clare & Carl's get some long-overdue recognition.

I must say however that, no one who "voted" for the 22 places ranked higher than Clare's has ever eaten a Michigan hot dog. If someone has enjoyed one-or several-they would have rated Clare's # 1.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
            Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Sun, 05/12/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
            ayersian

This list is actually the first of any food where I've actually been to most of the places!  8 out of 10, what a score!  Twinwillow, check out the longer listing: Nathan's (#35) and Gray's Papaya (#28) are included on the Top 35 list; this is merely the Top 10 of the bigger 35 list.  There's a link to click after the first paragraph of the article...

Thanks, Chris. I didn't see the "top 35" list link at the bottom. I'm sure all the dogs are good but as a NY raised guy, I don't care much for more than kraut and mustard on my dogs. Although, I always loved the dogs from the corner Sabrett carts in Manhattan that were smothered with their famous onion sauce.

I would however love to try a "half smoke" with chili at Bens Chili Bowl in DC.

We lived in Los Angeles during the mid sixties and visited Pink's fairly often but, the ex and I were never terribly impressed.

Again, I guess it always comes down to liking what you grew up eating.
            <message edited by Twinwillow on Sun, 05/12/13 10:44 AM>

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
              Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Sun, 05/12/13 10:59 AM (permalink)
              How the list was constructed is very suspect to me, as Gene & Judes at #18 is a joke...nothing more than a cult following vs quality dog and food.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints Wed, 05/22/13 9:38 AM (permalink)
                could be thew worst list ever!

boo to yahoo.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com