The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue?

Crazyfisherman

• Total Posts: 5
Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 05/16/13 5:44 AM (permalink)
Hi,
I want to create multi-language menu for tourist. 3-5 languages. What software do you use? 
I tried Microsoft Word. Its not usefull because
  1. I have to keep 5 different files. I should synchronously change price, order and other editing in them. 
  2. Now there is no problem to translate whole menu. I can send it online to translater and have result in few days. The problem will be when I later change 3-5 dished. Nobody wants to translate 10-20 words.
I'm sure I'm not the first man who decided to do multi-language menu. How you solved this issue ?
Thank's
Mike.  

jeffwllms

• Total Posts: 19
    Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 05/16/13 2:18 PM (permalink)
    I would use a page layout software like InDesign and use master sheets and layers to get away from re-entering prices, etc.  It is probably I little to costly for those that don't already have it.

With word you can still have 1 file it would just be multiple pages.

Crazyfisherman

Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 05/16/13 2:40 PM (permalink)
      Hi

Thank you for quick reply.

Do you mean to create layers with multi-lingual text and have a layer with price? Good idea! But you are right, indesign software is expensive. Excel and Word don't have layers. May be free Google Apps have. I'll see.

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
        Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 05/16/13 9:28 PM (permalink)
        I thought about a multi-language menu one time, lasted about 1 minute. If you can`t read my English menu, then point to the pictures I`ve provided.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
          Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 05/16/13 10:16 PM (permalink)
          Other than English & Spanish...what other 3 languages would you provide?

Unless you have a restaurant serving very traditional dishes from any given particular country with a native language and see many tourists from that country...it may be more work than solution.
          <message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 05/16/13 10:18 PM>

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 224
            Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 05/16/13 10:42 PM (permalink)
            I was going to jump on that same frame of thought...Cover the big bases and make it easy on you and everyone else...Even living in a very high tourist area (South Florida, the Keys, etc.) with a variety of different countries being represented at any given time English is usually good enough and Spanish for good measure.  For the most part tourists can get by with English pretty well prior to visiting.  

I like the idea if making it easier for guests/tourists but it might be more work than needed.  Good luck either way!!

CCinNJ

Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 05/16/13 10:48 PM (permalink)
              It also has the potential to peeve many customers that are looking at all of the languages with the "what is this world coming to?....this is America" thoughts.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Fri, 05/17/13 12:03 AM (permalink)
                Most people in the world can Read & Speak English except most 6th Graders in American Public Schools!

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
                  Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Fri, 05/17/13 3:02 AM (permalink)
                  Do you speak other languages?If not what is the point they read it but can't tell you what they want so....
                  other than that,post your menu in what ever language you want and then use the Google translator button.

Crazyfisherman

Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Fri, 05/17/13 8:15 AM (permalink)
                    FriedTater

I thought about a multi-language menu one time, lasted about 1 minute. If you can`t read my English menu, then point to the pictures I`ve provided.

I thought about pictuties. As for me to take good quality photos of dishes is much more costly then translate.

CCinNJ

Other than English & Spanish...what other 3 languages would you provide?

China, Japanese for example

CCinNJ

...it may be more work than solution.

I've already understand ....

Most people in the world can Read & Speak English except most 6th Graders in American Public Schools!

Do you speak other languages?If not what is the point they read it but can't tell you what they want so....
                    other than that,post your menu in what ever language you want and then use the Google translator button.

They can pick a dish in menu.
                    Google translate is stupid in cooking words. I tried.

It is very strange that there is no such software. There are hundreds of thousands of restaurants around the world.
                    Maybe I should forget about multi-language menu. It's very difficult.
                    <message edited by Crazyfisherman on Fri, 05/17/13 8:28 AM>

CCinNJ

Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Fri, 05/17/13 10:15 AM (permalink)
                      If you really want to do it...

The least expensive & safest way to translate is to contact language schools in the area & explain that you're trying to do this and it's important that your menu makes sense in that particular language...with nothing that could/would be considered offense since words phrases & descriptions from one language or culture don't always translate well...verbatim.

If they charge you anything to translate a menu...I doubt it would be much.
                      <message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 05/17/13 10:22 AM>

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
                        • Location: dodging,snakes,spiders,roaches, armadillos.opposso
                        Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Sat, 05/18/13 6:20 AM (permalink)
                        I agree,,, if you GOT to Colorado from east bum f#* without speaking any English your probably able to at least decipher a picture of a g*#d damn hamburger and point a long nail finger @ IT.. 

Crazyfisherman

Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Mon, 06/3/13 5:54 AM (permalink)
                          I've found something.
                          menumultitool.com
                          "Create, manage and translate menus for your cafe and restaurant"
                          I'll try and report my feedback here.

Crazyfisherman

Re:Multi-language menu. How you solved this issue? Thu, 06/13/13 9:39 AM (permalink)
                            Hi,

I've created my menu in menumultitool.com and I translated it into spain, chinese, japanese.
                            My issue with multilanguage menu resolved :)

So, this online service is just simple and free.
                            The big minus is a few templates. Not so much as in musthavemenus.com.  I couldn't  choose template from the list and I've used blank template for my menu without background image.  Looks not bad. At least it's easy to print :)
                            Editor is not so usable as microsoft word, but ...... finally I've got what I wanted :)

Good Luck.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com